RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying a CPO Lexus- 1st time buyer HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 12:15 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a CPO Lexus- 1st time buyer HELP

Like the title states, I am buying my first lexus. I was looking at the 2013-2015 RX 350 model but my price range is around 30k- only the 2013 models are around this price tag. There are plenty of dealers around me (NY & NJ area) and the prices are trending around 29k-34k for this model with around 30k-70k mileage.

How willing are the dealers to negotiate on the price. Also, I am looking at the prices online so are they usually set in stone or still room for negotiations?

Is there anything in particular I should look for in the car? Any issues with this model? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am open to a brand new 2015 RX 350 as well if that means getting a steep discount. I'm not quite sure if it'll be reasonable to expect to pay ~33k for it (MSRP around 51k)
Old 02-06-16, 07:04 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

You will not find many issues with this model it's one of the most reliable cars on the road. I have a 14 that I bought a year ago and have had only one minor issue that was repaired under warranty.
I would buy the best one that you can afford. A new one for $33k that lists for $51k will not happen.
Old 02-06-16, 09:21 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
You will not find many issues with this model it's one of the most reliable cars on the road. I have a 14 that I bought a year ago and have had only one minor issue that was repaired under warranty. I would buy the best one that you can afford. A new one for $33k that lists for $51k will not happen.
While I always recommend doing ones own research on prices, cargurus.com has graphics showing where a car may be priced on a bargain scale. There are a few used 14s that low, but definitely nothing new. Does that mean a better price can't be obtained? Not at all, but not by much. Definitely no where near the low 30s for new. Just a few weeks ago I saw a few listed for 40k+ in my area. They have since been sold. OP, good luck on your hunt and whatever direction you decide to go.
Old 02-06-16, 10:33 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

At US$33K, you may be able to buy brand new in Canada.:-) Then you'll get the "better" features too.
Old 02-07-16, 08:19 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've got to say my 2013 bumper to bumper warranty is up in August (4 years) and i feel ripped off that I haven't used it yet.
Old 02-07-16, 03:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Not too many issues with the RX, but I did recently did have to make repairs. The ABS actuator went out but thankfully I had CPO warranty otherwise it would have been $3,000 out of pocket. Everything else has been good so far!
Old 02-08-16, 05:08 AM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Not too many issues with the RX, but I did recently did have to make repairs. The ABS actuator went out but thankfully I had CPO warranty otherwise it would have been $3,000 out of pocket. Everything else has been good so far!
This sort of worries me. Is this a common issue or was it caused by something on your part?

P.S. Thank you guys for all the help!!
Old 02-08-16, 12:48 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

I see some RX 350 with yellow fogs (assuming these are regular stock ones) and I saw a lot with matching fogs (blue leds?). Which model of the RX 350 started coming with factory matching fog lights? I'm considering asking my dealer to switch them up before picking up my car.
Old 02-08-16, 01:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Of the 3rd gen RX, only the 15s have the LED fogs as I recall.
Old 02-08-16, 06:27 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by charley95
You will not find many issues with this model it's one of the most reliable cars on the road. I have a 14 that I bought a year ago and have had only one minor issue that was repaired under warranty.
I would buy the best one that you can afford. A new one for $33k that lists for $51k will not happen.
How much should I expect to pay for a new one that lists for 51k? I've read people got 10-12% off MSRP but I would assume since a new model is out, the 2015 one would be even cheaper.
Old 02-09-16, 06:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fre3way3
This sort of worries me. Is this a common issue or was it caused by something on your part?

P.S. Thank you guys for all the help!!

I wouldn't say it's common. My RX made a loud squeak every time I hit the brake pedal, then it proceeds to make gurgling noises. Some people end up with warning lights all over their dash but that's a rare occurrence. For the most part, I wouldn't worry about the RX' reliability.

The discount on the '15 RX is not going to be substantial. The problem is the RX sells in high volume and people are willing to pay for them. Any discount, even a small one, would have already been taken advantaged of.
Old 02-09-16, 08:53 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The discount on the '15 RX is not going to be substantial. The problem is the RX sells in high volume and people are willing to pay for them. Any discount, even a small one, would have already been taken advantaged of.
I agree with your assessment on the price/discount for the remaining new '15's. I was just in the market last month and the dealers were not budging with their remaining allocation of '15's even with an abundance of '16 on the lot and some on the way. The discount was not what I was expecting and negotiating was not getting me anywhere. I heard multiple times that the RX is high volume and someone would pay what they were asking. That was not going to be me! I settled on a CPO '15 instead. Got what I wanted after someone else paid the price initially!
Old 02-09-16, 09:19 AM
plainview
Rookie

I would try to find the perfect CPO RX and you kind of get the best of both worlds in quality + warranty and a good price. As a bonus you are already talking about a very solid vehicle. As far as negotiating it never hurts to try. And if you find one you really like, that's clean and you end up paying a little more, there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes when you're buying a car there's a premium for getting a good one but it's usually worth it. Good Luck!
Old 02-10-16, 04:48 AM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

One thing I did notice on the the RX is the worn out seats. Is it easy to get rid of the cracks in the leather? Is the dealer responsible for taking care of this?

Also, are all Nav models capable of playing DVDs?

Last edited by fre3way3; 02-10-16 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 07:34 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

A CPO vehicle is supposed to be reconditioned to near new. Not sure how easy it is to correct those cracks. If the vehicle is being sold as CPO, the dealer has already "done what is required to qualify the vehicle for CPO". But that does not stop a potential buyer from requesting more work be done.

I'm not sure about the DVD question. My first thought is yes. Someone else will probably pick that up and answer your question more definitively.

Quick Reply: Buying a CPO Lexus- 1st time buyer HELP