RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help..... Can I just replace one tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 12:01 AM
deepblue67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..... Can I just replace one tire?

I have 2010 RX450h, front tire has 5/32" and rear is 4/32", it's 50% left and 40% left. One of rear tire is damaged and not repairable.

The dealer told me it's okay just buy one new tire as long as it's same model, put it to the front, move one of the front to rear. But all of the tire shop is saying I have to replace all 4, except one says at least 2 tires in case AWD system been damaged..

What's your opinion, 1, 2 or 4?? thanks
Old 03-15-16, 05:10 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If they've literally been measured correctly (and I really doubt it because no one considers the wear bars when using a tire gauge) then you should not replace only one. The others are too worn.
Personally, I'd replace a pair if your scenario is described accurately.
*flame suit on before "only two new tires causes vehicle to flip over, lock all the doors & windows and spontaneously combust."
Old 03-15-16, 06:23 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

How old are the tires? IMO if they're approaching 5 years old, and the best tire has 5/32 left I would replace all 4. However, not knowing your situation, if the time isn't right for you to replace all 4 now I would at least buy two new tires and put them on the front.
Old 03-15-16, 07:06 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

If you need to save money, get a matching used tire off eBay. I have done this 3 times to replace damaged tires when the remainder of the tires was similar to yours but I did not want to buy all 4 at that time. The used replacement let me go another year before replacement. Much cheaper too!
Old 03-15-16, 07:06 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Rule of thumb is to put best tires in the rear.
There is no AWD system to damage in the Hybrid. Look under the car, it is wires, not a driveshaft and a center coupler!
You do want left and rear tires to match. If you only want to replace 1 tire, tirerack offers a service to shave off tread to a specified depth.
Old 03-15-16, 08:12 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Just a thought. Tire places have really pushed replacing tires with punctures near the sidewall. If it is just a small nail, I would consider something like "tire slime" and run the tire until it's ready to be replaced with the others.
Old 03-15-16, 08:42 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't put slime in the tire. That will be a pain to clean afterwards. Your rim will be all sticky. Never mind what it could do to balancing.
Old 03-15-16, 09:24 AM
deepblue67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Rule of thumb is to put best tires in the rear.
Why's the best tire in the rear?
Old 03-15-16, 09:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

To prevent hydroplaning in the rain. http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/saf...ing-tires.html

And a more amusing explanation http://www.cartalk.com/content/why-s...-back-find-out
Old 03-15-16, 09:39 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Replacing tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=236

Age of tire
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Measuring tread depth
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=148

Tire shaving
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=259

When to replace tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=184

“Tires should be replaced when their remaining tread depth is no longer appropriate for the weather conditions expected to be encountered. Tire Rack recommends replacing tires at approximately 5/32" of remaining tread depth for driving in snow, 4/32" for driving on wet roads and 2/32" for driving on dry roads.”
Old 03-15-16, 09:46 AM
deepblue67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I learned alot here, thanks for sharing. Thought the dealer should be expert, how come they say sth completely reverse..
Old 03-15-16, 10:35 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by deepblue67
I have 2010 RX450h, front tire has 5/32" and rear is 4/32", it's 50% left and 40% left. One of rear tire is damaged and not repairable.

The dealer told me it's okay just buy one new tire as long as it's same model, put it to the front, move one of the front to rear. But all of the tire shop is saying I have to replace all 4, except one says at least 2 tires in case AWD system been damaged..

What's your opinion, 1, 2 or 4?? thanks
I always replace my tires in pairs(front or rear), especially if they are older worn tires.

To honest, i may even replace the entire set if they are really worn when it comes time to replace a damaged tire.

I use Discount Tires which gives me credit towards my new tire purchase based on the tread left on used tires so that it makes purchasing new tires more bearable.

Going by the thread life of your old tires I would just buy a whole new set since those tires are just about useless anyway.

I would ask the tire shop do they have a credit program that gives you credit for trading in worn tires with some life left, if not find one that does.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-15-16 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-15-16, 10:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Or find a promotion where you buy three tires, get one free. Dealers sometimes have discounts that makes them competitive. With that much wear, stopping distance could be noticeably compromised on wet roads. When I had 5/32s left on the Verdes, the traction light flashed on the dash a few times when slowing down. That was enough for me to replace all four. Tires are way too important.
Old 03-15-16, 11:54 AM
deepblue67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Or find a promotion where you buy three tires, get one free. Dealers sometimes have discounts that makes them competitive. With that much wear, stopping distance could be noticeably compromised on wet roads. When I had 5/32s left on the Verdes, the traction light flashed on the dash a few times when slowing down. That was enough for me to replace all four. Tires are way too important.
I don't have time to price shopping because I'm driving with my spare tire. The dealer refused to release the car with damaged tire because of liability issues.
Old 03-15-16, 02:12 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by deepblue67
I don't have time to price shopping because I'm driving with my spare tire. The dealer refused to release the car with damaged tire because of liability issues.

Try and get the dealer to price match another retailer.

Quick Reply: Help..... Can I just replace one tire?