RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto Sensing WW's

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 12:31 PM
rwsinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Sensing WW's

OK, need some help here. My wife’s new RX has the Rain Sensing WW’s. I get the bit about having the lever in the AUTO position and and the manual says, “they will adjust to rain volume and driving…”. OK, got that but then it says the sensitivity can also be adjusted with the switch ring. This is where I have a question. Our “Ring” has an “Auto” mark on it as well. Does this mean that for this feature to be in full auto mode the ring also has to be set on AUTO? The manual is not real clear or I am real dumb.
Any clarification appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Auto Sensing WW's-img_1133.jpg  
Old 11-13-15, 01:19 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm pretty sure you aren't real dumb!

You're just adjusting the sensitivity. With the ring as it is in the photo, I believe you are in the most sensitive mode. The problem is that the sensor so inconsistent that it's hard to tell. It's supposed to go faster as you increase the speed of the car, but it's a bit slow to adjust. When my car is stopped, the wipers stop, too. Then they don't start soon enough. I've discovered that if I force them to go once, they work OK after that, but that just seems stupid, to me. My lovely wife has simply stopped using them on auto, but I refuse to be defeated. I'm stubborn that way. I simply out wait the bastards! (Sorry! I tried, but no other word worked nearly as well in that use)

I will say that ours worked a LOT better after we had to reattach the sensor to the windshield
Old 11-13-15, 01:32 PM
rwsinky
Driver School Candidate

Woodrow, Thanks for the reply. It is frustrating and I still do not get the need for the AUTO label on the ring. Guess, that's why I am not en engineer.
Old 11-13-15, 01:37 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually force it to start wiping immediately on a green light by adjusting the ring setting up or down. Try that if it works for you.
Old 11-13-15, 02:10 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

On my RX when there is rain on the window, my index finger automatically pushes the lever on the steering wheel.
Old 11-13-15, 06:46 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the AUTO on the ring is just to indicate that the ring controls the auto setting. I usually leave mine just below halfway on the ring, unless the rain is coming down hard and then sometimes I turn it up.
Old 11-13-15, 11:07 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right. I'm pretty sure the "AUTO" just labels the control.
Old 11-14-15, 09:45 AM
rwsinky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Leap! I thought maybe I had missed something. Thanks to all who replied.
Old 11-14-15, 09:51 AM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gather that rain-sensing wipers is an exclusive feature of the comfort package... true? If so, would it be logical to say that if a car has "AUTO" on the wiper switch, the car has the comfort package and, likewise, has Xenon HID headlamps?
Old 11-16-15, 05:41 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_rx
I usually force it to start wiping immediately on a green light by adjusting the ring setting up or down. Try that if it works for you.
^^ I do the same thing..

Personally I don't like rain sensing wipers and prefer the old fashion intermittent wipers. Rain sensing wipers in my experience, regardless of vehicle brand never seem to work right.

Last edited by JT4; 11-17-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 07:23 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not much rain in CA but on a recent trip we went through a bit of weather and I remember talking about how well the wipers worked. I think they were "stuck on stupid" a couple of times but once they got going the speed of the wipers adjusted well to the amount of rain we were going through.
Old 11-16-15, 01:20 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rain sensing wipers on my 2010 BMW worked better than the ones on my RX at getting the right frequency response, in my opinion. Of course the BMW ones stopped working at about 90,000 miles... so there's that.
Old 11-16-15, 03:16 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
^^ I do the same thing..

Personally I don't like rain sensing wipers and prefer the old fashion intermittent wipers. Raining wipers in my experience, regardless of vehicle brand never seem to work right.

same here.
I hate the rain sensing wipers on my Land Cruiser.
I'm sure it's the same on machinery on the RX.
it's so unpredictable.. so I end up using the next ( continuous mode) option
Old 11-18-15, 07:56 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
^^ I do the same thing..

Personally I don't like rain sensing wipers and prefer the old fashion intermittent wipers. Rain sensing wipers in my experience, regardless of vehicle brand never seem to work right.
Me three.
Old 11-19-15, 12:33 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Auto WW are not working either; initially I thought it wasn't working and chalked it up to user error. However, my wife noticed the same thing, since I have warranty I will make an appointment and I will provide an update

Quick Reply: Auto Sensing WW's