RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

buying aftermarket navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 10:09 AM
AliAlasmar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default buying aftermarket navigation system

Hello there
I'm new in Club Lexus
I'm from Jeddah , Saudi Arabia very far from where most of you live, lol
anyway, I'v bought a standerd new RX-350 2015, with no navigation nor rearview camera , just a disply screen.

My dash board

My display unit

I thought i would have more choice and option to buy aftermarket navigation and rear view camera . But I'v been looking arround and all I have found is 2 brands :
1. Flyaudio unit http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=227&xid=3

2. RoadRover unit
http://www.road-rover.com/lexus-gps-...igation-system

Is there more ? And if not , Which one should I chose ?

Thank you,
Ali

Last edited by AliAlasmar; 09-26-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 06:54 PM
cynalan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why buy a NAVI system. Smartphones have phenomenal apps. For example, I just discovered WAZE. It is as good as my OEM NAVI and provides real time traffic updates and detours. It also connects to the audio system via Bluetooth. Much better than the Garmin that I had pre-RX350 days.
Old 09-28-15, 06:37 AM
AliAlasmar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cynalan
Why buy a NAVI system. Smartphones have phenomenal apps. For example, I just discovered WAZE. It is as good as my OEM NAVI and provides real time traffic updates and detours. It also connects to the audio system via Bluetooth. Much better than the Garmin that I had pre-RX350 days.
So true , but for my self what I need is not navigation actually , I need a multimedia colored screen with a rearview camera to enjoy my ride , I'm happy using google map in my phone to navigate maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Thank you for replying
Old 09-29-15, 06:34 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cynalan
Very true. In addition to what you said Waze is also great in alerting you to speed traps and police on the road in general.
Old 09-29-15, 08:01 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AliAlasmar
Hello there
I'm new in Club Lexus
I'm from Jeddah , Saudi Arabia very far from where most of you live, lol
anyway, I'v bought a standerd new RX-350 2015, with no navigation nor rearview camera , just a disply screen.

My dash board

My display unit

I thought i would have more choice and option to buy aftermarket navigation and rear view camera . But I'v been looking arround and all I have found is 2 brands :
1. Flyaudio unit http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=227&xid=3

2. RoadRover unit
http://www.road-rover.com/lexus-gps-...igation-system

Is there more ? And if not , Which one should I chose ?

Thank you,
Ali
As others said, why buy navigation unit. Smartphones outperform the aftermarket units.

From experience I would avoid these aftermarket navigation units. I bought a Flyaudio unit when I had my IS250 and it only lasted one year. I had tons of problems with it.
Old 09-30-15, 12:35 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you should attack this as a 2-part problem.
Backup camera is easily resolved. In fact, that's how Lexus added reverse cameras to Non-Nav RXs back in the day:
Rearview Mirror with LCD display

Integrating a Nav system becomes tricky. You can use a handheld device, which will work great. But putting something in place of the "calculator" screen you have for the climate control, is not easy. You'll need to relocate this screen somewhere.

Some Chinese mfgs with photo-shopped images claim their units will replace OEM headunit and will operate the climate control. I'm yet to see these in action.
Old 09-30-15, 12:42 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NimaM
As others said, why buy navigation unit. Smartphones outperform the aftermarket units...
Up until a few days ago, I'd make the same claim. In fact, to the salesperson's big surprise, I mounted my good ol' TomTom on the windshield of our brand new RX when I was picking it up in Philly. Told him the OEM Nav wasn't any good.

However, the Germans figured this out! I just got an Audi with an outdated Technology package. It was under an incentive, so I did spring for it. I can either run internal 3D maps or use Google Earth through a subscribed sim card. Yes, my factory navigation uses the same tech as your cell phones! How about them apples?
Old 09-30-15, 03:29 PM
AliAlasmar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT4
Very true. In addition to what you said Waze is also great in alerting you to speed traps and police on the road in general.
I just installed Waze , looks social map for me, looks great but I we just 3 people have it in my city , lool

Old 09-30-15, 03:49 PM
AliAlasmar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I think you should attack this as a 2-part problem.
Backup camera is easily resolved. In fact, that's how Lexus added reverse cameras to Non-Nav RXs back in the day:
Rearview Mirror with LCD display

Integrating a Nav system becomes tricky. You can use a handheld device, which will work great. But putting something in place of the "calculator" screen you have for the climate control, is not easy. You'll need to relocate this screen somewhere.

Some Chinese mfgs with photo-shopped images claim their units will replace OEM headunit and will operate the climate control. I'm yet to see these in action.
I'm considering now the rearview mirror with LCD screen for back up camera.
Thank you for sharing the link