RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Done! 2013 Fsport conversion on 2010

Old 02-03-16, 04:02 AM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
OEM of course is the best way to go but i don't want any hassles....For the headlights i can do a projector retrofit so the beam quality will be fine and the front bumper as long as it's not fiberglass i'm ok with it....

When you have a family and kids you need alot things to be plug n play...lol

Also time/money will make a difference....Cost of ebay stuff vs. oem will be deciding factor
Alex,
I looked at those headlights from ebay as well before going the 2013 route. If you choose those lights plus the front bumper from alibaba you still will need to buy the emblem, chrome grille lower trim, lower grille and the f sport upper grille( it comes with a horizontal upper grille. That will add up to more than I paid for my oem conversion.(just a fyi)

I was in the same boat wishing someone hand a plug-in-play adapter for the headlights; so I made my own.

Last edited by diggdyone; 01-29-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 10:59 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
seems these are plu g n play....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2012-Bl...JWEwSt&vxp=mtr

and the kit from alibaba it would make life easier
Plug and play makes it way easier...but the big question is if it will support AFS...
Old 02-03-16, 01:53 PM
diggdyone
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Plug and play makes it way easier...but the big question is if it will support AFS...
I've seen a pair on ebay that will work with AFS. dk if they are black on the inside like those in the photo.

The F sport bumper was my motivation for change and the led DRLs, they were a bonus.
Old 02-04-16, 08:02 PM
plusONEran
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

to each their own. please don't waste money on this if you are not going to do it properly. all OEM is the only way to go. Why spend money and potentially get stuck with a product that may leak, cause ballast to go out, headaches, etc. OEM parts will have warranty and just properly sealed.
Old 02-15-16, 10:59 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome DIY!
I was in the market for a used 2013 rx350 but the prices were too high right now. I prefer the 2013 facelift. But knowing that you can do this face lift on a 2010 model, I think I can look for a lightly used 2010 model and save some money.
So on a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult would this DIY be?
Is sourcing the parts the most difficult thing to do?
And I'm gonna assume pricing will be significantly more buying OEM parts from the dealer.
Old 02-18-16, 03:09 PM
diggdyone
Driver

Originally Posted by OceanView
Awesome DIY!
I was in the market for a used 2013 rx350 but the prices were too high right now. I prefer the 2013 facelift. But knowing that you can do this face lift on a 2010 model, I think I can look for a lightly used 2010 model and save some money.
So on a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult would this DIY be?
Is sourcing the parts the most difficult thing to do?
And I'm gonna assume pricing will be significantly more buying OEM parts from the dealer.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 7; do to the fact that you have to set up the wiring for the headlights. Making the wires for the connectors and assembling the Highbeam headlight harness is truly the only tough part.

Finding the parts will be a breeze. Just used the advice that I posted.
I'll be around for more info.
Good hunting🤗
Old 02-18-16, 08:52 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by diggdyone
Alex,
I looked at those headlights from ebay as well before going the 2013 route. If you choose those lights plus the front bumper from alibaba you still will need to buy the emblem, chrome grille lower trim, lower grille and the f sport upper grille( it comes with a horizontal upper grille. That will add up to more than I paid for my oem conversion.(just a fyi)

I was in the same boat wishing someone hand a plug-in-play adapter for the headlights; so i made my own.
gotcha, nothings like oem. Guess when the time comes i'll re-read everything you've posted and go from there. For now i'm planning on moding my ES a little bit
Old 02-19-16, 06:28 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by plusONEran
good job diggdyone... we were attempting this conversion blindly as no one really had a write up. Just pulled wiring diagrams and part diagrams and went to work.

Here is my conversion. made possible with the help of my brother specONE. all correctly wired up with no error messages and all bulbs working with correct switches.

I loved how the RX look lowered, especially with the sport bumper.

However, why did you choose those wheels out of all the wheel choices and colors to choose from?

Those wheels belong on a Subaru STI or Honda Civic, not a nice luxury ride like the RX especially after you got the stance/body just right.

Hell, the factory wheels would fit the ride better with some spacers than those wheels in my opinion but to each their own I guess.

Again I do love the lowered sport-wagon look though.

The stock F-sports never seem to look right to me at the factory height since they look like jack-up sport-wagons with narrow wheels to boot.

The new 2016 F-sport however got the look right.

Nice ride none the less.

Please change the wheels!!!
Old 02-19-16, 07:26 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
I loved how the RX look lowered, especially with the sport bumper.

However, why did you choose those wheels out of all the wheel choices and colors to choose from?

Those wheels belong on a Subaru STI or Honda Civic, not a nice luxury ride like the RX especially after you got the stance/body just right.

Hell, the factory wheels would fit the ride better with some spacers than those wheels in my opinion but to each their own I guess.

Again I do love the lowered sport-wagon look though.

The stock F-sports never seem to look right to me at the factory height since they look like jack-up sport-wagons with narrow wheels to boot.

The new 2016 F-sport however got the look right.

Nice ride none the less.

Please change the wheels!!!
These forged 20" volk racing wheels are lighter than the stock cast wheels
It's about doing something out of the norm.
We like the wheels, it's our car and we look at it everyday. You will only see it if you look at it on the internet so don't worry about it, be happy.
Old 02-19-16, 10:02 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by diggdyone
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 7; do to the fact that you have to set up the wiring for the headlights. Making the wires for the connectors and assembling the Highbeam headlight harness is truly the only tough part.

Finding the parts will be a breeze. Just used the advice that I posted.
I'll be around for more info.
Good hunting🤗
Thanks for the reply.
Was there a wiring diagram?
I don't think I saw one.
Old 02-19-16, 11:07 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by specONE
These forged 20" volk racing wheels are lighter than the stock cast wheels
It's about doing something out of the norm.
We like the wheels, it's our car and we look at it everyday. You will only see it if you look at it on the internet so don't worry about it, be happy.

I know the brand of wheels well, hence why I know that mostly the JDM fan boys put them on the Subarus,Lancers, Civics, etc. in my area.

But you are correct that it is your car and you have the right to put what ever you want on it.

Just giving you a hard time about the Volks.

I am sure the RX handles/accelerates/brakes better with them for sure.

I still would have at the least have gone with a different color on the Volks for the black RX like bronze.

OK. I will stop criticizing your wheels even though when post pics on the internet you should expect some feedback with may include some constructive criticism.

Seriously, very nice RX.
Old 02-19-16, 12:02 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75

I know the brand of wheels well, hence why I know that mostly the JDM fan boys put them on the Subarus,Lancers, Civics, etc. in my area.

But you are correct that it is your car and you have the right to put what ever you want on it.

Just giving you a hard time about the Volks.

I am sure the RX handles/accelerates/brakes better with them for sure.

I still would have at the least have gone with a different color on the Volks for the black RX like bronze.

OK. I will stop criticizing your wheels even though when post pics on the internet you should expect some feedback with may include some constructive criticism.

Seriously, very nice RX.
constructive criticism is fine. we could handle it
Could you name any other 3RX with wheels on this forum though? We are paving a path less taken really in the Lexus community. Name Another RX in American Soil that has aftermarket wheels even put on it

Or Air suspension on it at that or anything remotely done to this "extreme" if you even could call it that? The only one that will probably come to mind is one from years ago built for SEMA (the suspension from that vehicle is actually on ours now)

The wheel choice and color was purposely chosen

We are paving a road that some may take or may never take but sharing what we have learned along the way that we are apply from our knowledge of working on other Lexus into the 3RX platform. We have more to share with this community ( I may need to start a thread showing pictorial documenting the Air suspension install some day)
Old 02-20-16, 05:25 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

^^
LOL.

Well if your plan is to create a very unique looking RX you have succeeded.

I was going to ask did your RX have a air-ride setup.

Very nice indeed.
Old 02-20-16, 06:37 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Could you name any other 3RX with wheels on this forum though? We are paving a path less taken really in the Lexus community. Name Another RX in American Soil that has aftermarket wheels even put on it
First, let me just say great job on the conversion. It looks great. Can't tell it from factory. I love that look, but we decided we didn't favor the other f-sport attributes when we purchased. I now understand there was a sport package that might have given us the same look without the rougher ride and black headliner. Anyhow looks great.

However, aftermarket wheels may not be as unique as you may think. I have seen several around here with aftermarket wheels. There have also been several members on this forum that have posted images of their aftermarket rims. Yurka, whose Lexus was recently involved in a hit and run, has black rims on his white RX. I personally love the stock 19" rims and wouldn't care to swap them out, but the black on black certainly gives your ride a unique look. While the wheels may not be my preference, I still think the overall look is great, while still a bit unique. Nice job and thanks for sharing your notes and paving the way.
Old 03-28-16, 06:20 AM
Smoke2071
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have, or I should say my wife has, a 2013 AWD RX350, I would like to replace the standard front bumper with the sport or Fsport front bumper. Do you have any idea what parts, other than the bumper cover, I would need?

BTW the 10 to13 conversion looks great. Nice work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Done! 2013 Fsport conversion on 2010