RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX Headlight Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 12:13 PM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX Headlight Condensation

I am new to the forum and the owner of a 2010 Lexus RX350 purchased with the extended warranty.

Recently discovered condensation in my front passenger headlight. The Lexus dealership initially scheduled me for a repair and indicated that my Platinum extended warranty would cover it. However, later received a call and indicated that it would not.

Any suggestions? I see that a class-action lawsuit was filed for a similar issue with the 2nd generation (2004 to 2009) Rx series and recalls were eventually sent out.

I do not want the condensation to progress and short circuit my headlamp.
Old 09-26-15, 05:29 PM
nelsonsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, condensation in sealed headlights is normal. If it doesn't clear up on its own, it is typically the drains are plugged or disconnected. As far as your coverage:

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/w..._eBrochure.pdf

These Items are excluded:

Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim; Filters; Fluids; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim and Moldings (including but not limited to: Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents); Lamps, Light Assemblies/Housings, and Lightbulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber component); All interior and exterior cloth, leather, and stitching including convertible tops and/or vinyl tops including but not limited to: any vibration, deterioration, discoloration, disfigurement, warping, fading, staining, stretching, ripping, punctures, tearing, and/or scratches
Old 09-27-15, 05:57 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the response. It is more than mild condensation (as seen in my driver side headlight). Innumerable droplets of water have accumulated. I will try to post a picture later.

Has anyone else with a 3rd generation Rx-350 had the same issue?
Old 09-27-15, 08:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

VG7, I'm sorry to hear about the condensation problem you're having with your driver side headlight. Unfortunately you're the first that I know of. Maybe give Lexus Corporate a call or post in the Lexus Corporate Forum here. They might not be covered under the platinum warranty but I had both headlights replaced on my '04 RX long before Lexus started to. And they were HIDs with AFS, not exactly cheap. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 09-27-15, 08:59 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the great suggestion kitlz. I will contact them and keep you all updated.

If anyone in fact has had a similar issue (specifically with the 3rd generation), please share.
Old 09-27-15, 11:30 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

Intact driver's side headlight for comparison.

Passenger side headlight with condensation and affecting projection of light.

Closeup of passenger side headlight with moisture.

Again, intact driver's side headlight for comparison.
Old 09-27-15, 07:18 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I also had this happen on our 04. It was several years past warranty with only 20k miles on the odo and they made me a deal to cover it at their cost, with no labor. I thought it was a generous thing for Lexus to do and left happy, but to hear there was a class action lawsuit on it makes it seem somewhat less "generous".

Anyway, no problem on our 13 but then it only has about 4700 miles on it, so it isn't a very good barometer of typical wear. It does sound like Lexus has a history with this issue however.
Old 09-28-15, 02:38 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry for your situation but think that getting the repairs at cost is still great.

I wasn't part of the 2nd generation recall. But when searching for others with similar problems to my own, I came across this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html
Old 09-28-15, 02:42 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

As a side note, I have 24K miles on my vehicle.
Old 09-28-15, 06:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

You can often find used headlight assemblies on eBay. Make sure it is the exact same type as yours.
Old 09-28-15, 03:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

VG7, that condensation is pretty bad. So sorry to see. Did you happen to get in touch with Lexus Corporate?
Old 09-28-15, 05:46 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

You could try using a hair dryer to eliminate the condensation. I had a wrist watch that I used hair dryer on and worked good. Nevertheless, you definitely have a seal leak in the headlight assembly.

novaman
Old 09-29-15, 07:09 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
VG7, that condensation is pretty bad. So sorry to see. Did you happen to get in touch with Lexus Corporate?
I tried to submit a post on the corporate forum but it has not been approved and visible on the forum yet.

I will try to call them when time permits.

Thank you again for your help!
Old 09-29-15, 07:10 AM
VG7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by novaman
You could try using a hair dryer to eliminate the condensation. I had a wrist watch that I used hair dryer on and worked good. Nevertheless, you definitely have a seal leak in the headlight assembly.

novaman

Thank you novaman for the suggestion. I would prefer to have the housing replaced to prevent the situation from happening again.
Old 04-07-16, 08:04 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Quick Reply: 2010 RX Headlight Condensation