RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 07:54 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by airboss
One of my co-workers made a big stink about buying his wife a Lexus ES Hybrid (my wife has a Toyota Avalon Hybrid). He would not believe me that it was the same car, with different badges. When I finally showed him enough internet reviews, he was pissed and called the Lexus dealer and started ranting at them. LOL
I guess that all depends on the wife.

Wife A: My husband is a cheap SOB for buying me a Toyota instead of a Lexus
Wife B: My husband is smart and savvy for buying me a Toyota instead of a Lexus.

Sometimes the price of the badge alone is worth it, sometimes it isn't.
Old 05-03-16, 06:40 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droid13

Wife B: My husband is smart and savvy for buying me a Toyota instead of a Lexus.

True. I am VERY lucky in that my wife loves comfort and feel to the car, not color, not style, not price. She loves her second Avalon. I tried to get her into a BMW or a Lexus, but she didn't care, she liked the Toyota.

When we were first married, I took her to have new tires put on her car. Back in those days, the tire dealer asked whether you wanted the white or black wall showing? She looked at the guy and said 'why would I care, I can't see them as I'm driving.' She wasn't hung up on the Lexus badge for her Avalon.

When I started looking at RX350, I first went and drove a 2013 at a Toyota dealer. I really liked it, but it was black on black, and a bit over-priced. While there, we drove a 2015 Highlander (I was surprised how much I liked it, but didn't really need the extra size). She said 'buy the Lexus, it rides better.'
Old 05-03-16, 07:26 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13

I have wife C: she doesn't care what she drives or what I buy for her or for me.

Last year I traded in her pristine low mileage 2008 SC430 for a Ford F-150. She was ecstatic that we got $10k off sticker on the F150 and dealer gave us $30k for her SC430.

Today her favorite car is our Nissan Electric Leaf since it only costs 2 cents per mile to drive and it's easy to maneuver and park.

She did get upset when I sold her motorcycle and worst when I sold our last airplane, which she loved to fly. That was an expensive sport. My kind of woman.

Last edited by FLYCT; 05-03-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 08:52 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like ill be doing my own oil changes!

$5 Toyota filters and synthetic 0W20 here I come. All in <$50.
Old 05-06-16, 08:58 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tdott
Looks like ill be doing my own oil changes!

$5 Toyota filters and synthetic 0W20 here I come. All in <$50.
With all due respect, where are you getting the $5 filters? Even the Toyota filter is going for $8 online.

Man, I wish I had the time to do my parents Lexus', just dont' have the time.
Old 05-06-16, 10:35 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Was this for a standalone oil change or a '10K Service' interval (or similar)? They bundle other stuff in with the broader service at my local dealer that drives up the cost unless you select a la carte. I pull those out and do the air filter myself for example.

Also suggest you regularly check your local dealer site for specials. Don't always have the right deal that fits what I need, but worth checking.

http://www.lexusoforlando.com/Servic...rvice-Specials

If you're a Costco member, they also have a service discount coupon I take into my dealer if they don't have a monthly deal that matches what I need.
Yeah, they rotated the tires and checked a bunch of stuff too. The labor was 2 hours.
I'm not sure if this was called a 10K checkup (I think the car has 12K on it now).
Old 05-07-16, 07:23 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
With all due respect, where are you getting the $5 filters? Even the Toyota filter is going for $8 online.

I buy my Toyota filters at the local dealership in person which is only $5 including filter gaskets/drain and oil plug gasket.

The online retailers up-charge the price of the filters to about $7 or $8.

I also tried to buy them online but noticed that I could get them cheaper just by stopping at the dealership.

Weird, since it was the complete opposite when it comes to Mercedes/Infiniti oil filters since they were cheaper online.
Old 05-07-16, 08:06 PM
tdott
Driver

http://amzn.to/1QViZCE
5pk for $24.20.

If you buy the 10pk it's even less.

Amazon doesn't list the '10-'15 rx450h in the fitment guide, but I guarantee you 100% it's the same filter that Lexus/Toyota uses.
04152-YZZA6
Old 05-08-16, 12:50 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

http://amzn.to/1QViZCE
5pk for $24.20.

If you buy the 10pk it's even less.

Amazon doesn't list the '10-'15 rx450h in the fitment guide, but I guarantee you 100% it's the same filter that Lexus/Toyota uses.
04152-YZZA6
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-11-16, 10:43 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our one and only Lexus dealership charges $120 for an oil change (which I thought was ridiculous). A Toyota dealership charges $75. Guess where I go?

Last edited by klwagoner; 05-11-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 11:00 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Went ahead and took mine in to Lexus for it's 50,000 mile service. Even with the Costco 15% coupon it cost me $150. Of course I did get a free car wash. AND free coffee and donuts. You just can't put a price on that.
Old 05-11-16, 11:01 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by klwagoner
Our one and only Lexus dealership charges $120 (which I thought was ridiculous). A Toyota dealership charges $75. Guess where I go?
Yes, I'm re-evaluating where we take our Lexus vehicles. Our ES is out of warranty and is driven very little. Our RX is at 65K miles and each "major service" is very expensive. Like I mentioned in another thread, our dealer will NOT service the transmission which ticks me off. I got it done at a local Toyota dealer and noticed it drives better.

To be honest, both Lexus and Toyota's garages are super clean, reception area is nicely equipped (TV, lounging area, shuttle service, rental option). Although at my Lexus dealer, you can get pastries and a latte (if that means anything to you).

This is what is great about having a Lexus model that shares it's platforms with a Toyota. Gotta love that.
Old 05-11-16, 11:15 AM
tdott
Driver

Originally Posted by klwagoner
Our one and only Lexus dealership charges $120 for an oil change (which I thought was ridiculous). A Toyota dealership charges $75. Guess where I go?
I assuming that is also 0W20 synthetic oil right?

If so $120 sounds like an good deal!
Old 05-11-16, 11:18 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

I assuming that is also 0W20 synthetic oil right?

If so $120 sounds like an good deal!
When I take the Lexus and Toyota vehicles to their respective dealers, they always put in the "Toyota" synthetic oil (0W-20).

$120 is deal? Well, a deal compared to a German luxury dealer for sure, LOL.
Old 05-11-16, 11:33 AM
tdott
Driver

When I take the Lexus and Toyota vehicles to their respective dealers, they always put in the "Toyota" synthetic oil (0W-20).

$120 is deal? Well, a deal compared to a German luxury dealer for sure, LOL.
lol, sorry I screwed up, i meant the $75 cost at Toyota was the deal, typed the wrong price! LOL

Quick Reply: Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$