RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trying to make sense of the Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 12:30 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to make sense of the Navigation system

I'm new to the Lexus navigation system, and the first time I used it I was impressed that I could speak street names while driving. But the other day I wanted to get directions to the local IKEA store, and I could not get it to accept a business name (through the voice menus while driving). Is there a way to do this? I just spent a few hours looking through the navigation manual and it seems to support voice selection of POIs, but not shopping locations, perhaps? I also found myself at one point on a menu where Target stores showed up, but not the IKEA. Maybe they only display stores who pay for placement?

I solved the problem by using Waze on my phone, but I'd like to figure this out if possible ... because I'm a nerd ...
Old 05-10-16, 01:30 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steerpike
Maybe they only display stores who pay for placement?
Ding ding ding.

I can't remember the name of the service (Navitech/navistar/navisomethingorother). If you don't pay, you don't show up on their database.
Old 05-10-16, 02:52 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
Ding ding ding.

I can't remember the name of the service (Navitech/navistar/navisomethingorother). If you don't pay, you don't show up on their database.
Yeah, tried again today, and 'find nearby Walmart' worked, and 'find nearby Target' worked - but no IKEA. I then trawled through the screens for POI /Category / Shopping, and found Walmart and Target, but not IKEA.

BUT - if I go through the menus, and choose 'POI' / 'Name', and enter IKEA, it finds the place without any problem.

So in summary - POI / Category / Shopping does not find IKEA, but POI / Name does. But the voice recognition system only seems to allow you to search by POI / Category ... but maybe I'm wrong ...
Old 05-10-16, 03:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm not sure what year your RX is, but I have much better success while on the road if I use Destination Search (previously Bing) through Enform. Or if I know before I go, I'll send it to the car from my phone, which makes it pretty easy.
Old 05-10-16, 08:54 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steerpike
Yeah, tried again today, and 'find nearby Walmart' worked, and 'find nearby Target' worked - but no IKEA. I then trawled through the screens for POI /Category / Shopping, and found Walmart and Target, but not IKEA.

BUT - if I go through the menus, and choose 'POI' / 'Name', and enter IKEA, it finds the place without any problem.

So in summary - POI / Category / Shopping does not find IKEA, but POI / Name does. But the voice recognition system only seems to allow you to search by POI / Category ... but maybe I'm wrong ...
More experimentation, and puzzlement, tonight ...

(all voice commands):
1) Find Nearby Safeway - works (presents a list of nearby Safeways)
2) Find Nearby Whole Foods - "pardon"?
3) Find Nearby Grocery Stores - works - presents a list of nearby Grocery stores, INCLUDING Whole Foods (and Safeways)! So it 'knows' about Whole Foods, and Safeway, but will only allow me to name Safeway directly, not Whole Foods!

Not sure I can make sense of that yet!

Also - is there no way to get the voice command system to display the address book? I can - while driving - use the 'mouse' to access the address book, but can't seem to find a voice command to do likewise. This seems very limited and contrary to the idea of using voice rather than touch for safety.

I'm just giving this one last shot before abandoning it (as I have always done in every car!) as a destination method, and using my phone. I still like having a big-*** map display on my screen, makes a nice companion to Waze or Google Maps!
Old 05-11-16, 08:42 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

A possible reason for why you're not being deluged with assistance and wisdom from the community is that we're hoping that new eyes (yours) will find a solution for the rest of us to adopt.

(I use the Enform app on my phone to search and add the location(s) to the navigation prior to my trips - and use the onboard Enform app to find places while on the road. Unfortunately, Lexus screwed up a good thing by replacing the original search app with the current version - which limits you to but several seconds of list while mobile - totally ignoring the fact that most of us have a copilot while on the road.)

Good luck.

Pardon?