RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed in 2014 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 07:36 PM
adgvpm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in 2014 RX350

My newly purchased 2014 RX350 has been a rattling POS since the 500 mile mark of purchase. This car just does not feel very solid. I continue to have rattles from the rear seats (fixed once), passenger B-pillar area, front doors, and dash. The drivers side mirror vibrates at highway speed (known issue) and the hood also "flexes" when driving at highway speeds. I also had to replace a cracked windshield that probably cracked due to all the flexing in this body.
Maybe I'm just more observant than the average driver, but I certainly don't expect this in a $50K car and especially a Lexus. Maybe the RX just can't handle the crappy Michigan roads and should only be sold in fair weather states with smooth surfaces and warmer weather. Talk all you want about reliability, but this SUV is not as solid as it's German competitors. Heck, its not even as solid or as quiet as my friend's new Ford Edge or Chevy Equinox. I definitely think that Lexus/Toyota has taken a step backwards with the quality of their materials - this SUV isn't even feel as solid as my 1999 RX300.
Bottom Line: I like the way the car looks, its size is just right, and I really want to like this car but I just can't get beyond my disappointment in the many squeaks and rattles.
Old 03-28-16, 08:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sorry to hear about your rattles. Those are tough to deal with. Mine is a '13, but luckily no squeaks, rattles, or flexing. A very solid car for us.

Good luck in finding some resolution.
Old 03-28-16, 08:45 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adgvpm
My newly purchased 2014 RX350 has been a rattling POS since the 500 mile mark of purchase. This car just does not feel very solid. I continue to have rattles from the rear seats (fixed once), passenger B-pillar area, front doors, and dash. The drivers side mirror vibrates at highway speed (known issue) and the hood also "flexes" when driving at highway speeds. I also had to replace a cracked windshield that probably cracked due to all the flexing in this body.
Maybe I'm just more observant than the average driver, but I certainly don't expect this in a $50K car and especially a Lexus. Maybe the RX just can't handle the crappy Michigan roads and should only be sold in fair weather states with smooth surfaces and warmer weather. Talk all you want about reliability, but this SUV is not as solid as it's German competitors. Heck, its not even as solid or as quiet as my friend's new Ford Edge or Chevy Equinox. I definitely think that Lexus/Toyota has taken a step backwards with the quality of their materials - this SUV isn't even feel as solid as my 1999 RX300.
Bottom Line: I like the way the car looks, its size is just right, and I really want to like this car but I just can't get beyond my disappointment in the many squeaks and rattles.
get rid of that POS and definitely try BMW X6, Mercedes G-class and Audi A7 you won't be disappointed. Good luck.
Old 03-29-16, 05:07 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I have a 14 RX that doesn't quite have the problems that you do. I do have the rattle from the back seat, what did you do to resolve it?? Living here in the midwest a rattle free car will eventually start to have rattles do to our terrible pot holed roads. We had a Ford Edge and it wasn't the car our RX is.
Old 03-29-16, 05:56 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems, I know how annoying this can be. I've had the 2015 RX for a year and a half and it has been great, even through two NY winters. Believe me the roads here after winter are horrible. I do have a very slight creaking noise that I hear from the left front door area when the weather is cold and then it goes away when the weather warms up.

As far as the German competitors go, I'll take my chances with the RX anytime. I had a 2011 ML and while it had it's share of rattles and creaks that was the least of my problems. Electrical issues, the Command system would turn on and off by itself, steering clunking and a major trans hesitation issue.

MB bought it back after approx 14 months and the 2012 ML that replaced it was better in refinement but still left a lot to be desired in the rattle and creaking department and especially in regards to the transmission lag. It wasn't as bad as the 2011 but it was still there.

A good friend of mine has Audi's (A8 and Q7) and he complains about them all the time, but keeps buying them anyway. A 535, 740 and X5 before those and he has now sworn off BMW.

So I do feel for you because I have been there. But keep in mind (not that it makes you fell any better) that what you're experiencing with the RX is rare compared to the German vehicles where these types of issues are more common.

Good Luck moving forward.

Last edited by JT4; 03-29-16 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 06:16 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you buy it used? Perhaps it was in an accident. I have a 2015 here in Cleveland, where the roads are TERRIBLE and luckily I have had 20,000 rattle free miles. I am glad too because rattles drive me crazy.
Old 03-29-16, 07:36 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Cleveland here as well. My Japan-built 450h is holding up just fine. No rattles, except the moonroof, which was fixed a couple weeks ago when it was in service.

However, I do a agree with you that the Lexus is not as reliable as it used to be.
The RX has been in service the most of any (Toyota) vehicle I owned.
On our last 2 road trips to Florida, each had an issue that I had to deal with.
On first one, the parking brake got stuck, which we figured out somewhere in rural KY.
The second triggered an MG1 temp error - check hybrid system.
Neither left us stranded, nevertheless, it was borderline, as ideally a trip to the dealer would be required.
Old 03-29-16, 08:39 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My Canadian built 2014 RX350 AWD is very quiet except for the OEM Dunlop Grandteck tires. No rattles over any road conditions. No mirror vibration at any speed nor does my hood flex. I've lots of cross-country highway travel on this vehicle and find it as comfortable and quieter than my 2004 RX350.

Can we help you isolate what is causing the rattles? What has been done? What is the dealership saying?
Old 03-29-16, 12:36 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vince22
get rid of that POS and definitely try BMW X6, Mercedes G-class and Audi A7 you won't be disappointed. Good luck.
I can't tell if you're kidding or serious! I maintain my fondness for BMWs, but keep it down to only one at a time. Just can't keep up with the quirks of two or more. Never been left on the side of the road, but there's always something with them requiring attention. Squeaks and rattles are the best scenario with them. The best Audis and Mercedes are the ones that get burned to the ground by their owners. Parts=$$$$, maintenance=$$$$, drive=, quality = and resale =:@.

I put them in the same category as Dodge products.... People still buy them though.

Lexus isn't what it used to be and it's sad. Still the most reliable hands down, though they really need to work on their handling. I'll still take the plush ride over most. I'll never expect it to handle like a Bimmer. I like the fact that you don't have to constantly replace suspension parts and bushings like the German cars. It makes the most sense for a daily driver, but will likely always have a Bimmer as my main toy. At least I can find cheap parts for it. Try that with Audi or Benz. Disappointments only happen when expectations aren't met. Those brands don't disappoint. Freakish annoyances and high costs are their guarantee. At least after the warranty period. It's why you can pick up a six pack of 10 year old Audis for the price of one 15 year old Lexus.
Old 03-29-16, 07:04 PM
adgvpm
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate everyone's responses. As I mentioned, I really want to like this car, but there is just too many vibrations that are transmitted through the body. I own a BMW and Mercedes as well as the Lexus so I have a basis for comparison although the German vehicles are cars (coupe and a hard-top convertible) and not a SUV. Even though I drive the BMW like I stole it (lots of fun), my experience is that its parts reliability is not that much worse or expensive than my previous Lexus RX.
Thanks again.
Old 03-30-16, 05:15 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Appreciate everyone's responses. As I mentioned, I really want to like this car, but there is just too many vibrations that are transmitted through the body. I own a BMW and Mercedes as well as the Lexus so I have a basis for comparison although the German vehicles are cars (coupe and a hard-top convertible) and not a SUV. Even though I drive the BMW like I stole it (lots of fun), my experience is that its parts reliability is not that much worse or expensive than my previous Lexus RX.
Thanks again.
What was the cause of the rattle from your back seat area? Mine has one too that I can't pinpoint.
Old 03-30-16, 10:32 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
What was the cause of the rattle from your back seat area? Mine has one too that I can't pinpoint.
I just thought of this, not sure if it will help but here goes.

I while back I had a rattling noise coming from the rear that came out of no where. It ended up being the the extension portion of the cargo cover, the part that is fixed to the tailgate. It had come loose from one side, popped it back into place and the noise went away.

This is not my RX, but see the part I circled in pic.

Old 03-30-16, 12:45 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 15 F sport. has rattle in Roof. passenger seat belt. and other locations. Dealer laughs it off. "It's a Lexus, its a perfect car" they say. I also had alignment issues, and they can't get wheel to be centered. Exhaust is starting to hit the frame too. Knocking when turning the A/C on.

It's not as great as I thought or read about. I enjoyed the x5 more. It may not be reliable, but it sure drove like a premium car and felt solid.
Old 03-30-16, 04:52 PM
adgvpm
Driver School Candidate

Charley95: Not sure exactly what the Lexus dealer did to fix the rear seat rattle the first time other than adding felt to some of the various metal frame parts. I think it was more of a trial and error until they finally had some success. They had to keep the vehicle for two days to make that fix.
Old 03-31-16, 04:53 AM
drobbins
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your issues but I would venture that it is not the RX in general but your RX. We own two 3Gs, one with 96k+ miles, and neither has experienced the types of issues you are describing. My big complaint, rattle-wise, is that the retractable tailgate cover rattles over bumps but that's a far cry from your experience.

I hope you are able to find some resolution to the issues.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in 2014 RX350