RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote FOB Start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 05:53 AM
Hondoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote FOB Start problem

Hi All,

I have a 2012 RX350 with about 25k miles. Remote FOB will not start the car. Strange problem that I cannot find anywhere. The batteries were replaced in both FOBs because they were showing 2.6v. Still will not start.

Pressing LOCK, LOCK, HOLD LOCK you can hear the click of the doors locking but the flashers do not flash. After holding lock for the 3 seconds the flashers will flash 4 times, then nothing. All other functions of the fob work correctly.

I'm Lost. Any ideas? I was thinking about removing the car battery for awhile (kind or a reboot, maybe) before bringing to dealer (110 miles away)

Thanks
Old 10-12-15, 09:07 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hondoo, sorry you're having problems with remote start. Your sequence sounds about right. There should be a thin manual in with the others. Also a small sticker under the hood by the latch to indicate RES is installed. I had a problem remote starting when the temps dipped below 10 degrees. The RXh would flash and start after doing a lock, lock, lock, hold lock. But then it gave me an additional flash a few seconds later before turning off. The ECU had to be replaced. But it only affected 2010 450hs. You can read more about it here.. Disconnecting the battery is worth a shot. Otherwise you may need to visit the dealer. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 10-12-15, 10:24 PM
Hondoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Hondoo, sorry you're having problems with remote start. Your sequence sounds about right. There should be a thin manual in with the others. Also a small sticker under the hood by the latch to indicate RES is installed. I had a problem remote starting when the temps dipped below 10 degrees. The RXh would flash and start after doing a lock, lock, lock, hold lock. But then it gave me an additional flash a few seconds later before turning off. The ECU had to be replaced. But it only affected 2010 450hs. You can read more about it here.. Disconnecting the battery is worth a shot. Otherwise you may need to visit the dealer. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Kilts. Thanks for the reply. Kind is suprised the technicians didn't freeze spray your ECU to duplicate the problem. But, they were probably not interested in duplicating problem and was just easier to have you wait, and then be told to replace ECU by management.

My Lexus was bought new at Watertown Lexus in Mass. It was a December I remember so I'm sure it has RES.

I was just hoping I could get the error codes of what the flashes mean. Would suck to drive 100s of miles to find a piece of gum stuck in the lock mechanism or something stupid like that.

I will try to reset ECU and keep forum posted.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-15, 05:41 PM
Hondoo
Driver School Candidate

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Called Lexus of Watertown, MA (Will buy there again) and told them I think the 4 flashes must be an error code. They called me back in 30 minutes after talking with the technician. The 4 flashing lights mean a door did not lock. After wife got home checked and found the back passenger door would not lock/unlock. It would manually lock but pressing and electronic button would not physically move the lock lever.

Manually locking the door allowed the car to remote start again.. Flipped the inside door open lever a few times and the door started locking/unlocking again.

So.. If 4 flashes check all doors for lock/unlock function from the driver panel/passenger panel or remote.

Symptoms were:
  • clicking remote lock/unlock, no flasher.
    - and -
  • Going through the remote start function procedure the hazards flash 4 times.
Old 10-13-15, 06:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That's great news. No doubt you'll help someone else with the same problem Thanks for keeping us updated. Appreciate it!