RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A couple questions - My Rx350 is close to 50K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 08:38 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple questions - My Rx350 is close to 50K miles

I figure brakes would be in order, but what other services should I be thinking about? New shocks? (I am getting new tires for sure)

Any engine stuff? Pretty sure timing chains are a thing of the past, good riddance

Alos, I have a local Toyota dealer who does my tire rotate/oil change, would they be OK for the type of work above?

Thanks much. Dave
Old 01-09-16, 04:44 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Certainly not new shocks. I have driven multiple Lexus and Acura's over 150,000 miles and have never replaced shocks. At 50,000 miles you might need brakes pads replaced.

I never go in a say I want the 10,000, 20,000 or 50,000 mile service. Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus/Toyota dealership. This should be less than $80. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in an ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor for the oil and $20 for the tire rotation.
Old 01-09-16, 06:14 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

What? You mean you don't go to the dealer, expecting a free cappuccino and 3x the normal amount for the mechanic to check a box that says the engine is there....tires are round...l badge is shinny? Who does that? LOL!!! I've been taking my cars to an Indy shop for years. He pretty much tells me what's been said above and my Lexus cars have been cheaper to drive than Nissans an Hondas until the miles hit well over 150k. That was the tipping point. So long as regular required maintenance is performed, these cars can be driven for cheap if the dealer is kept out of it.

Too often, folks are told the car needs to be dealer serviced to maintain its value. That may be somewhat true if selling to an individual within 5 years of new and the buyer cares that you paid 3x for service, but neither of mine ended up worth a penny more after ten years of ownership. Doubt they would have been worth anymore had I traded them in 5 years. Keep your receipts and that should be all that matters.
Old 01-09-16, 07:46 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I figure brakes would be in order, but what other services should I be thinking about? New shocks? (I am getting new tires for sure)

Any engine stuff? Pretty sure timing chains are a thing of the past, good riddance

Alos, I have a local Toyota dealer who does my tire rotate/oil change, would they be OK for the type of work above?

Thanks much. Dave
LOL.

Timing chains are still going strong in car engines, which is a good thing because the alternative would be timing belts.

Timing chains are usually good for more than 200k miles or more if the oil is changed regularly(oil lubes the chain/chain guide), however timing-belts are only good to about 100k miles before they fail.

Luckily our RX engines has timing chains.

At 50k miles you will mostly only have to inspect the car for leaks and lubricate door hinges and such.

Depending on how you drive the brakes pads may need changing, but not much else should need attention.

Maybe oil change if it was last changed at 40k miles.
Old 01-09-16, 04:05 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Brake pads, oil, tires.
Old 01-09-16, 09:06 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

LOL, thanks for the laughs and the excellent advice. These cars really are built to last I guess I was hearkening back to the day when if you did not get the timing chain replaced at 60K (which required an engine rebuild practically) then the engine would explode

I am sure I need the brake pads, tires and the oil was just changed. Engine still there! Tires round! That cracks me up!

Thanks again, this forum rocks.
Old 01-09-16, 09:34 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't have to do front brake pads until nearly 90k miles.

It's a timing CHAIN, not belt. Supposed to last the life of the car.

The fuel hoses/lines are mainly metal, with short rubber connectors - not much to replace in terms of belts or hoses.

At your mileage, I would replace the windshield wipers, the remote fob battery, and possibly coolant, depending on service and driving environment.

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-11-16, 01:19 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
I didn't have to do front brake pads until nearly 90k miles.

It's a timing CHAIN, not belt. Supposed to last the life of the car.

The fuel hoses/lines are mainly metal, with short rubber connectors - not much to replace in terms of belts or hoses.

At your mileage, I would replace the windshield wipers, the remote fob battery, and possibly coolant, depending on service and driving environment.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks. Good tip about the coolant. The blades are brand new, got some great ones from the Toyota dealer. The last ones I got from a third party company called something like RainMaker sucked pretty bad. Made more noise than a jet engine. Good blades change the car greatly when it rains.
Old 01-11-16, 04:41 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Lexus calls for the coolant to be changed at 100,000. Prior to 100,000, the only things needed to be changed are the oil every 10,000 miles and the brake fluid every 30,000.
Old 01-11-16, 06:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

This may apply depending on your vehicle year. If you have the tow package with the oil cooler there is the service bulletin and extended warranty in case the rubber oil cooler hoses start leaking. They used rubber hoses then decided they were failing too often and replaced with metal ones, but there is only the extended warranty. You may have received something in the mail. They should check the hoses as they are right next to the oil filter.

You can tell if you have the tow package if on the driver side front wheel well there are air vents on the front lower part. They are to cool the transmission cooler.
Old 01-11-16, 07:59 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You can tell if you have the tow package if on the driver side front wheel well there are air vents on the front lower part. They are to cool the transmission cooler.
Is this the case with all with such option? I don't know if I have the tow package, but do have the vents. When I look through, I don't see anything! Maybe the vents are standard with 2013+ models?
Old 01-11-16, 10:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

If you have a 2013 then you have the metal oil cooler hose as they changed it for the 2012 model year. The vents mean you have the tow package which includes extra oil cooler, bigger transmission cooler, bigger alternator and towing lights wiring hidden inside back bumper.
Old 01-15-16, 02:03 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Clutchless
This may apply depending on your vehicle year. If you have the tow package with the oil cooler there is the service bulletin and extended warranty in case the rubber oil cooler hoses start leaking. They used rubber hoses then decided they were failing too often and replaced with metal ones, but there is only the extended warranty. You may have received something in the mail. They should check the hoses as they are right next to the oil filter.

Roger that. I am 99% sure I do not have it, but I also never gave it any thought. I will have a look.
Old 01-16-16, 05:50 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Can you have the tow option without a trailer hitch??
Old 01-16-16, 06:42 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
Can you have the tow option without a trailer hitch??
yes, i have FWD with tow package with no trailer hitch.

Quick Reply: A couple questions - My Rx350 is close to 50K miles