RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 Exhaust in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 08:44 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Jason - I am so sorry this is happening to you. You have the patience of Job. I hope you emerge victorious soon. When I read that the SA said he'd never heard anyone complain of your problem, I knew it was a lie. That line is always a lie, in my experience, in or out of the car business.
Old 01-31-16, 07:08 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe that smell your are describing is Hydrogen Sulfide. It occurs in the cat when too rich a fuel/air mixture is occurring and the excess unburned fuel which contains some sulfur, is dumped into the cat to clean the exhaust. When the cat is unable to handle the volume it cannot render the sulfur into sulfur dioxide which is odorless. The result is hydrogen sulfide. If you google hydrogen sulfide you will indeed find that it is unhealthy. If your cat is continually producing this smell it will ultimately fail completely and block much of the exhaust system. Cats are very expensive things to replace. If you google health effects of Hydrogen Sulfide you will be concerned for you and your family's health. I don't know the level of this gas in the cabin but I don't think I'd like the idea of breathing it regularly.

I'd print out a few of the pages that discuss Hydrogen Sulfide health effects and perhaps some of the info in the links below and mail them to the dealership and to Lexus corporate. I'd express my concern regarding health and potential costly repairs down the road. IME, that odor is not a big issue if it only occurs occasionally under hard driving but if you get it routinely while cruising down the highway that is not normal.

There may be another source for this smell and that could be your battery. If a battery overheats it produces a similar odor. Usually you can spot this issue by checking the water level in the cells.

Some links, if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-...ke-rotten-eggs
http://www.delphifaq.com/faq/f1188.shtml
http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/c...diagnosisId=78
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-mainte...e-problem-lies

As I previously mentioned, I had this issue in my 2004 RX330 and there was a TSIB issued that corrected the problem. I'm not sure what that TSIB replaced or how the odor was eliminated but maybe there is some clue to a repair in the actual TSIB document that might help you.

Sometimes, dealing with difficult problems like this and with people unwilling to dig in and fix it can be really frustrating. Keep at it.
Old 02-01-16, 09:06 AM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust in Cabin

Thank you everyone for your posts and to say the least it has been a very frustrating experience. I don't appreciate dealer folks telling me things that aren't true but as a consumer we have to question things and speak up when they are not right.I understand the dealer did not build the car but they were sure attentive when they wanted to take my money and sell it to me and charge a dealer fee on top of that!!
My advise at this point is to do all communication with your dealer via emails and make a folder and save them. Even if they respond to your email with a telephone call, send them an email summarizing your phone conversation. I am glad I did this from the beginning because nobody can say they never knew about it, or you did not communicate it. My dealer actually had done some repairs, (change out a cabin filter and send a tech for a ride with me) and never provided a work order for me. I entered this in my email page with dates and notated no work order was created.
I will take some of those articles about Hydrogen Sulfide and include them in my list to the arbitrator and Thank You for that. Will keep you posted!
Old 02-01-16, 09:13 AM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raylor4
Jason - I am so sorry this is happening to you. You have the patience of Job. I hope you emerge victorious soon. When I read that the SA said he'd never heard anyone complain of your problem, I knew it was a lie. That line is always a lie, in my experience, in or out of the car business.
Thanks for your words of confidence. I questioned my SA's work background he confirmed he was a GM Pontiac service manager for many years. I smiled...looks like he brought his previous management training techniques to Lexus.
Old 02-01-16, 09:23 AM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
Any update one this I am having the exact same issue. I have a 2010 RX450h. Same exact issue with the rotten egg smell. I posted earlier in the hybrid RX section thinking it may just be a hybrid issue. I bought this vehicle a 62k a little under a year ago and it happen then, and now at 82k it is still happening. I have tried the difference gas, and I only go to Top Tier Gas stations. My car only take premium and this is still an issue. I hope someone may have more information on this!

Hi John I posted a reply on my initial posting
Old 02-01-16, 12:28 PM
LouSeattle
Driver School Candidate

Jason,
Thanks for posting your "adventure". I've owned my '13 RX 350 for 1 month and I have experienced that smell 3 times now. Hope my 1st visit to the dealer will yield some answers...
Old 02-01-16, 02:03 PM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Default exhaust in cabin

Originally Posted by LouSeattle
Jason,
Thanks for posting your "adventure". I've owned my '13 RX 350 for 1 month and I have experienced that smell 3 times now. Hope my 1st visit to the dealer will yield some answers...

Sorry to hear you have this same problem. Document everything and lets see what your dealer says. Good Luck!
Old 02-26-16, 05:28 PM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Well I had my arbitration hearing for my exhaust in the cabin problem with my RX 350. Had the hearing, Lexus rep showed and 3 arbitrators. Bottom line, Lexus tech admitted problem and that he test rode my car and experienced these problems. Arbitrators went for a ride in my car and experienced the same problems of exhaust entering while accelerating on highway. Got the decision today and they said it was an acceptable problem and denied the claim. Disappointed in their decision but never expected a fair hearing as Lexus pays for these arbitrators to go through the process.
So for anybody that has a problem with their new or CPO Lexus remember that Lexus has a very quiet Buy Back program. If the dealer cannot fix in 3 visits, contact Lexus Customer service and request a vehicle buyback from Lexus. If you win they pay you what you paid for the car. You lose then go seek a legal remedy.
Old 06-03-16, 09:16 AM
ladozfa
Driver School Candidate

Jason, thump up for following this to the end. standing up for what is right....... You inspire.
Old 06-03-16, 09:31 AM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Default Exhaust in cabin

Thanks for the vote of confidence, My advice for anyone purchasing a CPO from Lexus is to ask to take the car for the weekend before you make the purchase and drive the heck out of it. Drive it hard and see how it performs as most of these problems do not show themselves after a car has been refreshed, deodorized and cosmetically made to look like new. Any problems make sure they are addressed before you make the purchase and if something does not seem right, walk away!!
Old 07-25-16, 11:50 AM
Barb12
Driver School Candidate

Jasonfl,
Any news on solving the exhaust air problem? I think I have the same problem with my 2001 300ES. I haven't been to the dealer yet. And no one there who I've talked to over the phone says they're aware of this problem. Like you, I'm convinced I'm not the first or only customer with this problem. My car is making me very sick on long drives, even less than an hour or so. I'll have to sell the car if I can't fix it. Btw, lemon law statutes vary greatly by state. For instance, Louisiana has a very strong lemon law/redhibition statute. Be sure to check Florida law. My guess is that the state statute takes precedent over whatever Lexus or the dealer says.
Old 07-25-16, 01:47 PM
Jasonfl
Driver School Candidate

Default Exhaust in Cabin

Hi Barbara,
Lexus admitted there was a problem with my car and told me it was the fuel I was using. Tried many different brands and octanes although the manual recommends 87 octane and no luck. My health was more important at this point as I do not appreciate inhaling exhaust while I drive. I got rid of the RX and found another one and purchased it. I drove this one for 50 miles and it does not have the problem, then I bought it.
Lexus will not do anything for you. As they paid for the arbitration hearing naturally the decision went against me even though their own Lexus service rep refused to ride in the car for the hearing because as he said, he drove my car when it was at the dealer and experienced the problem first hand!! So much for the Lexus warranties. I experienced first hand the "lexus experience as their ads say, and it was not a pleasant one.
My advice dump it while it has value and find something else as the cards are stacked against you for getting any help. Your health is worth more than the battle.
Old 07-26-16, 11:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Barb12 - It appears your vehicle is 15 years old. How many miles? You are way beyond any warranty or lemon law coverage in any state. Due to the age and unknown mileage, it could have rust or multiple failing components, including a worn out motor or leaking exhaust or air pollution related parts, that could be the source of your exhaust problem. The engine in that vehicle was well known for having sludge issues due to a poor crankcase vent system, I am surprised it is still running.
All may cost more than a 15 year old car would be worth. It probably is time to trade it in for a newer model.
Old 07-27-16, 09:21 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Exhaust gasses are getting into the passenger compartment whether you smell them or not.
I would plave a CO detector in the vehicle. One that displays ppm would be nice!

Can you place an extension on the exhaust pipe which may redirect the exhaust flow so that none comes into the vehicle?

If you place air on OUTside and blow in, will that create a positive cabin pressure preventing exhaust-laden air from coming in?
Old 07-28-16, 08:11 AM
Barb12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, all. I've decided to spend my time, energy and money on finding a better used Lexus. I appreciate everyone's feedback very much. --Lexus lady in BR