RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Steering Motor Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 02:15 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 Steering Motor Rattle

Just a heads up for owners of the 2010 with a rattle in the steering mechanism. I noticed this in 2011 but the dealer kept greasing a "boot" where the steering column goes through into the engine compartment. Now that I'm out of factory warranty I found an old Lexus bulletin to the dealers telling them to replace the steering column assembly. Bulletin is L-SB-0026-11, dated May 4, 2011.
Lexus now offered me $500 off of a $3000 job since warranty expired, not very generous since they have more profit in the transaction than that.. I declined and will pursue either Legal or BBB. The Federal Magnuson-Moss Act states that factory defects are covered virtually forever.
I should let it go but had nothing but poor service when reporting the issue. Since my vehicle was a mid year build I'm guessing that there are half or more of the 10's with the issue. I found out about diminished value when I got a quote on a trade.
Old 03-12-16, 10:45 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, that p*sses me off. I was complaining about noises from the steering column the first year of ownership. Now that I have 167k on the car, it's starting to make crackling noises. Time to take it in again.

Ugh.
Old 03-16-16, 10:29 AM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

they told me the same thing, $500 off to do the work! i'd like to know if you have any luck with this? mine barely has 50k miles on it.
Old 03-18-16, 08:00 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Legal may cost you more and not sure the result. BBB is like a complain website and anyone got any credits from that???
Old 03-19-16, 05:30 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Legal may cost you more and not sure the result. BBB is like a complain website and anyone got any credits from that???
BBB Auto Line is not a complain site. There is mandatory (to dealer) arbitration involved. Most states lemon laws and dealer/manufacturers right to do business require mandatory arbitration so that you don't have to sue.
And if you prevail or settle using an attorney you can recover attorney fees. It's an ugly game so need to be sure the % is in your favor.
Edit: BBB works well if the age of your vehicle qualifies. In Idaho its first 2 years but I'm not clear how long after reporting an issue that you can file.

Last edited by Comfort; 03-19-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 01:09 PM
Chicagojoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Request for more information

My recently purchased 2010 RX350 has the steering column rattle issue. Rather than shelling out $3K, or $900 in the case I can convince them to pay for the part, I wonder whether there is a known DIY repair or if it might be possible to develop one.
Do any members have information on the root cause of the problem?
The rattle seems to be something attached to the steering column and not backlash or slop in the drive shaft itself. Since Toyota indicates there is no safety issue, I wonder if it is possible to fix the defect without replacing the entire assembly.
If any members have information on the root cause of the problem and whether there might be a DIY repair, I would love to know.
Old 08-05-16, 02:52 PM
Comfort
Rookie

I'm interested also. I couldn't find a used motor and it's not clear which ones might fit a 2010. I gave up after 2 mechanics told me there was no repair, only replacement. On mine if I move the column around I can get rid of the noise temporarily, sometimes for a couple of months.
I tend to believe that replacement is the only cure because that was the Lexus remedy in 2015 under warranty. A repair would have been cheaper?
Lexus-if you are reading this note that I did not buy a 2016 as planned. Bet your profit in a 16 is a lot more than the repair.
Old 08-05-16, 03:02 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's the TSB: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ttle-noise.pdf
Old 08-07-16, 07:25 AM
Chicagojoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Motor?

Thanks for the information. I've read the TSB which suggests DIY replacement is not possible. That's why I was hoping there could be some sort of fix.
Comfort, you indicate it is a motor problem? Do you, or anyone else, know what about the motor is causing the rattle?

Old 08-12-16, 05:39 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine replaced at the dealer out of warranty. I called up Lexus Corporate and they were able to supply the parts as I offered to pay the labor. I ended up paying about $850 which included alignment afterwards. Was it worth it? If you plan on keeping your rx for a while then I'd say go ahead and do it. Steering feels firm and more in control after replacement.
Old 08-26-16, 12:51 PM
Chicagojoe
Driver School Candidate

Fpan, when did Lexus agree to this? My first attempt with corporate was unsuccessful.
@ Comfort, do you take the dash apart to move the column, or just muscle the steering wheel around?
I would still love to know the actual defect in the column if one of the experienced members knows.
Old 08-29-16, 06:36 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was sometimes during last November, 2015. You need to call Lexus Corporate, local dealers doesn't have the authority to approve a out of warranty service.
Old 08-20-20, 11:02 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone have any more info on this? Parents bought their 2010 brand new and we always had it serviced at the dealership. They never once brought this up. It's 10 years later and creaking so loud.
Old 09-05-22, 12:09 PM
jpmacharia
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's an option of $122 from ALNSU

Originally Posted by Comfort
Just a heads up for owners of the 2010 with a rattle in the steering mechanism. I noticed this in 2011 but the dealer kept greasing a "boot" where the steering column goes through into the engine compartment. Now that I'm out of factory warranty I found an old Lexus bulletin to the dealers telling them to replace the steering column assembly. Bulletin is L-SB-0026-11, dated May 4, 2011.
Lexus now offered me $500 off of a $3000 job since warranty expired, not very generous since they have more profit in the transaction than that.. I declined and will pursue either Legal or BBB. The Federal Magnuson-Moss Act states that factory defects are covered virtually forever.
I should let it go but had nothing but poor service when reporting the issue. Since my vehicle was a mid year build I'm guessing that there are half or more of the 10's with the issue. I found out about diminished value when I got a quote on a trade.

Old 09-06-22, 07:04 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this video relevant for this?

I have developed the same recent problem and not sure what i want to do about it.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 Steering Motor Rattle