RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bone picking - what's your complain for RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 10:41 AM
Westsai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bone picking - what's your complain for RX?

Hi all
I'm switching to 3rd Gen RX350 soon due to family need, looking to get a fully loaded AWD model.

I just want to hear your thoughts,
Being the #1 SUV (or so people claimed),
what's the biggest complain that you have with your RX?

Thanks
Old 03-24-16, 11:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

First off, it is not an SUV, but a crossover.
My biggest complaint - no AC button!

Lots of low torque in the Hybrid, which results in very noticeable torque-steer.

No 3rd row seats. That will be the primary reason for me to get rid of the RX.
Old 03-24-16, 11:33 AM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Terrible Navi and No auto lane signal (turn signal blinks 3 times) - very minor otherwise an excellent car!
Old 03-24-16, 11:44 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NateJG
Nate, you're getting bent out of shape for no good reason.
If this were a real threat, we'd have members having their belongings stolen left and right.
And this applies to the entire Toyota fleet, as well as other major manufacturers out there.
Old 03-24-16, 11:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I love our RX, but the way the sound system interfaces with the nav screen bugs me. It's hard to pull up the radio screen without changing sources. But I'd buy it again, in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by vlad_a
First off, it is not an SUV, but a crossover.
What are you using as your criteria for what makes an SUV?
Old 03-24-16, 12:16 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
What are you using as your criteria for what makes an SUV?
Most SUVs are body on frame instead of unibody construction. Also have real 4x4 instead of part-time AWD engagement not suitable for off-roading.
Crossover to a Car is the same as SUV to a Truck.
Old 03-24-16, 12:43 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Heated seats take FOREVER to heat up (in my car anyway - i think it's different in every car). My wife's car takes 10-15 seconds before you're all toasty.

Ventilated seats don't blow enough air out (this has been discussed many times in these forums)

no sunglasses holder

doesn't "fully stop" with the Pre-Collision System (rare option, but still, I wouldn't have bothered with getting the option, which also includes the Dynamic Cruise Control, which is not a must-have for me)

voice command is useless (but rarely used so who cares). by now, they should have something integrated that's more intuitive.

No easy place for a trash bag (center console takes up the entire stretch between the 2 seats), but I guess that's true with most suv's/crossovers these days. Alright...I'm nitpicking here.

I'll agree with the other people who commented about the AWD not being true AWD. I think that is a bummer, but not a huge deal to me. We get snow 4-5 times where I'd have to worry about it, and I think the Snow Mode (hybrid) does a nice job. I do have AWD in mine.

My visor, when down, leaves a small strip of windshield showing on the left between the A-pillar and the visor, which allows the sun to hit just right and still blind me. A bit disappointing there when it happens to me as they should have that figured out. My old RX didn't have this issue.

I think that's it.

Many will say it's a boring drive, but I didn't get it to be a sporty driver, so that isn't an issue. It's comfortable so it's good enough for me. I think it's more "truck-like" than my previous 2002 RX in that it's not as smooth over dips in the road, but it's not bad. I just attribute that to the bigger tires and different frame.

Many will say the mouse/joystick controller is crappy, but I don't think it's a big deal. You really don't use it much while driving. The times I use it while driving is to have the lady read a text message that comes in, but that's a quick little move and push a button...easy). I suppose you may use it to change between bluetooth / usb / radio for music, but I hardly ever do that. Honestly, I think you can just ignore the complaints about the joystick because it's not like you're constantly messing with it while driving.

A couple of big positives (for me anyway):
It's quieter than my wife's car (Camry). Not completely quiet, but definitely noticeable between cars.
It has siri eyes free - nice to just hold down a button on the steering wheel to make a call or send a text.
Blind Spot Monitoring - don't know if you've had this, but I think this is one of the best features in any car (with the parking sensors coming in 2nd)
HUD - head up display (another rare option). I have come to like this quite a bit too. Not a complete must-have for me, but nice for sure...even though it's a bit antiquated for a 2015 car (in that it's monochromatic), but it does what it should do (help with nav instructions and shows speed limit)
Old 03-24-16, 01:30 PM
Westsai
Rookie

I did test drive my friend's RX this past weekend (when they were all drunk and needed a DD)
she has a 2012 RX350 non-sport fully loaded
overall, a smooth ride and i got sort of interested in RX

I did notice that there was no guidance line for back up camera
But i did not realize that there was no sunglasses department.. a shocker to me but no biggie

Thanks for all the inputs so far, really appreciate it
Old 03-24-16, 01:49 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NateJG
Vlad: why do you feel the need to snark my posts? I responded to a question. I believe it to be on topic.

You may not agree with my complaint; however I don't remember snarking you or any of your posts.

As for whether or not the issue I raised is valid, it may or may not - but I am surely not alone in my concern(s) - evidenced by a not-too-difficult search resulting in: https://www.bing.com/search?q=keyles...ts&form=APIPA1

As long as I am staying on topic for the thread, and as long as I am not posting something obviously irritating to the anticipated readership, I would appreciate and expect the same opportunity as you to expect a respectful acceptance of my posts.

If I have somehow inadvertently offended you, I apologize; howeve I am finding myself uninterested in reading your posts related to mine.
Nate, I'm not trying to be snarky or to offend you in any way.
However, I do feel that this is blown out of proportions.
People tend to fear things they don't understand and car security is no exception.
I happen to know a thing or two on the topic and can provide some input on weaknesses and strengths.

There was a member here who got mocked when he claimed having 2x RX350s stolen from his driveway. While his story was dismissed and he was blamed for trolling, I took the time to research whether it was plausible. My personal conclusion was that it was.
I found some fascinating techniques for vehicle theft, particularly in relation to Lexus vehicles. The teamwork, planning, and equipment involved. At the same time, there is a whole other side - preventing theft. Down to the point of overriding CAN-BUS commands and re-pinning main ECUs to make ECU substitution useless. Vehicle recovery is a topic in itself, with strategic placement of multiple autonomous GPS/Cellular trackers that sit benign and check in only at a set time.

Of course, very little of this information can be found in US, because we are not susceptible to
theft. It is overseas where one could get a bounty to crack a once-secure system. And that's where the real war between theft prevention and theft takes place. A brand new RX over there without custom security enhancement wouldn't last a day.

I apologize for not taking your concerns seriously. My point is, we should really appreciate living in US, almost never having to deal with such issues. Fear is not a good state to be in, especially if exposure is limited.
Old 03-24-16, 01:58 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Two complaints.

My 2011 Rx350 do not have a sun-glass holder.

WTF.

Even my 2014 KIA Optima has that one convenience.

LOL. It does not bother my wife that the RX does not have it, but man it would have been a deal-breaker if it was my daily driver.

My other complain is that the Lexus radio has a very plain non-art graphic IPod/Satellite radio display even with the larger 8in navigation screen.

Again, even the KIA Optima has a nicer song art/navigation display than Lexus.

And before anyone tries to defend my 2011 RX vs. my newer 2014 KIA, even the older 2011 KIA radios can display album art.

Yes, I know that Lexus power-train will outlast my KIA power-train, but I can only defend Lexus shortcomings only so long by saying that it is very reliable than other cars even though other cars have better tech for less money.

Lexus should invest in a display with more eye catching graphics and map displays.

Lexus Ipod

Name:  03241617061_zps7tacohd5.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  164.5 KB

KIA Ipod
Name:  03241617101_zpsea7j294y.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  186.5 KB

I do like the mouse controller Lexus uses over touch screen like in my KIA which just put finger prints all over the screen.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-24-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 02:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Not to dismiss it as an invalid concern, but I will never understand the fascination CL members have with the sunglasses holder. Sure it's nice to have, but I just keep mine in the center console and it works well for me. But alas, I live in a rainy climate.

Originally Posted by carguy75
Lexus should invest in a display with more eye catching graphics and map displays.
I agree, but it should be noted that Lexus has made substantial updates to the nav interface and graphics since your 2011 model. The interface was updated for the RX in MY2013 and again for MY2016.
Old 03-24-16, 02:37 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not to dismiss it as an invalid concern, but I will never understand the fascination CL members have with the sunglasses holder. Sure it's nice to have, but I just keep mine in the center console and it works well for me. But alas, I live in a rainy climate.

I agree, but it should be noted that Lexus has made substantial updates to the nav interface and graphics since your 2011 model. The interface was updated for the RX in MY2013 and again for MY2016.
Does the 2013-newer radio display album art and/or wallpaper?

It does looks more up-to-date in the 2013 model I look at but essentially the same format without graphics I thought.

2013 model

The 2016 display does look very nice and have graphics, but it is smaller.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-24-16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 02:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy75
Does the 2013-newer radio display album art and/or wallpaper?

It does on Pandora, but I can't recall on the other sources since we don't really use those.
Old 03-24-16, 04:09 PM
Mors
Pole Position

ah yes - the way satellite radio shows about 12 characters for the song - that does suck.
Seems like the tech in Lexus cars just isn't up-to-date as in other cars (2 usb ports is awesome to be able to charge 2 things at once, but alas - not in our Lexus). Graphics, etc is outdated for sure, even in the 2013-2015 models, but it's not terrible.
And good point about the backup camera not having guidelines - another thing that Lexus should have had in their cars way before 2016. Another "not a huge deal", but come on.

I still like Lexus and will probably go the same route for my next car (in 5 years or so)
Old 03-24-16, 05:14 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mors
ah yes - the way satellite radio shows about 12 characters for the song - that does suck.
Seems like the tech in Lexus cars just isn't up-to-date as in other cars (2 usb ports is awesome to be able to charge 2 things at once, but alas - not in our Lexus). Graphics, etc is outdated for sure, even in the 2013-2015 models, but it's not terrible.
And good point about the backup camera not having guidelines - another thing that Lexus should have had in their cars way before 2016. Another "not a huge deal", but come on.

I still like Lexus and will probably go the same route for my next car (in 5 years or so)
Yeah, I agree that the tech is pretty bare-bones compared to other automakers, but I actually do like the RX350 overall and probably buy a used 2016 model in about four years to replace my 2011 model.

I was going to buy a 2012 Lexus LS model but decided that it was not worth over $30K used when the KIA actually had nearly every option that was in the LS I was looking at like heated/cooled seats,nav, etc. for $30K new.

Plus the LS was boring to drive,smooth like the RX, but dull overall.

Hell,fast forward now I may even trade my KIA for a Lexus ES or GS in the future since the Lexus brand/ride quality is growing on me.

Plus, KIA decided to use a weaker engine in the newer 2016 Optima and the styling look like crap now in my opinion so my 2014 is probably going to be my first and last KIA.

It is still a very nice car overall.

However, the RX got me hooked on Lexus ride quality even if the radio display look like a navigation radio from the early 2000's.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-24-16 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Bone picking - what's your complain for RX?