RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2 Years with my RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 09:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Indeed, the side swinging door is probably my least favorite part of the GX.
Old 11-04-15, 09:30 AM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
Indeed, the side swinging door is probably my least favorite part of the GX.
I wonder why Lexus decided to do this. Plenty of large SUVs have liftgates (e.g. Mercedes GL, Range Rover, Escalade, etc.).
Old 11-04-15, 10:50 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry82
I wonder why Lexus decided to do this. Plenty of large SUVs have liftgates (e.g. Mercedes GL, Range Rover, Escalade, etc.).
LX does as well. However, unlike the RX, those are 2-piece liftgates.
And, in a typical Toyota fashion (RHD), the rear door on the GX opens the wrong way, into the traffic instead of away from it.
Old 11-04-15, 11:05 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
LX does as well. However, unlike the RX, those are 2-piece liftgates.
And, in a typical Toyota fashion (RHD), the rear door on the GX opens the wrong way, into the traffic instead of away from it.
If the GX had the two piece lift gate like the LX I may have been able to sell my wife on it because she prefers the two piece gate over the side door on the GX. However I'm sure loading & unloading packages with the two piece lift gate would have been more difficult for her with lower door getting in the way.
Old 11-04-15, 11:13 AM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT4
If the GX had the two piece lift gate like the LX I may have been able to sell my wife on it because she prefers the two piece gate over the side door on the GX. However I'm sure loading & unloading packages with the two piece lift gate would have been more difficult for her with lower door getting in the way.
The lower gate can serve as a baby changing platform with the upper gate as shade. #wishtheRXhadit
Old 11-04-15, 12:24 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The RX door opening overhead is annoying in low garages. I would probably prefer a side opening just because it has been a pain for me in multiple locations.
Old 11-04-15, 12:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ I think each style of door has its pluses and negatives. I am fortunate that, despite having a fairly low garage height (especially with the garage door up/open), my RX hatch can still open all the way without interference - there's about an inch of room left! I also like that it provides some cover from the rain while loading/unloading in the elements.

Because a GX is taller than an RX, I am not sure if I would have the same clearance if the GX had the same style. However, given the added length of the GX, I am not sure I will be able to have the room behind it in the garage to facilitate loading/unloading with the garage door down/closed, as I do now with the RX.

On a side note, while I still wait for my RX to be fixed, I am in a loaner Explorer. I was quite impressed with it at first, but now the more time I spend with it, the more I hate it. It has the foot sensor under the rear bumper for hands free opening/closing of the liftgate. Sounds great and all, but multiple times while loading things into the back, my feet are close enough that it trips the sensor and the gate closes on my head. Not cool...
Old 11-04-15, 12:51 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Leap
The RX door opening overhead is annoying in low garages. I would probably prefer a side opening just because it has been a pain for me in multiple locations.
My experience with the liftgate on the RX has been nothing, but positive. The RX fits perfectly into our garage and liftgate is just high enough not to hit anything. That's one thing I'm worried about with the GX, if I was to buy one, that it is too big and the rear door will not clear the garage door when parked. Never mind the fact that it will block the access to trunk when opened.
Old 11-04-15, 01:38 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I felt the same way about my 2004RX. After 10 years, I chose another RX. The RX is a very comfortable refined car. Sure, it is not without some areas I'd like improved. I would love to see a better back-up camera/display as the image it produces is marginal at best in some lighting. The guide lines would also be appreciated. I'm not really happy with the tires I have, Dunlop Grandtrek's either but I hated my 2004 Goodyears too. Once I replaced them with Bridgestone Alenza's I was really pleased.

The fit and finish is great. Ride quality is top-notch. Reliability... exceptional. Another strong point for me was my dealership. I loved the service I got. Any issue I had was professionally and expediently handled to my satisfaction. I always received a loaner of like kind when service was due. They followed up to insure my complete satisfaction. I had purchased 20 new cars in my life so far and the buying and/or owning experience was usually distasteful. I had a great experience with my two Lexus purchases. I was treated like a valued customer at all times and the dealership owners actually went out of their way to make me a repeat customer.

My next car will likely carry a Lexus badge.
Old 11-05-15, 05:28 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry82
The lower gate can serve as a baby changing platform with the upper gate as shade. #wishtheRXhadit
Never thought of that.. However, in my case at this stage of my life my three "babies" are 22, 18 & 15.. So it would look just a little strange trying to change one of my sons on the lower gate..LOL

But I do get what you're saying..
Old 11-05-15, 08:18 AM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT4
Never thought of that.. However, in my case at this stage of my life my three "babies" are 22, 18 & 15.. So it would look just a little strange trying to change one of my sons on the lower gate..LOL
lol... I suppose some may find that a little strange