RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Serious problems with wiper

Old 01-31-16, 02:51 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Serious problems with wiper

So my drivers side wiper is leaving 3 distinct lines across the screen. It sort of looks like something is being dragged across the screen in the rain even though the wipers are clean.

Like this (except only 3 lines):

Anyway, I changed the wiper refill on the driver's side regardless but it still does the same thing. Any ideas on what it could be? Its not the refills as they are brand new.

Another thing - I used RainX and the wipers have removed it where the 3 lines are (which is why they are showing up as lines).

The 3 lines are exactly where the clips for the OEM plastic housing is which hold the rubber refill.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by rayaans; 01-31-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 04:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you have clay bar, try cleaning the glass first.
Old 01-31-16, 05:14 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you have clay bar, try cleaning the glass first.
I do have a clay bar yes. Ill try it out but I feel like there's way too much tension in the drivers side wiper arm. It squeaks in light rain whereas the passenger side is dead silent.
Old 01-31-16, 06:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Strange, I use RainX between claying and haven't had that happen. Wipers are cleaned every wash. But once or twice the metal inserts caused problems after replacement. I'd check those to make sure they're secure and also put in the same way they were taken out so it makes even contact with the windshield. Good luck.
Old 02-01-16, 02:49 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Strange, I use RainX between claying and haven't had that happen. Wipers are cleaned every wash. But once or twice the metal inserts caused problems after replacement. I'd check those to make sure they're secure and also put in the same way they were taken out so it makes even contact with the windshield. Good luck.
What do you mean when you say that the metal inserts can cause problems?

I put them in the way they came out and was quite careful making sure they didn't bend excessively or put in the wrong way.

Essentially, there are 4 clips on the wiper blade itself. The lines are being left where the top 3 blades are if the wiper is lifted up but not where the bottom one is.

I can remember it being like this a while back but claying and rain X used to solve the problem for 3 months and it'd come back after. Its very odd.
Old 02-01-16, 03:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sometimes the metal inserts slip out of the wiper refill when threading through the clips. It often takes me more than one attempt. And the metal inserts have an arch to them. That's what I meant when I said to put them in the same way.

Only other thing I can say is maybe your wiper arm needs to be adjusted.
Old 02-01-16, 06:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I would polish the glass and re-install the insert as a first step.

A tip on cleaning windshields. About once a year I I use a paint polish, like Meguiar's #204. I use a fiber Cerama Bryte pad if I do this by hand or my DA with a polishing pad. Removing baked on road grime and old RainX coating can be very difficult for normal glass cleaners but this approach takes everything off the glass. I'd caution using a polish on the side window glass as it is factory coated to repel water and this will remove that coating. Your windshield is not coated.

Did you replace the insert with a Lexus refill or an after-market refill? I have had better performance and longer life with OEM inserts.

I agree that it sounds like it your issue may be related to the insert or the arm. If you are not very observant, it is easy to improperly install the insert. I'd try removing it and re-installing it as a first step, paying close attention that the insert is installed evenly between the fingers at every mount point.

You could replace the whole arm as a last resort. I would hate driving without clear vision.
Old 02-01-16, 09:16 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes the metal inserts slip out of the wiper refill when threading through the clips. It often takes me more than one attempt. And the metal inserts have an arch to them. That's what I meant when I said to put them in the same way.

Only other thing I can say is maybe your wiper arm needs to be adjusted.
Ive checked, compared both sides and can confirm that the metal inserts are in their correct slot. I can also confirm that the arch is how it is meant to be.

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I would polish the glass and re-install the insert as a first step.

A tip on cleaning windshields. About once a year I I use a paint polish, like Meguiar's #204. I use a fiber Cerama Bryte pad if I do this by hand or my DA with a polishing pad. Removing baked on road grime and old RainX coating can be very difficult for normal glass cleaners but this approach takes everything off the glass. I'd caution using a polish on the side window glass as it is factory coated to repel water and this will remove that coating. Your windshield is not coated.

Did you replace the insert with a Lexus refill or an after-market refill? I have had better performance and longer life with OEM inserts.

I agree that it sounds like it your issue may be related to the insert or the arm. If you are not very observant, it is easy to improperly install the insert. I'd try removing it and re-installing it as a first step, paying close attention that the insert is installed evenly between the fingers at every mount point.

You could replace the whole arm as a last resort. I would hate driving without clear vision.
The refill was OEM bought from Lexus UK online store. The rubber is fine and soft. The refill has been put in correctly - I should mention that the streaking was EXACTLY the same before the new OEM refill was put in so I would say most likely there is something wrong with the arm.

Now how do I go adjusting this arm then?!
Old 02-01-16, 02:31 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Get a new metal blade. The whole part that holds the rubber. The Highlander takes the exact same blades, so maybe a Toyota dealer will be less expensive. Trico makes them for Lexus. I forget which model it is, but have some extra blade assemblies at home and will check.

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-01-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 03:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I haven't adjusted the wiper arm myself but I believe it's the under the cover in the cowl area. Hopefully you're still under warranty. Have the dealer do it. Or maybe they'll replace the entire arm.

True about getting refills from a Toyota dealer. Price is slightly less. MY matters though. Last time I forgot to bring the part numbers and the driver side and rear wiper were not the correct size. The metal inserts are probably available separately.
Old 02-01-16, 08:42 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually like to lubricate the springs and hinges part with wd40 or white lubricate to ensure that whole unit is flexible and then bend in and out.

Last edited by lex_rx; 02-06-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 04:01 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Get a new metal blade. The whole part that holds the rubber. The Highlander takes the exact same blades, so maybe a Toyota dealer will be less expensive. Trico makes them for Lexus. I forget which model it is, but have some extra blade assemblies at home and will check.
The actual blade is fine and the inserts are OK too. I think its a tension issue - as in the whole metal arm is putting too much pressure onto the glass.

I haven't adjusted the wiper arm myself but I believe it's the under the cover in the cowl area. Hopefully you're still under warranty. Have the dealer do it. Or maybe they'll replace the entire arm.

True about getting refills from a Toyota dealer. Price is slightly less. MY matters though. Last time I forgot to bring the part numbers and the driver side and rear wiper were not the correct size. The metal inserts are probably available separately.
The RX is not under warranty. Its going to be 4 years in June. I might take a look at the arm to see if its bent and then just use pliers to put it back in line.

If that doesn't work then Ill just keep putting Rain X on (which helps a lot just dies off quicker) and wait till I can find a replacement for the 3RX........

Last edited by rayaans; 02-02-16 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 05:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

I have found Rain Clear works better and lasts much longer than RainX. It is a second generation product from the same inventor. He sold the RainX company, then after the non-compete expired, started Glass Science to market his second generation stuff which is much better. He also has a Glass Scrub which is great for cleaning before application.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Glass-S...5-oz-Bonus-S1/
Old 02-02-16, 10:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I use the Glass Scrub cleaner before applying RainX. Good stuff, but it has to be applied to wet windows with something other than a paper towel and rinsed well.

Sorry you're out of warranty, rayaans. It's worth a shot to contact the dealer anyway. Sometimes they will make a repair or adjustment as a goodwill gesture. At the least, maybe they can give you an idea about what the problem might be so you can fix on your own.
Old 02-05-16, 12:41 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Get a new blade, not a refill. Bosch Icon are well worth the money:
Amazon.com: Bosch 22A ICON Wiper Blade - 22" (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 22A ICON Wiper Blade - 22" (Pack of 1): Automotive
They're one piece, with no arms to trap snow and ice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious problems with wiper