RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 08:38 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New buyer questions

Hello there ... I'm looking at buying a used RX350 (2013). I'm currently test-driving a model with most of the optional packages installed (everything but the 'luxury package', it would seem - so no extendable seat cushion, headlight washers, etc). It has 19" wheels, leather seats, heated/cooled seats, NAV, etc.

I'm very happy with many features - quiet, smooth, powerful, great bluetooth, etc but I'm having one major issue - the driver's seat. Despite the many adjustment options, I can't seem to get comfortable. A few reviews have noted a lack of thigh support, and this one seems to agree with my observations: "Our only gripe remains that the standard front seats are a little flat and have odd back contouring". Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I note that the luxury package includes a seat with "power front seat cushion extenders"... but the dealer doesn't have any models with that option available. Does that make a big difference?

The car also has the wood-trimmed steering wheel, which looks great but feels awful ... I'm guessing I'd have to put a leather cover around that to deal with it.

Finally - the ride is not as smooth as I'd like; since it has the 19" wheels, I'm guessing that is the cause (from the same review above: "the ride can be sharper (though still not rough) with the 19-inch wheel options."). I'm asking the dealer if he'd swap the 19" wheels with the 18" wheels on another RX 350 in the shop (should be a good deal for him as the 19" wheels look better and cost more).

I've already ruled out the Acura and Infiniti alternatives, and can't risk the European alternatives (reliability/cost) given the amount of miles I drive (30k / year).

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-19-15, 11:03 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2011 RX350 model with the same options as you described except for the sport suspension w/ 19in wheels, and the seats feel fine to me, but it could be better I suppose.

My wife is 5'5'' and she loves how the seats feel.

Since she drives the RX350 mostly I guess we can leave with it.

The stiff ride quality is because the 19in wheel options also means that you have the stiffer sport suspension which is less forgiving over rough roads compared the standard suspension with the 18in wheels.

I suppose that the 18in wheels would help soften the ride a bit, but it will not be as comfortable as the non-sport models I suspect.
Old 12-20-15, 06:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I have a 14 RX and have the same problem with the front seat. I'm fairly short and cannot get comfortable either without the seat base extender. It's possible the one your test driving could have too much air in the tires. If I had it to do over I would look for one with the luxury pkg. I love my RX but, I don't like the seats.
Old 12-20-15, 08:32 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a 2014 RX350 and have taken several long trips and have been very happy with the comfort and ride of the RX.

How the seats feel is a very personal thing. When we were car shopping my wife would sit in the driver's seat before we would even consider the car. She has short legs and if the seat pan is too long it cuts into the back of her knees and is very uncomfortable. When my wife says "No, this car won't work", the salesman will usually start adjusting the seat and trying to make it fit but we have never found a car with and adjustment for that length.
Old 12-20-15, 11:20 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreeing that a seat is very personal, when I purchased my '13 AWD RXh I was a bit concerned that the number of positions was two less than the German car it replaced - however, both the driver and passenger shared the same adjustment and lumbar support.

I love the feel of the wooden steering wheel; and, in fact, find myself "fondling" it as I drive -- and try to keep my rings from "personalizing" it.

In the 40K miles driven during the past two years, I find that:

A) I don't miss the adjustment opportunities that I thought I'd lost, and
B) I arrive at my destination unfatigued.

Our last trip was a two-day 1,100 mile highway trip - with the car loaded (seats down) internally and externally (Thule Roof Carrier) and two bikes on a Yakima trailer-hitch rack.

The 19" tires delivered a comfortable ride (they were measured by the Toyota dealership this week during an oil change at 5/32" - so I'm quite happy with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400's that others seem to hate).

I didn't need to adjust the seat even once - and I did all of the driving.

I find it to be a very comfortable travel car.

P.S.: I'm a plump 5'10" - and I do find entry/exit to be much harder than I had expected for this size vehicle. I need to duck my head too much for my liking (I've had neck surgery) when getting in; and when I get out, I feel that I'm breaking down the seat bolster by the way I step/slide out. I've found much smaller cars much easier to get in/out of.

Last edited by NateJG; 12-20-15 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Add the P.S.
Old 12-20-15, 11:25 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearly it's a matter of personal preference. But I find the seats in my 2015 RX450h to be very comfortable, and I've taken many long-hour drives.
Old 12-20-15, 11:34 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by litzdog911
Clearly it's a matter of personal preference. But I find the seats in my 2015 RX450h to be very comfortable, and I've taken many long-hour drives.
Do you have the heated/cooled seats? It occurred to me that maybe the cooling feature is adding some stiffness to the seat bottom. I've had heated seats for decades and wouldn't buy a car without them, but cooled seats are new to me and it occurs to me that maybe the cooling piece has an impact on comfort. For heating, you just have to run an electrical heating element, but for cooling, I'm imagining you have to have a layer of fairly solid air passages that don't compress.

P.S. are heated (only, no cooling) seats standard on all variants, or do you have to go with the 'Comfort Plus' package to get even heated seats?

Last edited by steerpike; 12-20-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 05:36 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure if the seats in the 15 differ from the seats in the 13, but the seats in our 15 F-Sport are very comfortable.
Old 12-21-15, 07:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I do not think the cooling changes the seats as the fan is far below the seat cushion. Look under the seat.

Also just because you have 19 inch wheels does not mean you have sport suspension (which only included 19" wheels, stiffer struts/shocks and VDIM). Many more cars just have the 19 inch upgrade. There are very few with the sport suspension package, which I think was only available from 2010-2012 or 13. I know because I spent almost a year trying to find one but they were all in California or Texas or had too high mileage and I am on the east coast. You can tell if you have it because you also have the VDIM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ted_Management
option with a switch on the center console (I think).

Steerpike should test drive a Highlander to see if the seats are better for him. It is a mechanical twin and fully loaded can be very close in luxury level.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-21-15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 11:09 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good steering wheel cover?
Old 12-23-15, 12:44 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I do not think the cooling changes the seats as the fan is far below the seat cushion. Look under the seat.
My point was that, to be effective, the cooling feature requires actual airflow 'under' the seat surface (close to the surface) in order to cool the surface, so there has to be an air gap maintained somehow (unlike for heating, where you just have to run an electrical element). This may have some stiffening consequences.
Also just because you have 19 inch wheels does not mean you have sport suspension (which only included 19" wheels, stiffer struts/shocks and VDIM). Many more cars just have the 19 inch upgrade. There are very few with the sport suspension package, which I think was only available from 2010-2012 or 13. I know because I spent almost a year trying to find one but they were all in California or Texas or had too high mileage and I am on the east coast. You can tell if you have it because you also have the VDIM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ted_Management
option with a switch on the center console (I think).
Agreed - it was another poster that associated 19" wheels with the 'sport' options. The car I drove didn't have any of the indications of 'sport' model (paddle shifters, distinctive grill, etc). You also get 19" wheels with the "luxury Package" ... but in that package, they are 'superchrome' finished (which looks really tacky IMO).
Steerpike should test drive a Highlander to see if the seats are better for him. It is a mechanical twin and fully loaded can be very close in luxury level.
That is very interesting advice ... I just took a look at the 2013 and 2014 Highlander specs/reviews, and they do look like they might fit the bill. Two quick reasons why they may NOT work - I have no need of extra row seating, and the length is slightly longer than the RX 350 (esp the 2014 model); the space in my garage fit the RX350 with just a few inches to spare so I'd have to really check that out.

I'm trying to find an RX350 with the Luxury Package so I can check out the seats ... even though that means I'd get the gaudy chrome wheels!
Old 12-23-15, 09:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

You can always trade in the chrome wheels for the regular finish ones at http://www.wheelcollision.com/store/...00H-RX450H.htm
Old 12-23-15, 10:04 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few weeks back I test rode a used 2015 RX350 with,I think, every option on it with 13Kmi on it. It had lux pkge (seats were great) nav, AWD, towing pkge with hitch installed, 19" wheels,etc. for $41,500. I went home and thought about it and went back on the weekend to get it and it sold the day before. So I ended getting a new 2015 F-Sport ($47K). Not ready for the design of the 2016 yet. BTW... I traded in my LS 460.

Likes for the F-Sport:

I like the handling better with very little corner lean. BTW... it was harsher riding but then I found out they put 35lbs of air in the tires, I lowered it and feels good now.
I like the paddle shifters in the mountains.
The 8spd trans.
Seemed quicker, don't know why, maybe the VDIM controlling things.
The looks are sportier.

Dislikes on the F-sport:

Now the seats I liked much better in the non-sport with the lux pkge, I have long legs and the seat extensions fit me, the F-sport seats cuts me at mid-thigh.
It had the towing prep pkge only so I had to buy and install a hitch, I bought a curt hitch for $140 ( I tow a dual motorcycle trailer).
The price was $6K more although the non-sport was a year old.
Old 12-25-15, 09:51 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ehc0720
... So I ended getting a new 2015 F-Sport ($47K).

Now the seats I liked much better in the non-sport with the lux pkge, I have long legs and the seat extensions fit me, the F-sport seats cuts me at mid-thigh.
That's a lot of dough to spend on a car with seats you don't like too much! I drive SF->Phoenix (750 mi) every month (often non-stop) and really need comfort above everything. I can't conceive of spending that much for something that doesn't fit the bill.

I used to have an Acura TL, and developed terrible back problems so decided to give the 'Crossover' SUV a try due to the more upright seating position. I tested an Acura RDX but at the last minute bought the Honda CR-V since I wasn't sure if I'd like the format or not. The CR-V - despite being noisy, bumpy, underpowered, and generally pretty nasty - has, for some reason, done wonders for my back and I assumed the RX 350 would be a big improvement seating wise but after just 50 miles, my back felt bad. Maybe I just need to give it another shot ...
Old 12-27-15, 04:10 PM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steerpike
That's a lot of dough to spend on a car with seats you don't like too much! I drive SF->Phoenix (750 mi) every month (often non-stop) and really need comfort above everything. I can't conceive of spending that much for something that doesn't fit the bill.

I used to have an Acura TL, and developed terrible back problems so decided to give the 'Crossover' SUV a try due to the more upright seating position. I tested an Acura RDX but at the last minute bought the Honda CR-V since I wasn't sure if I'd like the format or not. The CR-V - despite being noisy, bumpy, underpowered, and generally pretty nasty - has, for some reason, done wonders for my back and I assumed the RX 350 would be a big improvement seating wise but after just 50 miles, my back felt bad. Maybe I just need to give it another shot ...
Short rides are fine, but after about 2 hrs I'm ready to get out. We also have a little Mazda3 and the seats are great, but it is noisy. We drive FL-NC every month or so, going to be a hard choice which car to take, maybe our motorcycles!!!

Quick Reply: New buyer questions