RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Low Fuel" FYI

Old 10-26-15, 07:27 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Low Fuel" FYI

Not sure if this has been discussed, over the weekend we had a surprise get together planned with another couple specific time and place. When we left the house I noticed the "Low Fuel" warning on the dash.
A quick mental calculation told me that 1 we wouldn’t have time to get fuel and still make it a surprise, 2 we most likely could make our destination (barely).
About 8 miles from our destination...with the fuel level indicator pegging E the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Traction control icon, check engine icon an upside down yield sign with an exclamation point, and naturally the low fuel icon. The "Low Fuel" warning was now alternating with the "Check AWD System" warning.
Thankfully we made our destination, and I immediately filled with fuel after dinner, and expected the warnings to reset. They remained active that evening and about 45 miles worth of driving. I decided to disconnect the battery terminals the next day for a couple of hours and hopefully it would reset. Went out the next day and everything had reset on its own.
Moral of the story when it says Low Fuel...fill up. I guess the Lexus engineers decided that the multiple warnings would get your attention.
They DID
Old 10-26-15, 07:42 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

weird. ive gone about 20 miles with the low fuel and light on and havent had any other lights come on. wonder if its happened to anyone else
Old 10-26-15, 07:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I've learned from a Prius to take the low fuel warning seriously, which performed a soft shutdown of the gasoline engine on the freeway when it decided that enough warning had been issued. After being pushed to the gas station, I was a little peeved that there was at least a gallon still remaining in the tank.
Old 10-26-15, 01:37 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe once the icon "Low Fuel" goes off you still have about 50 miles driving. One evening I was dropping my friend off at Long a island train station and right as I pulled out from there I got a sign that I have low fuel, I successfully made it to Brooklyn with it light up, which is about 25-30 miles away. It's not good to drive with low fuel since there might be bad **** and potentially clog with engine if you do it often, but still you get plenty of miles once it goes off.
Old 10-27-15, 05:50 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010morx
Not sure if this has been discussed, over the weekend we had a surprise get together planned with another couple specific time and place. When we left the house I noticed the "Low Fuel" warning on the dash.
A quick mental calculation told me that 1 we wouldn’t have time to get fuel and still make it a surprise, 2 we most likely could make our destination (barely).
About 8 miles from our destination...with the fuel level indicator pegging E the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Traction control icon, check engine icon an upside down yield sign with an exclamation point, and naturally the low fuel icon. The "Low Fuel" warning was now alternating with the "Check AWD System" warning.
Thankfully we made our destination, and I immediately filled with fuel after dinner, and expected the warnings to reset. They remained active that evening and about 45 miles worth of driving. I decided to disconnect the battery terminals the next day for a couple of hours and hopefully it would reset. Went out the next day and everything had reset on its own.
Moral of the story when it says Low Fuel...fill up. I guess the Lexus engineers decided that the multiple warnings would get your attention.
They DID
I suspect the other indicators had nothing to do with the low fuel level. Sounds like an electrical issue that was purely coincidence. There's no technical reason why any of the things you described would be connected to the fuel level. Was the car running fine otherwise?
Old 10-27-15, 09:06 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Car was running perfectly. Never had any other indications (idiot lights) ever before. Indicators reset by themselves the next day, haven't seen any since.
Old 10-27-15, 10:12 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010morx
Car was running perfectly. Never had any other indications (idiot lights) ever before. Indicators reset by themselves the next day, haven't seen any since.
Still, it looks like a coincidence.
Why would any manufacturer do such a scary thing? Someone on highway could get into accident because of it.
Old 10-27-15, 11:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

sounds a little bizarre to me...although when the check engine light comes on, a lot of those other lights come on with it.
Old 10-27-15, 11:39 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

It made you pay attention.
Old 10-27-15, 11:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

One time our RX got down to 1.5 gallons remaining. That's the only time we let it get anywhere near that low, but when we did, we only had a fuel light. No other warning lights came on.
Old 10-27-15, 01:03 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

On my 2004 RX 330 many times I pulled to gas station with zero range on display never had any warnings other than "low fuel".
Old 10-27-15, 01:09 PM
2010morx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It made you pay attention.
Thats for sure!
What makes it so strange is it reset itself???
I didn't have to disconnect the battery. Will keep an eye open for future warnings. Will post if I can find out why all the other warnings became active.
Old 10-28-15, 07:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

personally i do not like to go below a 1/4 of a tank. reason is it can suck up dirt sediment that dwells on the bottom. same thing happens when you let an oil furnace go too low in the tank.
Old 10-28-15, 07:30 AM
AliAlasmar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with mkeeny
Its electrical issue
It happened with me a while ago but not with my RX, while I was charging my phone using a cheep phone charger.
Old 10-28-15, 09:38 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
personally i do not like to go below a 1/4 of a tank. reason is it can suck up dirt sediment that dwells on the bottom. same thing happens when you let an oil furnace go too low in the tank.
Fuel pump is located at the lowest point of the tank, it sucks up everything from the bottom anyway. In addition fuel constantly circulates it flows to fuel injectors and returns back to the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Low Fuel" FYI