RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 03:01 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Your dealer charged you for twelve of these:
Does it suggest anything to you?
There were some missing, I asked the technician to check... don't think there were twelve missing, though.
However, I am perfectly aware that basically dealers and thieves have a lot in common...
Old 04-30-16, 05:51 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by airboss
One of my co-workers made a big stink about buying his wife a Lexus ES Hybrid (my wife has a Toyota Avalon Hybrid). He would not believe me that it was the same car, with different badges. When I finally showed him enough internet reviews, he was pissed and called the Lexus dealer and started ranting at them. LOL
LOL.

To really **** off your co-woker just clarify that the Lexus ES is really a re-badged Toyota Camry with more tech.

The Avalon is actually a larger car than the ES with no direct Lexus equivalent.

Edit:

I may be incorrect about the ES being on the Camry platform since the 2016 models does seem to be based on the larger Avalon platform.

The older pre-2016 ES models were based on the Camry.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-...ota_camry_2016

Last edited by carguy75; 04-30-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 08:49 AM
Jodar96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Oil and Filter every 5K with 5W20

We bought our RX350 with 32K miles in June 2013. It has 68K miles now. I have always changed the oil/filter myself.

OEM filter cost $4.80 and I buy three 5 quart name brand 5W20 at Walmart for $36. The RX takes 6.5 quarts so what I buy is for two oil changes.

The manual says you can use 5W20 BUT change it at 5K. I don't like the oil no matter how good it is to stay there for 10K miles. I use conventional oil and change it every 5K.

The only vehicle that I use synthetic oil in is my 2009 Mercedes E350 because that car say only to use 0W-40 synthetic oil. Even in that car, I change the oil every 5K miles.

Some of Lexus and Toyota engines, as one member said earlier, are pretty much the same.
Old 05-01-16, 09:33 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, extremely silly question: is the RX filter a "can" or "catridge" filter & how difficult is it to do?
Old 05-01-16, 10:11 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Cartridge filter. Look at the video in this link - the Highlander has the same engine
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...fications.html
Old 05-01-16, 12:07 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Cartridge filter. Look at the video in this link - the Highlander has the same engine
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...fications.html
Thanks! Thats what I was afraid of.
Old 05-01-16, 01:30 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Here's an RX350 getting an oil change:

another: fast forward to 5:00 to see the changing of the oil and filter.

Old 05-01-16, 05:49 PM
BP1203
Rookie

Same thing happened to me when I took my wife's old ES for the first paid oil change. I almost laughed at the guy when he brought the car back to my office. Called the service manager at the local Toyota dealer who took care of our 4Runner. Told me to look at how many Lexus cars are in parking lot next time I came.

Only thing I've been back to Lexus for is warranty work to replace a leaking rear shock.

Guy told me I needed new rotors. Told them to cut them. Told me they were too thin to cut. Took to local speed shop, had them cut, dropped a new set of pads on all four corners, she stops like new.

Will never, never take a car to Lexus and pay for service. I am also finding our local Lexus dealer a little slimy-the junk mail, the junk emails, etc. I ended up opting out. not what I expect from a premium dealer.

Last edited by BP1203; 05-01-16 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 07:05 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by BP1203

Will never, never take a car to Lexus and pay for service. I am also finding our local Lexus dealer a little slimy-the junk mail, the junk emails, etc. I ended up opting out. not what I expect from a premium dealer.
I take my parents cars to the dealer so they don't give me crap on warranty stuff. I've had to take my dad's RX back a few times for warranty claims. (bad shock.... twice, bad water pump, rusting roof rack bolts and something else I can't think of now). Like I mentioned before, I also have very little time to work on them as I live about 1 hour away.

Which dealer do you (or not) use?

I use Lexus of Lehigh Valley. They are pretty good, but have me ticked off on their insistence on the transmission being "un-serviceable".
Old 05-02-16, 03:34 AM
BP1203
Rookie

Lexus of Wilmington DE.

Even under warranty I take the car to Toyota. They follow the factory schedule, use factory parts, etc. I change air filters, etc myself but it's a lot easier to take to Toyota for fluid changes.
Old 05-02-16, 10:06 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Scheduled an appointment with Lexus today for the RX 50,000 mile service. $175, which really only includes oil change, tire rotation and some visual inspections. . Even with my Costco 15% discount it will be around $150. Supposedly the 60,000 service is a big one so I'll take it in then but after that I'm going to try Toyota or do it myself. I used to always change the oil in our RAV 4. Same engine but the RX seems a little harder to get to with all it's covers.
Old 05-02-16, 10:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

The covers are not in the way of an oil change. None have to be removed. Look at the video above.
Old 05-02-16, 11:17 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

IYep: No covers, confirmed, I looked under our '10 RX and see the bottom of the filter.
Old 05-02-16, 11:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by airboss
One of my co-workers made a big stink about buying his wife a Lexus ES Hybrid (my wife has a Toyota Avalon Hybrid). He would not believe me that it was the same car, with different badges. When I finally showed him enough internet reviews, he was pissed and called the Lexus dealer and started ranting at them. LOL
Rub some more salt in the wound. Point out that the Lexus ES, Camry, and Avalon are all made on the same assembly line in Georgetown KY.
Old 05-03-16, 05:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BP1203
I am also finding our local Lexus dealer a little slimy-the junk mail, the junk emails, etc. I ended up opting out. not what I expect from a premium dealer.
I have experienced the same thing..

I purchased our RX from a different dealer than I had purchased my previous Lexus' from. My long time (10+ year) salesman had left and let's just say the new sales person I was dealing with lacked basic communication skills. So I went to a different dealer.

While the sales person was great, (although she just recently left) I also get these ridiculous "bait and switch" marketing pieces that are usually used by non premium dealers. I was also constantly getting calls to bring my RX in for service even though it wasn't due, I kindly told the person several times not to call but they kept calling.

I was also getting calls to explain their service specials even though I told them my RX was only 3 months old at the time so I get complimentary maintenance. These calls and emails continued for most of the first year even though I opted out several times. And to top it off the service dept is a big step down from what I had been accustomed to. Overall it's just an unprofessional atmosphere compared to my previous dealer.

Moving forward I am going to do any service at my previous dealer, as well as purchase any future Lexus vehicles from them too.

Quick Reply: Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$