RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Strange Experience At Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 08:52 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange Experience At Lexus Dealer

So I needed a part for our Gen 2 RX350. While at the dealership, I decided to begin our search for a replacement for our other SUV. We're happy with our current RX350 so this seemed like a good place to begin. I made a simple request, and asked if they had any used RX350s under $30K. There was some discussion between the sales folks and someone (apparently a manager) was asked if there were any and the response was no, they had none at that price range. All the sales folks agreed, there were none. OK, no problem, I walked out to our car, hopped in and began backing up. A sales dude comes running out, asks if I'm looking for an RX350 for under $30K, I respond "yes" and he says he has one to show me.
Well, it turns out they had about a half dozen including a few that are Lexus Certified.
So what's going on? I could understand if they had only one but six and some certified????
I'm wondering if this was an innocent mistake or the first step to see if they could up the amount spent. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-16, 12:05 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I think they were hoping your bottom line would come up before you walked. I think snagging you as you walked is the oldest sales trick in the book. I would shop elsewhere, but that's just me.
Ray A.
Old 04-13-16, 03:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Ray, you're probably right. It's a pretty lame thing for the dealer to do. I'd look elsewhere too. Hope the experience doesn't take the 3RX off your list. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-13-16, 06:12 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
I think they were hoping your bottom line would come up before you walked. I think snagging you as you walked is the oldest sales trick in the book. I would shop elsewhere, but that's just me.
Ray A.
I agree, and I would also shop elsewhere..
Old 04-14-16, 10:07 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know why I expect Lexus stores to be better than that, but I do. I'm routinely disappointed. Even at the dealer where we've bought 4 of them. We're looking at our 5th in a few months, and I'll try a different dealer.
Old 04-14-16, 01:20 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's idiotic.

Heaven forbid one of my salespeople did that. At the very least my team would check with me before letting a customer walk, frequently I know of incoming trades and lease returns.
Old 04-15-16, 07:47 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost two years ago I purchased my first new Lexus. Dealership purchase/sales experience was borderline incompetent. Lexus corporate needs to kick some butt.
Old 04-15-16, 09:40 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately there is so much they can do from the pool of employees of what ever the area/region they are located in. South FL specifically....its normal to expect something like this. When visiting Lexus of Palm Beach or anywhere north of Fort Lauderdale - service and quality changes. I have been using same sales/finance manager forever...lately I have done all deals through txt then just pick the car up. Hate going into dealerships.
Old 04-15-16, 10:17 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdshaw
Almost two years ago I purchased my first new Lexus. Dealership purchase/sales experience was borderline incompetent. Lexus corporate needs to kick some butt.
As a manager at a Lexus store I feel your pain.

It is very difficult to retain good salespeople, especially in the new car department. Thankfully we have a good staff but it's the hardest position to fill in the store.
Old 04-15-16, 01:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This was disappointing to read.

I've absolutely loved my dealer experience. I always use the same salesman there. He's been at that dealer for 19 years.
Old 04-17-16, 05:40 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

I went to my local store, after seeing a 2013 at a local Toyota dealer for $33.5. I told them I'd like to have something in the $35k range and they showed me a 2013. I did tell them I would be going to look at the one at the Toyota dealer and price was an issue.

I found a 2015 for $35.2 (which I ended up buying) and e-mailed the spec sheet to the salesperson and asked if she could come anywhere close. She just told me I could look at their website to see their inventory and pricing. I was a bit shocked she didn't even try to work on pricing, etc.

Good news, I figure, when I go to sell mine, it should appear a bargain compared to what they ask for used vehicles.
Old 04-18-16, 05:43 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jdshaw
I've had my RX350 for three years now. I couldn't be happier with the car. A+ all the way.
However, my sales experience was by far the worst I've ever had in 40 years of car buying.
To call it "incompetent" would be charitable. Horrific experience.
Old 04-18-16, 07:49 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Originally Posted by budwom
I've had my RX350 for three years now. I couldn't be happier with the car. A+ all the way.
However, my sales experience was by far the worst I've ever had in 40 years of car buying.
To call it "incompetent" would be charitable. Horrific experience.
General manager, sales manager, and sales person were all going through the motions. Making stuff up as they went along. Lexus corporate would be shocked. The service experience has been very good however.
Old 04-18-16, 08:38 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sales is a tough position to fill in any field. Another factor is internal culture and how management forms it.

I have been in such disappointing situation to the point of them being angry at me for getting away with a good deal. Becoming irritated and upset when I ask for detailed information on the deal...fees, original price, current price, options etc. Swapping cars on delivery, and trying to convince me that I do not need a sunroof as originally ordered. Then the ***** "look the car already came in, right...its no different from what you want" huffing and puffing haha. The stories we all have last a while.

Edit: best is dealing with monthly payments not actual price. "Ok sir, we lowered your payment from 300 to 250" Then later seeing that they moved the financing from 4 to 5 years etc. Crap like that. But I generally experience this at entry level manufacturers.

I since switched to online bargaining, do not ever walk into a dealership. Unless for service.
Old 04-18-16, 02:34 PM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by roadbike56
So I needed a part for our Gen 2 RX350. While at the dealership, I decided to begin our search for a replacement for our other SUV. We're happy with our current RX350 so this seemed like a good place to begin. I made a simple request, and asked if they had any used RX350s under $30K. There was some discussion between the sales folks and someone (apparently a manager) was asked if there were any and the response was no, they had none at that price range. All the sales folks agreed, there were none. OK, no problem, I walked out to our car, hopped in and began backing up. A sales dude comes running out, asks if I'm looking for an RX350 for under $30K, I respond "yes" and he says he has one to show me.
Well, it turns out they had about a half dozen including a few that are Lexus Certified.
So what's going on? I could understand if they had only one but six and some certified????
I'm wondering if this was an innocent mistake or the first step to see if they could up the amount spent. Any thoughts?
Strange indeed ... for a Lexus dealership (or any luxury car dealership).

Name that dealership!