RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 450h or 2011 MDX Advance (AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 02:36 PM
mattsk42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 450h or 2011 MDX Advance (AWD)

Pretty much the same mileage (70,000 or so), and same condition. Price is within $2,000.

I don't really care about driving experience TOO much, but everything I've read says MDX wins there. I'm coming from a 2004 Cadillac SRX, so I'm not sure how "boaty" the RX will really feel compared to that. Snow performance does not matter either.

I'm on this forum because I like the idea of a Lexus, and they seem nicer inside. BUT, the 7 passenger option is (potentially) nice, and the Advance package covers most options the Lexus will have. So I'm completely torn.

Help me decide!
Old 02-24-16, 03:35 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

It seems brand is something you didn't mention under things you don't care about In that case, i'd go for the lexus

Either way, you cannot go wrong with these cars. I would say to drive both of them and decide.
Old 02-24-16, 04:36 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Having 7 passenger capacity is certainly nice. If there's a reason for my RX450h to be traded in, this would be it. I really like the '17 Audi Q7. There's a good chance it will replace the RX in our family some time in the future. I'm not a fan of the MDX looks, so it never made it on my shopping list. I would go as far as stating the new Pilot looks better than the MDX.
Old 02-24-16, 05:24 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

MDX is more manly for a guy to drive vs the RX. The RX is pretty boring to drive. My wife has a '15 RX 350.
Old 02-24-16, 05:24 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Threads like this are funny.

Which car do you want?

Which car feel better to you as an individual when you sit in it and drive it.

Both are nice crossovers with one being more comfortable and easier to own when used, while one is sportier and have a better AWD system.

However, the choice will be ultimately up to you to decide the best one for your needs or desires.

I personally would like to drive the MDX on the back roads, but think that the RX is more comfortable and smoother to drive on my long commutes to work.

With that being said i would buy the one that has the auto hold EPB(electronic parking brake) feature if I will have to choose again, since I have gotten used to not having to hold the brake pedal constantly on a hour long commute to and fro work.

My 2011 Mercedes E350 4matic(traded) had it,my 2010 VW CC VR6(crashed) had it, and my current 2014 KIA Optima SXL has the EPB feature so I got used to just pressing the brake pedal once and just driving off without having to hold the brake pedal.

My 2011 RX does not have the EPB feature, so if the 2011 MDX did(it do not) then i would go with the MDX hands down if I had to do it over again.

However, my wife drives the RX mostly and for a shorter distance to work so the EPB do not matter to her at all really hence why we have the 2011 Rx now over a car that does.

So everyone will have a reason to pick one over the other, so you will have to decide on your own which of the two is better to you.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-24-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 09:55 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If which one has better AWD capabilities, the MDX wins easily.
Old 02-25-16, 11:13 AM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy75
Threads like this are funny.

Which car do you want?

Which car feel better to you as an individual when you sit in it and drive it.

Both are nice crossovers with one being more comfortable and easier to own when used, while one is sportier and have a better AWD system.

However, the choice will be ultimately up to you to decide the best one for your needs or desires.

I personally would like to drive the MDX on the back roads, but think that the RX is more comfortable and smoother to drive on my long commutes to work.

With that being said i would buy the one that has the auto hold EPB(electronic parking brake) feature if I will have to choose again, since I have gotten used to not having to hold the brake pedal constantly on a hour long commute to and fro work.

My 2011 Mercedes E350 4matic(traded) had it,my 2010 VW CC VR6(crashed) had it, and my current 2014 KIA Optima SXL has the EPB feature so I got used to just pressing the brake pedal once and just driving off without having to hold the brake pedal.

My 2011 RX does not have the EPB feature, so if the 2011 MDX did(it do not) then i would go with the MDX hands down if I had to do it over again.

However, my wife drives the RX mostly and for a shorter distance to work so the EPB do not matter to her at all really hence why we have the 2011 Rx now over a car that does.

So everyone will have a reason to pick one over the other, so you will have to decide on your own which of the two is better to you.
I agree with my dude over here. I was also contemplating between the 14 MDX or RX and went with the RX due to personal preference. The MDX does seem to perform a lot better in snow but for me, I needed the luxury provided by Lexus. Also, lexus is making this model for many years, improving on reliability whereas the mdx was recently changed so I didn't want to have to deal with issues either.
Old 02-25-16, 12:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsk42
Pretty much the same mileage (70,000 or so), and same condition. Price is within $2,000.

I don't really care about driving experience TOO much, but everything I've read says MDX wins there. I'm coming from a 2004 Cadillac SRX, so I'm not sure how "boaty" the RX will really feel compared to that. Snow performance does not matter either.

I'm on this forum because I like the idea of a Lexus, and they seem nicer inside. BUT, the 7 passenger option is (potentially) nice, and the Advance package covers most options the Lexus will have. So I'm completely torn.

Help me decide!
basically you pick one over size. Go hither
Old 02-25-16, 05:51 PM
bobys
Driver School Candidate

You might want to check an MDX forum for signs of transmission trouble. The transmissions paired with V6 honda have had a number of issues over the years, even the TLX/MDX. Look for talk on those forums about transmissions on your desired 2011, try to get an early read on the matter.

I owned a honda, changed the fluid at the recommended schedule of every 30k miles at the dealership, transmission failures and NO goodwill for me despite the widely known failure rate and I later learned of others getting goodwill when using a lawyer (I later regreted not hiring one), even Edmunds.com covered the topic with some analysis. The honda transmissions were 3-4 time more likely to fail than a Chrysler. No more hondas for me.
Old 02-25-16, 11:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bobys
You might want to check an MDX forum for signs of transmission trouble. The transmissions paired with V6 honda have had a number of issues over the years, even the TLX/MDX. Look for talk on those forums about transmissions on your desired 2011, try to get an early read on the matter.

I owned a honda, changed the fluid at the recommended schedule of every 30k miles at the dealership, transmission failures and NO goodwill for me despite the widely known failure rate and I later learned of others getting goodwill when using a lawyer (I later regreted not hiring one), even Edmunds.com covered the topic with some analysis. The honda transmissions were 3-4 time more likely to fail than a Chrysler. No more hondas for me.
That prmarily affected the 1st gen. The OPs on a 2nd generation
Old 02-26-16, 08:57 AM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 450H is the winner in gas mileage as the MDX gas mileage is just horrible (I guess with how gas prices are now it won't matter as much as it use to). The MDX Advance will definitely perform a lot better since it'll have the sport tune suspension. The ride will be a lot stiffer since the tires are low profile, the 450Hs suspension will be really soft and floaty. It really boils down to what you want. If I had to do it again, I would go with the MDX Advance for sure.
Old 03-02-16, 10:27 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i have 2 cars, a 2010 RX450h and a 2007 Acura MDX tech fully loaded on both car,

go with Lexus, superb low end torque, crazy great MPG (28 MPG average),

MDX? good lucky getting over 18.

handling wise, MDX win win, super handling AWD is REALLY good, but the car struggle to get to speeds kill the fun for me. the Navi is really lame to use. the build quality is so so..

and also Lexus is much much more comfy, the seat isn't as much as MDX but its not stiff as the MDX.

i haven't tow with my Lexus yet so i can't really tell, been planning a trip to tow a project car from San Jose to Las Vegas (500 miles trips)
Old 06-22-16, 06:40 AM
Kopavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i have 2 cars, a 2010 RX450h and a 2007 Acura MDX tech fully loaded on both car,

go with Lexus, superb low end torque, crazy great MPG (28 MPG average),

MDX? good lucky getting over 18.

handling wise, MDX win win, super handling AWD is REALLY good, but the car struggle to get to speeds kill the fun for me. the Navi is really lame to use. the build quality is so so..

and also Lexus is much much more comfy, the seat isn't as much as MDX but its not stiff as the MDX.
I also own a 2007 MDX Tech and just acquired a 2010 RX450H FWD. THe MDX has 60K miles and the RX has 70K.

The Lexus is buttery smooth inside and out. I live in a mountain community so the MDX is nice to have in the snow and for navigating rough areas and dirt roads. My mileage in the MDX is around 20 and the RX450 is 28.

A good mixture, but if I had to pick one I would choose the RX. If you got in blindfolded and didn't know the vehicle was 6 years old with 70K miles you would swear you were in a new vehicle.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either. I have had no problems whatsoever with the MDX. You have two solid choices.