RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 11:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Battery Issue

At Lexus service now.
Seems the battery issues of other newer Lexus models are with my '15 RX too.
Wouldn't start today. Called Lexus road service. Rep said it's a bad battery cell.
He said very common with his newer Lexus model dead battery calls.
Old 12-12-15, 04:39 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Battery failures happen with most other auto make as well due to all the tech that are now draining a battery even when the engine is off without the alternator charging the battery, example delayed light shutoff, automatic seat, etc.

I always recommend that owners purchase a battery charger and fully charge the car battery at least once a month.

Most car batteries are never really charged to 100% by the alternator alone due to parasitic drains from all the electronics when the engine is running.

To make matters worst, many owners really do not drive the car long enough for the alternator to charge the battery daily, so that many batteries are really only about half-way charged for years until they fail.

I always say treat your car batteries like any other rechargeable battery, charge it to 100% and then let run down and charge it full power again.

A cell phone battery that is fully charged to 100% every night usually last longer than a cell phone battery that is drained and only charged to about 50% and drained again.

Same concept with car batteries.

Your 15' RX battery could have been sitting for while before you bought it.

The car may be a 2015 model, however your battery could be older and was allowed to drain power without being fully recharged and remained that way even when you drove the car.

When you buy your new battery I would purchase a charger as well.

Just my advice to help your battery last longer than a couple years.
Old 12-12-15, 05:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
Battery failures happen with most other auto make as well due to all the tech that are now draining a battery even when the engine is off without the alternator charging the battery, example delayed light shutoff, automatic seat, etc.

I always recommend that owners purchase a battery charger and fully charge the car battery at least once a month.

Most car batteries are never really charged to 100% by the alternator alone due to parasitic drains from all the electronics when the engine is running.

To make matters worst, many owners really do not drive the car long enough for the alternator to charge the battery daily, so that many batteries are really only about half-way charged for years until they fail.

I always say treat your car batteries like any other rechargeable battery, charge it to 100% and then let run down and charge it full power again.

A cell phone battery that is fully charged to 100% every night usually last longer than a cell phone battery that is drained and only charged to about 50% and drained again.

Same concept with car batteries.

Your 15' RX battery could have been sitting for while before you bought it.

The car may be a 2015 model, however your battery could be older and was allowed to drain power without being fully recharged and remained that way even when you drove the car.

When you buy your new battery I would purchase a charger as well.

Just my advice to help your battery last longer than a couple years.
The battery had a bad cell and was replaced by the dealer.
My '15 was delivered to the dealer and I bought the RX 3-4 days later a few months ago.So it's good it didn't sit for months.

Only 5K-6K miles per with some short trips but some long ones too.

Good idea to give it a good charge every month.Especially with winter weather coming. I will carry my small lithium batter jumper now.

The Lexus sent tow guy got it started by just pushing the start button and trying to start 5-6 times.Heard some ugly sounding noise which he said was the starter trying to start without the correct amperage but it started.
So he started it without a jump and said his newer Lexus model dead battery calls are mostly bad batteries with a dead cell or cells.
I drove to the dealer and battery was replaced.

Dealer service did say what he did does produce pressure on the starter which isn't good.
Well it's under basic warranty and I bought a discounted extended Platinum warranty.

Thanks for the monthly charge tip.
Old 12-12-15, 06:43 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The battery had a bad cell and was replaced by the dealer.
My '15 was delivered to the dealer and I bought the RX 3-4 days later a few months ago.So it's good it didn't sit for months.

Only 5K-6K miles per with some short trips but some long ones too.

Good idea to give it a good charge every month.Especially with winter weather coming. I will carry my small lithium batter jumper now.

The Lexus sent tow guy got it started by just pushing the start button and trying to start 5-6 times.Heard some ugly sounding noise which he said was the starter trying to start without the correct amperage but it started.
So he started it without a jump and said his newer Lexus model dead battery calls are mostly bad batteries with a dead cell or cells.
I drove to the dealer and battery was replaced.

Dealer service did say what he did does produce pressure on the starter which isn't good.
Well it's under basic warranty and I bought a discounted extended Platinum warranty.

Thanks for the monthly charge tip.
I am happy Lexus took care of the issue for you.

It seems that Lexus has some batteries sitting around the factories that such be charging on a battery maintainer while awaiting to be installed in the new cars.

Like I mentioned earlier, your RX is new however the battery may be older and have been sitting in a factory/warehouse until it was installed in your RX.

A couple of causes of battery cell failure is that batteries are allowed to drain when stored unless hooked up to a maintainer, and not being charged fully during their service life.

FYI, you had a lazy tow guy.

It would have been better for him to just give you jump and let it charge a few minutes instead of wasting time forcing a weak battery to start the car, which could have stalled out on you again when he was gone if you had to stop the car for any reason before you made it somewhere to get a new battery.

Well, it worked out in the end.