RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

60k service

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 05:54 AM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k service

Our car is getting closer to the 60k service. The dealer wanted to do it early (no surprise) but we are going to wait. The oil change is covered as part of the purchase. What else, if anything, should I have the dealer do?

Most of the things on the list are things I can do (e.g. cabin filter, engine filter, rotate tires). We purchased the car as a CPO with 49k. It had just had the 50k service done including new brakes pads and resurfacing of the rotors (front and back). We also had the steering column repaired based on the TSB.

Thanks!

Here is the list:

60,000 Mile Factory Recommended
Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)
Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace engine air filter
Replace smart key battery
Re-torque nuts and bolts of drive shaft
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake rotor thickness and runout
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect transfer case
Inspect transmission fluid
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Old 12-23-15, 06:45 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

I never go in a say I want the 10,000, 20,000 or 60,000 mile service. Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus/Toyota dealership. This should be less than $80. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in an ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor for the oil and $20 for the tire rotation.
Old 12-23-15, 07:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I would have the automatic transmission fluid flushed. My local Lexus dealer charges $300. It is a complicated procedure that takes a while. If you plan to keep it for much over 100,000 miles I would spend the money as a new transmission is over $3,000.
Old 12-23-15, 08:32 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreeing with Fred - I go in with a list.

They will be looking for ways to open your wallet - so asking them to look is not only a waste of time, it's a waste of money. If the boots are leaking - they'll bring it to your attention. If the brakes look anywhere near worn - they'll also bring it to your attention.

You can change the battery in your opener yourself - or at nearly any auto parts store for the cost of the battery ($5 max).

Remember - they're in the business to sell parts - so paying them to specifically look for a part to sell is, well, not necessary.

I have to make sure that they don't put on new wiper blades - simply because of the mileage (I drive 20K per year - and most of that is NOT with the wipers on - so 10K miles on my car is only six months; while for others on this board, it's nearly two years/winters. Got caught on that on my first 10K service. Never again.

Same for cabin/engine filters - If I lived downwind of a rock quarry - perhaps. But since I drive the car mostly on the highways (have a roadster for summer; and a 4x4 for nasty days) - and not downwind of any major city - cabin filter replacement at the recommended intervals is merely a donation.

Oil changes - now that's another thing. I replace mine at 5K with the requisite corporate synthetic. And I've already changed the oil in the gearboxes (I drive an AWD Hybrid RXh) at 35K miles (my career was with a transmission and steer/drive axle and brake manufacturer).
Old 12-23-15, 01:41 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutchless, when I went in at 60k and asked the dealer to flush the transmission fluid, he kept telling me no and to wait until 90k. They also said that they did not believe in the special machine for it and just gravity drain it. Do you think I should go to another or just keep pushing for it? For everything else, the dealer has been pretty good to me.
Old 12-23-15, 02:39 PM
Clutchless

I would not wait until 90k. Gravity drain is what I do in my own garage and you can only drain out 2 quarts at a time. It takes about 2 or 3 drain and fills to make a difference. Is there another Lexus or Toyota dealer you could contact to see if they do an ATF flush?
Old 12-23-15, 02:53 PM
chandlervt
Driver

I would stick with recommended duration for transmission fluid change. If dealer says its OK, then its fine. Keep checking the color of fluid. I personally NEVER do flush. Flush uses pressurized pump. If your transmission is on its way out - it will hasten the demise. Always ask for gravity drain. If you do that at 60k interval, get another one done in 6 months.

Clutchless,

Is there any reason you want him to do sooner? I don't see why unless Lexus transmission has proven to be problematic and I know it hasn't. Dealers tend to make lot of profit on transmission fluid changes/flush. Why would they not recommend if its good for car?
Old 12-23-15, 03:27 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input.

My question was mostly what should I ask them to do on that list. I already planned to do my own filters and "inspections." I am not sure about the brake fluid and drive shaft bolts (I am not sure of their torque settings or if they are accessible without ramps).

Anyone do those on their own?
Old 12-23-15, 04:55 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Clutchless. I'll ask one more time and if not, I'll check out the Toyota dealer. When I asked, they just said it was unnecessarily early.

Engine, rear differential, and transfer case fluids are all somewhat accessible without ramps. The differential was the easiest but the other two were kind of awkward and would be a lot easier and cleaner if the car was lifted. 5' 11", ~135lbs and I barely fit under for the engine and transfer case fluid changes. I haven't tried the others yet.
Old 12-24-15, 07:58 AM
Clutchless

Because the Toyota/Lexus WS ATF is not a very good ATF and without a dipstick, you have to drain some fluid to check it. It is semi-synthetic at best and will be worn out by 60K. Valvoline Max-Life multi vehicle ATF or Mag One low viscosity ATF are both full synthetic, fully compatible and will hold up much longer. I have been putting Mag One in mine, doing 3 drain and fills so far. It shifts better than ever. I am also very proactive doing preventive maintenance on all my vehicles as if I plan to keep them forever.

See this at bobistheoilguy http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/3742149/1

Also the folks at the Toyotanation forum have been discussing the weakness of WS ATF for several years and many have done the ATF fluid change or flush and posted instructions.

Most ATF flush machines do not have pressure. You run the vehicle and they just pump in new fluid as the old fluid is pumped out through the cooler lines. The technology is matching the inflow with the outflow. If you get rid of your cars every few years this does not matter, you will not own it long enough for transmission issues.

I have torqued the drive shaft bolts and you need to lift it up for access. Floor jacks worked but the angle was not the greatest, the job would be easier if it was up in the air on a lift. I forgot the torque setting, but it is not hard to look up, probably easier to find at Toyotanation Highlander forum.

You really need floor jacks and jack stands to lift it to properly access the transfer case and it makes the rear differential access easier. I recently did my last ATF drain and fill with out lifting it as the drain plug is easy to get at as is the fill if you turn the wheels to the left and I outweigh you by 50 pounds for the same height.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-24-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-26-15, 03:54 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not trying to start something but I talked with a guy that has an es and a rx 350 a 09 and 11. The 09 has 195000 and his rx 160000 and of course I asked him a few questions and he never changed the tyranny fluid in the 09 and did it once at 120000 on the rx. Too bad we can't get accurate # on how many transmission placements done on our present cars due to fluid failure. I'm sure if you tested his they might be a little beaten up. I think you have to be reasonable, Most rx owners don't even have a floor jack and don't want to do the procedure as posted as well as paying the 300+ dollars to get it done still leaving old fluid in it. As far as the owners that like to put hundreds of thousand of miles on them I would do as you recommend. Clutch your information is well appreciated by me as well as others and I do have all the toys needed to do the job but at 65 I'm done wrenching on my own cars. Always good to drive into the service shop armed with good and accurate information. Thank you.
Old 12-26-15, 01:31 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flushed the ATF in my 2011 RX when it hit 87K miles, the fluid was light brown color and should have been flushed earlier. I got 3 gallons valvoline maxlife from Walmart, it is fully synthetic and is compatible with Toyota ATF WS.

The procedure is pretty straight forward, you just need to disconnect the ATF outlet line from the radiator and get all the ATF out.
Old 12-26-15, 01:44 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color of the ATF at 87K:
Attached Thumbnails 60k service-e2b3143d-dcaf-4769-bfd6-5dc4c8f66de0.jpg  
Old 12-27-15, 08:58 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Look at post 62 on this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nge-diy-5.html

I was starting to have an acceleration whine at low speeds. Shifting seemed to lag at times too, both symptoms when the tranny got hot. Both are gone with the drain & fill procedure as per referenced thread (did it 3 times, then work got really busy). I consider our environ severe service (115 degrees in summer, 25 degrees this am. ) and our dealers (2 in the county) both don't believe in changing the "lifetime" fluid. If you plan on keeping your vehicle, heed clutchless' advice. The fluid the first time changing was quite dark.
Old 12-28-15, 06:21 AM
Clutchless

One final comment to hovbuild. The $300 price I mentioned was for the Lexus dealer to do a complete ATF fluid exchange or flush. Exchange is more accurate for what is done. All of the fluid would be replaced. They usually flush more fluid through than the capacity to ensure it is all replaced. The use clear lines so you can see the color change to determine when this has been accomplished, plus the exchange machines measure the amount of fluid in and out which is shown on the digital display.
The point is not only to prevent possible transmission failure but to keep the transmission operating and shifting as fast and smoothly as when it was new. Shift quality due to fluid contamination from wear and fluid additive pack depletion often deteriorates as the vehicle ages and the miles accumulate.

Quick Reply: 60k service