RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 07:01 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it but now that google maps/waze has better traffic and police reports, i stop using it. Mine is 2010, its so outdated now... no way im paying for upgrade when google gives you free maps
Old 10-16-15, 05:19 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an appointment this morning to update my maps for $199 and I cancelled the appointment. I have a ProClip mount right in the center of the console for my iPhone and I find Google or Apples Maps to be a better solution and its free. It updates the route depending on traffic. The onboard GPS does not. Now I need to figure out how to spend the $200 I am saving.
Old 11-06-15, 08:41 AM
FLASH98SC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Worth It

For the price Lexus Nav in my 2015 RX350 SUCKS. First long trip to unknown first time destination took 4 1/2 hours. Told friends on arrival they said NO WAY. Used Google maps on my phone for return trip and took only 3 hrs 15 mins. Even around town I use it when I know where I'm going...its wrong 20% of the time. I complained to LEXUS and after they checked it out for proper operation their answer was we no its bad but that's the way it is they have NO FIX. I ALWAYS CHECK GOOGLE MAPS FIRST before taking off for unknown destination..
Old 11-06-15, 10:00 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLASH98SC3
...ALWAYS CHECK GOOGLE MAPS FIRST before taking off for unknown destination..
I'd go a bit further and say review printed maps prior to a long trip, especially into unfamiliar territory. We always order the AAA maps for at least the states we are going to/through and review the route prior to starting the trip and then again each evening or morning for the next day travel. Whoever isn't driving has the paper map handy and is checking it as we go along. I usually have Google Maps running on my phone also. Sometimes we see a way that looks more interesting rather than the suggested route.
Old 11-06-15, 12:56 PM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom558
I'd go a bit further and say review printed maps prior to a long trip, especially into unfamiliar territory. We always order the AAA maps for at least the states we are going to/through and review the route prior to starting the trip and then again each evening or morning for the next day travel. Whoever isn't driving has the paper map handy and is checking it as we go along. I usually have Google Maps running on my phone also. Sometimes we see a way that looks more interesting rather than the suggested route.
Awesome road trip advice... if only there was an option in Google Maps/Waze for "scenic route"
Old 11-09-15, 09:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FLASH98SC3
For the price Lexus Nav in my 2015 RX350 SUCKS. First long trip to unknown first time destination took 4 1/2 hours. Told friends on arrival they said NO WAY. Used Google maps on my phone for return trip and took only 3 hrs 15 mins. Even around town I use it when I know where I'm going...its wrong 20% of the time. I complained to LEXUS and after they checked it out for proper operation their answer was we no its bad but that's the way it is they have NO FIX. I ALWAYS CHECK GOOGLE MAPS FIRST before taking off for unknown destination..
wow? glad i saved myself the $1,100.00 they wanted for it!
Old 11-11-15, 06:10 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I like it. It has faults - like:
a) It's not as up-to-date as Google on my phone
b) Well, nothing really jumps to mind, so let me tout some of it's strengths

Strengths:
a) it updates immediately upon recognizing that I'm ignoring (or have missed) the turn suggested
b) I can easily switch from "North Up" to "Direction that I'm going Up"
c) If I miss the instruction, I can have her repeat it as many times as I wish to push the button
d) Speaking of button, it's right there at my fingertip (no shoulder pain reaching for the Garmin)
e) Zooming in/out is easy and quick - and is right at my fingertip
f) I can slide the screen/map and point to another location - or a place down the road - and it will tell me how far that point is from me now
g) The screen is always readable (I have the 2013 with the sunken in-dash glare-free version)
h) The maps don't require me to have a cellular signal (like Google on my iPhone)
I) The Sirius Nav function will alert me to road hazards when I'm near a large city - and will offer to redirect me around the hazard
j) I can sit watching TV and load destinations on my iPad/iPhone and have them synchronized to the car when I get in the car next
k) I can look up a location using the Destination Search in Lexus Enform - either while driving, or at any location where I'm using my iPhone/iPad - and then select it as a destination in Navigation
l) I pre-programmed it to show me where all Police Departments are located along my route, as well as Starbucks coffee shops, Rest Areas, and/or myriad selections available in the map software
m) I can look at gasoline prices while on the route - and easily add the stop at the best priced location to the route.
n) Etc

O.K. it's expensive - so was the car's $58,000 sticker price, and the requirement to use Premium fuel, and service costs way too much at my Lexus dealer -- but if I wanted an inexpensive car, I'm sure I could have found one.

Between the onboard Navigation for directions, Waze for real-time traffic alerts, and Valentine One alerting me to the direction from which the RADAR and/or Laser is being pointed my way - I'm a ready Road Warrior.

Last edited by NateJG; 11-11-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 09:47 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree. I wouldn't have another car without Nav. Is the in-dash version "better?" It may not be as up-to-date as google maps, but it is far less distracting and easier to view IMHO. It is a bit subjective and depends a great deal on the factors that are important to each of us. Some people criticize the Lexus Nav, but it works just fine for my wife and I, well enough that I won't buy another car without it.
Old 11-13-15, 01:46 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess too late to advise the OP To include update as part of deal. I bought mine used and didn't think about it then. I think when I checked with my dealer, advisor said look at the new models first to see if it is worth C$400 to me. I will buy a new Garmin LMT before going on a long road trip.
Old 11-13-15, 01:50 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I made the same mistake (not asking for it to be "current"), as I bought my 2013 in October 2013 - and in January 2014 paid a bunch to have the June or July 2013 update.

I made the mistake of thinking that the "latest" software and other "stuph" would be included in the delivery/set-up charge.

Silly me.
Old 11-18-15, 09:17 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
For me it's a no brainier. I need back up camera. As far as navigation Google Map is the king.
And you can get the option of the back up image in the rearview mirror for $300 instead of Nav for $2k+.

I haven't had Nav, and my phone works just fine. So my answer is clearly No, it's not worth it.
Old 11-19-15, 06:49 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes because not all places have cellphone coverage
Old 11-19-15, 07:28 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
And you can get the option of the back up image in the rearview mirror for $300 instead of Nav for $2k+.

I haven't had Nav, and my phone works just fine. So my answer is clearly No, it's not worth it.
I bought my RX 2013 used, and have the rear view camera screen in the mirror. Similar cars with NAV (and some other bells ind whistles related to the big screen) were about $1500-2000 more. Decided to save some money and don't regret it. Don't need NAV for daily commuting and if I need it, Garmin with lifetime maps update always waiting and a phone always in the pocket.
Old 11-28-15, 06:04 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

After we had our 2010 RX350 updated being 3-4 versions old as best I could tell, the Nav system works very well. On a 2400 mile vacation trip this summer the mapping did not let us down. I had to learn to trust its directions as it was correct. With the lowest cost ENFORM I like the feature of loading trips on my computer through Lexus Drivers and down loading them to the car. That worked good for our vacation planning.
Old 11-28-15, 08:09 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

To me it is worth it.

However, it is not a necessity when there are so many other non-OEM navigation options available like Tom-Tom or smart phones.

I personally just like being able to just plug in a route using the large in-dash navigation screen and having the turn by turn play through the car speakers.

Quick Reply: Navigation Worth It?