RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX driven while being serviced at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 06:54 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
i know rld14, i have friends who own a body shop, they can fix it for me but it will cost me x amount you know i dont want to get it done as a favor cuz i will owe them one in return, better just pay something. If i were to mess up the bumper myself i would not bug the dealership, but since they were supposed to fix it in the 1st place, i think it is only fair when i bug them for something that should've been done before i picked up a car. I finally spoke with a manager today, he said it seems like whatever they've been doing is not working and "at this point it seems like clips are not holding in the way they should so we most likely will have to replace the bumper". I guess i just must annoy them enough to get the result i was supposed to get originally. asked them if i can drop the car off some time this week to get a new bumper but quiet as of yet, hopefully issue will be solved.
I had this same issue with the rear when I purchased the car. It had the slightest dimple under the marker, so something did tap it and the bumper wouldn't stay put. I had to go back a few times and be annoying, but after all things failed, I got a new bumper skin. They are hoping they don't have to fork out over 1k for the repair, but stay on them. Mine thought it was a $50 fix. I was hoping it was a $50 fix, but really insisted on it being repaired at contract signing, just in case it was more. The car was mint otherwise. All I could think of is that it got damaged on the lot, but alas, it was damaged and now looks great. Super annoying to get something new and have to keep after the dealer for something.

The car may be pre-owned, but you are not being picky. There's no reason why the bumper should be hanging off of it. They obviously tried to get away with not fixing it in the first place. You win some and lose some. Their loss in this case. Just keep after them. Internet reviews go a long way to getting things fixed.
Old 05-11-16, 06:52 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the two times they did a glue thing on my bumper cost them $159 each time which is already a price of an OEM bumper technically, couldve done that in the first place and just forget about it i guess. Going to the dealer on Friday morning, they agreed to replace it so i wont have to come back there weekly, lets hope it works out because otherwise car is in great conditions, just have to buff and wax it nicely when im done with finals.
Old 05-22-16, 10:31 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Update
I dropped RX off at the dealer again on May 13th. I spoke with the sales manager guy since they said its their responsibility as well as service manager and service adviser. All 3 of them told me that the bumper will be replaced, brand new and painted. I double-checked multiple times with all of them to make sure we understand each other and they guaranteed it. A week later (yesterday) i picked up the car, unfortunately i couldnt do a good inspection right the way because it was raining outside and i had to run to school. Today i came to the car and decided to have a look at the "new" bumper. Next thing i see is the same old bumper i gave them the car with. However this time instead of putting the glue on the outer side of the bumper like they did before, these guys took their sweet time to take the bumper off, break a couple of pins that hold body cover (where the wheels are)which i must purchase now, its like $4 per 2 pins at AutoZone, and put the glue on the inner side of the bumper and put it back on. Lucky me- today was warm and that glue came off and I'm back to square one with this *****. I took a few minutes of my time and pulled the body cover off (by the wheels) and i discovered glue on the inside, so all that new bumper talk was pure bull****. Yet i double-checked before picking up the car if it was new and i was told it was indeed new bumper. So this is pretty much the situation. It is frustrating because i had to take days out off work in order to make it to the dealership in order to pick up and drop off the car, losing money and time and the issue is still there, they bs me around thinking I'm not gonna do a good inspection. In January when i had my 2010 hit and bumper was replaced and painted, i could smell fresh paint inside the car for about 2 weeks, which is not the case here. it doesn't smell or look new, its the old clip-less bumper stuffed with glue that keeps on coming off when the surface and glue itself heats up. I have had the car for one month and one week exactly as of today, 3 weeks out of that time, my car spent at the dealer's shop getting "repaired" and i was driving various loaners. My question would be,is there anything i can do at this point that would not involve me getting the bumper by myself and doing all the work (paying out of pocket)? Maybe there is something legally i can press against the dealership for bsing and not fixing what they were supposed to fix long time ago.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. TIA

Last edited by Yurka; 05-22-16 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 09:15 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Did you happen to get a work order for the bumper? If so, show them the work order and insist they deliver. Also a great idea to document everything in detail. Amazing how well a formal complaint letter to management will work with all critical documentation. If they don't budge, tell them customer service will sink a business far faster than any competition and that you are about to paste your complaint, with documentation on every automotive dealership review site possible. Send them a link to the fist one you posted, in case they don't believe you and give them an opportunity to correct. If corrected, then remove the review. If not, plaster away. You will get their attention.
Old 05-24-16, 07:10 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Along these lines I thought I'd pass on this anecdote from about 10 years ago, and a local Volvo dealer. They were located a bit out of town, and had a private roadway behind them, shaped like a square, about a quarter mile on each side. Good place to test drive cars before or after repairs, etc.

For some unfathomable reason, the service techs started a routine in which they typically drove around this square on the LEFT side of the road. Evidently they'd done this for a long time.
Then someone evidently forgot to tell The New Guy. Head on collision between two pretty new cars...that was the end of that routine.

Also on a different tack, I went there for service one time, and they did the necessary work just fine. When I got home, I noticed that they had fixed a previously broken grill component (cosmetic only)...and since they didn't mention to me that they'd done this gratis, I kind of wondered if they thought they might have damaged the grill themselves...nice bonus for me.
Old 05-24-16, 09:23 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can speak for the repair side of things . I own a body shop and have dealt with this problem many times including my own 11 RX .There is a little tab on the edge of the bumper in that corner that is very thin and weak . It snaps into the clip that is bolted to the fender . Between the two parts there is not enough meat on them to hold on to each other . We have replaced the clip on the fender side which has helped in some cases . But the real problem is the tab on the bumper cover. The way I repaired mine was to use 2 part adhesive that body shops use to glue body panels on . The mating surfaces have to be super clean to get a good bond . Mine has lasted a couple of months so far . Its not perfect but it will have to do . A new OEM bumper cover with labor and painting will be over 1000.00 . The clip assembly is about 65.00 .
Old 06-21-16, 03:44 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Take them to a smal claim court

Originally Posted by Yurka
Update
I dropped RX off at the dealer again on May 13th. I spoke with the sales manager guy since they said its their responsibility as well as service manager and service adviser. All 3 of them told me that the bumper will be replaced, brand new and painted. I double-checked multiple times with all of them to make sure we understand each other and they guaranteed it. A week later (yesterday) i picked up the car, unfortunately i couldnt do a good inspection right the way because it was raining outside and i had to run to school. Today i came to the car and decided to have a look at the "new" bumper. Next thing i see is the same old bumper i gave them the car with. However this time instead of putting the glue on the outer side of the bumper like they did before, these guys took their sweet time to take the bumper off, break a couple of pins that hold body cover (where the wheels are)which i must purchase now, its like $4 per 2 pins at AutoZone, and put the glue on the inner side of the bumper and put it back on. Lucky me- today was warm and that glue came off and I'm back to square one with this *****. I took a few minutes of my time and pulled the body cover off (by the wheels) and i discovered glue on the inside, so all that new bumper talk was pure bull****. Yet i double-checked before picking up the car if it was new and i was told it was indeed new bumper. So this is pretty much the situation. It is frustrating because i had to take days out off work in order to make it to the dealership in order to pick up and drop off the car, losing money and time and the issue is still there, they bs me around thinking I'm not gonna do a good inspection. In January when i had my 2010 hit and bumper was replaced and painted, i could smell fresh paint inside the car for about 2 weeks, which is not the case here. it doesn't smell or look new, its the old clip-less bumper stuffed with glue that keeps on coming off when the surface and glue itself heats up. I have had the car for one month and one week exactly as of today, 3 weeks out of that time, my car spent at the dealer's shop getting "repaired" and i was driving various loaners. My question would be,is there anything i can do at this point that would not involve me getting the bumper by myself and doing all the work (paying out of pocket)? Maybe there is something legally i can press against the dealership for bsing and not fixing what they were supposed to fix long time ago.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. TIA
1.Put every piece of paper related to the issue together.
2.Get an estimate for how much it would cost to fix it.
3. Calculate your losses (time off work, etc.)
4. go to a small claim court in your borough- you can sue them for up to $3000.

Good luck
Old 06-21-16, 08:51 PM
rj4510
Instructor

As soon as you take them to court, plaster detailed negative reviews, including needing to take them to court on cars.com, car gurus and every other site us folks read before purchasing and sock it to them where it matters. Their bottom line. Reviews like those are golden. They will usually request you to take them down, if they met your expectations. It's up to you what you do at that point.
Old 06-22-16, 06:27 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad experience while purchasing my RX. The initially estimate for my CT was 6k below market value and the sales woman wouldn't budge on MSRP for ES350 (I was looking at ES at that point but changed to RX later). I gave a scathing review. I got several emails and calls back - they made it right. I had bought 2 cars from them in last 3 years - so not sure if that had anything to do with it but at least it worked.

Doesn't hurt to give a bad review - at least it will be an honest one.