RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

S4 Android Bluetooth Disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 06:32 PM
cdpalmer3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Android Bluetooth Disconnects

I have been trying to understand and solve a problem with my Samsung G4 (and subsequently G6) constantly connecting and disconnecting about every 2 minutes. Everything worked fine for about 2 weeks. Phone, Music playing, text messaging and even Email worked fine. Then the connect and disconnect problem would start. I tried deleting and repairing the phone. That did not help. The system was basically unusable for phone calls via bluetooth, and audio, messaging and email were completely dead.

Lexus said talk to Verizon. Verizon said talk to Samsung. Samsung said factory reset and rebuild the phone. It worked for a couple of weeks and same problem. After the 3rd rebuild I decided that this was not helping.

I hoped that the upgrade to the S6 would resolve this, but it only lasted about 2.5 weeks, but messages and email seemed a bit more reliable during that time.

I recently started playing with the detailed settings. I turned off Bluetooth > Lexus phone> Phone logs and Messages and things started working for phone calls. Feeling a little more confident, I turned "Contacts and Phone Logs" back on and things still worked. I then turned on Messages and things failed again. I deleted my email account and things, including messages started working again, and have ever since.

I discussed this with a representative at Lexus and they suggested turning off notifications on the email account. After reinstalling the email account, I tried this and so far so good. I no longer get notifications on the phone when a new email comes in, but the bluetooth seems stable for now.

Hopefully this will help someone else as it has taken me about 10 months to get this far. I had a loaner RAV4 and had the same problem a couple of months ago so it was not just my car. My wifes S4 works fine but I realize she does not use it for email as much, and it is with a different provider. Mine is using Hotmail (I can hear the snickers).

My question is can anyone give a detailed explanation of this problem and solution and tell if this is the best solution.? I saw some discussion of MAP in the Bluetooth protocol but am not familiar with the details.

I am happy if this remains stable, but I feel like this should not be a such a surprise problem... I would think that others have encountered the problem and the solution should be more defined than "do a factory reset"

Regards, Chuck