RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying an accident 2015 RX350 - advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 02:06 PM
chemister
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying an accident 2015 RX350 - advice

Hello Folks,

I am new to the forums. We have a baby on the way and we are looking into a getting a 2013-2015 RX350 (will be first time lexus owners).

I recently came across a car for sale that seemed good. Only problem, it has been in an accident with airbag deployment.

From the carfax report, it appears to not be a leased vehicle but an owned vehicle. It was owned only for 10 months. It also appears that the car has been in the garage after the accident (majority of those 10 months). Not sure why the owner did not just repair and continue using the vehicle instead of selling it.

I am attaching the carfax report and car pedigree. I am not the expert on cars. Would greatly appreciate if you can share your thoughts and any glaring issues in the report (other than the accident).

What would you do if you were in my situation? Thank you very much for the time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
carfax.pdf (355.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: pdf
pedigree.pdf (11.9 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by chemister; 02-08-16 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Edit title
Old 02-08-16, 02:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There are so many used RXs out there I have to believe there is a better one available for you. Personally, this car would scare me. Even before the accident the owner was complaining of rattles and such. I would keep looking.
Old 02-08-16, 04:29 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It would have been far better if he hadn't repaired it. It would have removed some of the mystery. Even if a bumper is painted on a CPO I question it. I bought my current car off the back lot. Something had happened to the back bumper, breaking the clips on the right side and putting a dimple in the skin. I worked it into the deal, when I bought it. At least I know what was wrong. Repaired to sell vehicles raise huge concerns and will stick with you when you go to sell. A clean carfax, while not necessarily accurate is far more desirable than an accurate carfax with accident.
Old 02-09-16, 09:17 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I would be shy away from any vehicle with an airbag deployment. Yes, I know, a car can be repaired to new OEM quality, even the airbags. But something about an airbag activation turns me off.

Depending on your financial situation, you should be able to find very nice RX. Even a CPO vehicle may be an option. Regardless, don't totally depend on Carfax. Unless you buy directly from Lexus, have whatever vehicle you choose independently tested. It may cost you a couple of hundred dollars. But that is well worth it. Anything to prevent future headaches.
Old 02-09-16, 09:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't walk away from that RX.................RUN!
Old 02-09-16, 10:15 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

unless you are getting an insane deal on that car, i would keep looking... as JDR said, the RX isn't exactly a rare vehicle... it's lexus' highest sold SUV... so the supply should be endless...

now in regards to the actual car itself... just because it has been in an accident doesn't mean you should automatically walk away... there are many competent and good body shops that do excellent work... since it was sent to the dealer right after the accident, it is quite possible that the dealer sourced the body shop, so that can be a plus... have you looked at the car??? look at the damaged area and see if the paint was properly blended.... look at where the airbags deployed, are any of the panels misaligned??? if it checks out, the dealer is willing to certify/warranty the car, and you are getting a great deal, there is no reason to not consider it just because it was involved in an accident...

and to touch on the whole, the previous owner was complaining about rattles in the service history... it looks like the previous owner was **** about the car... and by trading in the car right after an accident confirms it... he was one of those 'i don't want a car that has been in an accident.'
Old 02-09-16, 10:17 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

here is the car...

http://www.germain.com/inventory/201...bk1ba9fc256534
Old 02-09-16, 10:59 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by kamlung
Only looking at the pictures, the repairs look nice. Panels line up correctly and paint matches. That's a tough color to match, so kudos to the shop. The dash skin looks flat too. Good sign of proper install there as well. The vehicle seems to be nicely equipped as well, which is a plus. You'd really have to look at it with open eyes and if something, anything is not up to par, that may be a flag. Be sure to check under the engine cover and chassis too. That's where people get sloppy.
Old 02-09-16, 12:32 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Also, put the car on a hoist and inspect.
Old 02-10-16, 05:41 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with some of the other posts here that said to walk away.. I too would be uncomfortable buying a pre-owned vehicle that had air bag deployment. That's just me.

Another thing, I noticed on the dealer's website that it shows many CPO RX's yet this 2015, with 21K miles is not a CPO. So I assume Lexus does not feel it is "CPO worthy" which IMO is another red flag.
Old 02-10-16, 05:49 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with some of the other posts here that said to walk away.. I too would be uncomfortable buying a pre-owned vehicle that had air bag deployment. That's just me. Another thing, I noticed on the dealer's website that it shows many CPO RX's yet this 2015, with 21K miles is not a CPO. So I assume Lexus does not feel it is "CPO worthy" which IMO is another red flag.
There are disqualifies to CPO. Accident is one of them. Doesn't matter how nice otherwise.
Old 02-10-16, 06:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rj4510
There are disqualifies to CPO. Accident is one of them. Doesn't matter how nice otherwise.
According to this post,up to 3 panels can be repainted and still be CPO.
Airbag deployment probably not no matter how many panels.

Post#4

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ml#post8555230
Old 02-10-16, 07:26 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joeb427
According to this post,up to 3 panels can be repainted and still be CPO.
Airbag deployment probably not no matter how many panels.

Post#4

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ml#post8555230
Painted panels are far different than CarFax accident report. I've rarely seen a CPO that hasn't had painted pumper so, so that's two out of the gate. A deep scratch that can't be buffed out on two more panels and your there. I personally prefer untouched cars to COOs. I'd much rather see what needs to be done to restore than guess what's been covered up. CPOs also cost more and have less negotiation room. If you can get a car that was recently traded in (back lot) the dealer has invested nothing, so easy to work a deal. Others live by CPO...that's why they sell so well.
Old 02-10-16, 07:29 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bodywork does not necessarily disqualify the vehicle for CPO. My guess would be the airbag deployment is the issue. I have a close friend in the insurance industry who says many times vehicles are deemed totaled if the airbag deploys, even if the body damage is fixable.

That price is certainly a draw. You won't see another "clean" 2015 at that price point. It is priced at that point for a reason. Someone will pounce, and quite honestly may never have an issue. Risk/reward.
Old 02-10-16, 07:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rj4510
Painted panels are far different than CarFax accident report. I've rarely seen a CPO that hasn't had painted pumper so, so that's two out of the gate. A deep scratch that can't be buffed out on two more panels and your there. I personally prefer untouched cars to COOs. I'd much rather see what needs to be done to restore than guess what's been covered up. CPOs also cost more and have less negotiation room. If you can get a car that was recently traded in (back lot) the dealer has invested nothing, so easy to work a deal. Others live by CPO...that's why they sell so well.
I believe a properly repaired and painted panel(s) will pass as CPO.
However,like you,I wouldn't buy a CPO with painted panels.

This RX in the thread is scary to buy.It sat for 10 months too.Why?
Also if the OP wants to sell or trade in the near future,he's going to take a bit hit even at the buying price.
Too much going on with this RX.

Quick Reply: Buying an accident 2015 RX350 - advice