RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New to Lexus and looking at a RX350

Old 05-19-16, 04:01 PM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus and looking at a RX350

Hey everyone!

I'm starting my customary car buying research. I'm brand new to Lexus actually! I've only ever owned two SUVs (2004 Subaru Forrester and a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited). My wife is currently driving the Santa Fe but we are seriously considering getting rid of it.

In my reading so far here, it seems many people when looking at 3rd Gen look for 2013-2015 models. Is there anything that I should know about the 2010-2012 models that would steer me clear? I found a local ad for a 2010 RX350:

"One owner 2010 model year with 126k mostly highway miles. Professionally maintained with all service records. Mint condition with no paint flaws or interior blemishes. Exterior paint color is Starfire Pearl with Simoniz clear coat sealant. Michelin tires with 35k warranted wear remaining and wheel locks. Premium and tow packages. Rearview camera, heated and ventilated seats. New windshield, battery and wiper blades. Non smoker and always garaged. Asking $14,995."

Is this typical? What sort of issues should I be looking for if I do go for a 2010-2012 model?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy
Old 05-19-16, 04:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome Jeremy. Glad you found CL.

Looks is one reason somebody selects either the early get or mid gen refresh RX. Rather than try to regurgitate the differences, I suggest you take a look at this thread from a former 450h owner. It's chock full of good information. Bert didn't miss a single detail. Just disregard the sections on hybrid components.

One thing I have to recommend, drive a few model years. Some people swear the later gen RXs are better. How true that is, I couldn't say. It might also help to take a look through the FAQs thread on top of the forum. Searching within the forum is another way to find information.

Good luck in your search.
Old 05-20-16, 08:07 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a 2010 RX350 for 3.5 years. I've had no problems with it at all. It has been an outstanding vehicle. I purchased it as a CPO in October 2012. It had only 3,400 miles on it! Currently, it has about 43,000 miles on it. So the miles are a lot lower than the advertised car. But if these cars are well maintained, they will last a long time. Based on my experience, I can't say there are any issues to be very concerned about.
Old 05-20-16, 12:42 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmaziarz
Hey everyone!

I'm starting my customary car buying research. I'm brand new to Lexus actually! I've only ever owned two SUVs (2004 Subaru Forrester and a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited). My wife is currently driving the Santa Fe but we are seriously considering getting rid of it.

In my reading so far here, it seems many people when looking at 3rd Gen look for 2013-2015 models. Is there anything that I should know about the 2010-2012 models that would steer me clear? I found a local ad for a 2010 RX350:

"One owner 2010 model year with 126k mostly highway miles. Professionally maintained with all service records. Mint condition with no paint flaws or interior blemishes. Exterior paint color is Starfire Pearl with Simoniz clear coat sealant. Michelin tires with 35k warranted wear remaining and wheel locks. Premium and tow packages. Rearview camera, heated and ventilated seats. New windshield, battery and wiper blades. Non smoker and always garaged. Asking $14,995."

Is this typical? What sort of issues should I be looking for if I do go for a 2010-2012 model?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy
I much prefer the look of the pre-2013 models, but I couldn't find a low-mileage sample so ended up with 2013. I find the ride with 19" rims to be overly harsh at slow speeds, but at 60+ it is silky smooth and very quiet, which is most important to me. I would 'guess' the ride of the pre-2013 is going to be softer, but can't be sure - this due to the current trend of Lexus trying to 'sportify' their lineup (the one brand that you could rely on to produce a quiet, smooth vehicle is now joining the crowded 'performance' field, which tends to mean stiffer suspensions). I find the latest RX350 to look hideous, but at least that makes the 2013 RX350 less jarring!
Old 05-21-16, 09:09 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

When you get the 19" wheel option, you have narrower sidewalls, which will give you a more harsh ride. I don't see it as "Lexus trying to 'sportify' their lineup", as 18" wheels are standard on the 2013. Of course, when you buy used, you can't check off every option box...you do have to accept some things that might not be just what you want. As for the latest RX350 looking "hideous"...to each his own, right?

I have never been afraid of buying a high-mileage vehicle, and you certainly should not be too concerned with a one-owner, well-maintained Lexus. Because the one you are looking at is high-mileage, fewer people will be interested in it, which gives you leverage for a lower offer. At this time, a 2013 with half as many miles will cost you nearly twice as much.

If the owner has the records to support his maintenance, I would have my mechanic check it out for me, and make an offer if he gives the thumbs up. I wouldn't be surprised if the seller accepted a $13K cash offer.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-16, 11:21 AM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses so far. The original RX I was looking at was sold unfortunately. My new prospect is from a nearby used dealer. From a few posts on this forum I found an excellent resource (drivers.lexus.com) and was able to get the full service history.

Apparently the RX has only one former owner before it went to auction. She kept up on the maintenance all the way up to and including th 90K mile service where presumably she traded it in shortly after.

The last item on the service history is:

IRA LEXUS PREOWNED MAINTENANCE INSPECTION FRONT BRAKES_______________MM REAR BRAKES___________MM - IRA LEXUS PRE - OWNED MAINTENANCE INSPECTION FRONT BRAKES_______________MM REAR BRAKES___________MM L/F TIRE_______R/F TIRE_______L/R TIRE_______R/R TIRE______ - 92644 COMPLETED WORKS CHECK, REC. WHOLESALE. VEHICLE GOING TO AUCTION PER AK

Is there a reason why Lexus would send a vehicle to auction vs. selling it CPO? What exactly does "COMPLETED WORKS CHECK, REC. WHOLESALE." mean?
Old 05-23-16, 11:46 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

You answered your own question about why it was sent to auction when you indicated it had over 90,000 miles. I would say there are 3 classification categories for trade in vehicles. First class are those that qualify for CPO due to condition, age, low mileage and known service history. Second class are those that do not qualify for CPO but are good enough to sell on the dealer lot. They may have a slightly rougher overall condition or higher mileage . Third class are those too old and with too high a mileage, or a rough interior or exterior or unknown service history to be warranted and sold by the Lexus dealer.
Always be very careful with third party independent sellers. Get the CarFax, and maybe also the Autocheck report as they each sometimes omit something that is caught by the other.
I think the last sentence you ask about means they checked out the mechanical condition and recommended the vehicle be wholesaled and not sold by the dealer. I think you may want to consider getting it checked out by a mechanic.

Also call that Lexus dealer and speak to the service writer who handled the account and the person AK, as they will know the car. They are usually more than willing to discuss a potential purchase.
Old 05-23-16, 11:49 AM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Clutchless!
Old 05-23-16, 01:57 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Good luck and if you do get it and the transmission has not been flushed, I recommend getting it done at either a Toyota or Lexus dealer as it is a unique complicated procedure that only they know how to do. The cost is around $300.
Old 05-23-16, 02:27 PM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Good luck and if you do get it and the transmission has not been flushed, I recommend getting it done at either a Toyota or Lexus dealer as it is a unique complicated procedure that only they know how to do. The cost is around $300.
Thanks for the suggestion. The Service History doesn't indicate that it was done, is there any way I could check/know otherwise?
Old 05-23-16, 02:32 PM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

A couple threads that may be helpful to others doing research:

* https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-350-a.html
* https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ssues-etc.html
Old 05-23-16, 02:41 PM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion. The Service History doesn't indicate that it was done, is there any way I could check/know otherwise?
I guess this answers my question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8906378

You can't know really.
Old 05-23-16, 02:58 PM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

According to this thread, leaky rear struts can apparently be an issue.

I found a video of a guy replacing the rear struts on his 2010 RX. After he gets the first one off he shows what a leaky rear strut can look like:

Old 05-23-16, 08:35 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey everyone! I'm starting my customary car buying research. I'm brand new to Lexus actually! I've only ever owned two SUVs (2004 Subaru Forrester and a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited). My wife is currently driving the Santa Fe but we are seriously considering getting rid of it. In my reading so far here, it seems many people when looking at 3rd Gen look for 2013-2015 models. Is there anything that I should know about the 2010-2012 models that would steer me clear? I found a local ad for a 2010 RX350: "One owner 2010 model year with 126k mostly highway miles. Professionally maintained with all service records. Mint condition with no paint flaws or interior blemishes. Exterior paint color is Starfire Pearl with Simoniz clear coat sealant. Michelin tires with 35k warranted wear remaining and wheel locks. Premium and tow packages. Rearview camera, heated and ventilated seats. New windshield, battery and wiper blades. Non smoker and always garaged. Asking $14,995." Is this typical? What sort of issues should I be looking for if I do go for a 2010-2012 model? Thanks in advance! Jeremy
Have you seen this?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=144041099

Seems worth it for not much more.
Old 05-24-16, 06:06 AM
jmaziarz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rj4510
Have you seen this?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=144041099

Seems worth it for not much more.
Thanks for the pointer. Looking at the service history it seems that car was not maintained nearly as well. I'll keep it on my list though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Lexus and looking at a RX350