RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 Push button start - Key lost somewhere inside the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 08:24 PM
Blitzkreig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX 350 Push button start - Key lost somewhere inside the car

I am very puzzled with my new 2015 Lexus RX 350 , I parked my car at the gas station and suddenly noticed that I dont have my key on me and couldnt find it inside the car anywhere. I thought I dropped it somewhere outside but to my surprise when I tried starting my car it started fine assuming the key was some where close by.

I tried stepping out and to lock the car and got a message the key is inside the vehicle so car wont lock. I was able to start the car and drive it home about an hour drive car never complained about key not detected message. I called the dealership and they told me car will keep running if you drop the key outside while the car is running but after 15 mins of driving it will give a message key not detected.

I am locking the car now using the second remote but its risky to have the car in such a condition as any one can drive it away if they open the lock somehow. I have looked every where under the seat, in between the centre console and seat, under the seats key no where to be found. Could it be possible that key was dropped outside and the car is malfunctioning that its allowing me to start it and drive it without complaining.
Old 09-14-15, 10:57 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Could it be possible that key was dropped outside and the car is malfunctioning that its allowing me to start it and drive it without complaining?

No.
Old 09-14-15, 11:17 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you also check the front passenger side gaps? Maybe it fell over onto that side. There are also those AC vents under the front seats. I think a key could fit in there.
Old 09-15-15, 03:58 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
Did you also check the front passenger side gaps? Maybe it fell over onto that side. There are also those AC vents under the front seats. I think a key could fit in there.
My guess too. I looked everywhere once for the key fob and it fell between the side bolster and center console, The only way to find it is to raise the seat position as high as it can go and move it forward as far as it will go.
Old 09-15-15, 12:21 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Blitzkreig
I called the dealership and they told me car will keep running if you drop the key outside while the car is running but after 15 mins of driving it will give a message key not detected
15?

Mine gives the message "Key not detected" immediately after I remove the key-fob from the vehicle.
Old 09-15-15, 12:26 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It has to be somewhere near the driver's seat. I would just look until you find it. Probably wedged between console and seat.
Old 09-15-15, 07:22 PM
Blitzkreig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally found the key

Hi Guys thanks for sharing all your ideas, Finally I have found my lost key Fob

Actually I was looking for it close to the front seats and center console. I tried to remember the chain of events that day and suddenly I remembered that my son had spilled the coffee on the back carpet behind drivers seat and I had stepped down from the car and asked my son to step out and I actually bent the back seat down to move it, I thought of checking the back seat and finally found the key sitting between a large gap that builds up when you bend the seat forward.

Once again thanks for reminding me to keep looking as I was convinced I dropped the key outside somewhere. I have just attached a few pics for you to see hope this doesn't happen to any one.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 RX 350 Push button start - Key lost somewhere inside the car-img_5793.jpg   2015 RX 350 Push button start - Key lost somewhere inside the car-img_5794.jpg  
Old 09-16-15, 09:50 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkreig
Hi Guys thanks for sharing all your ideas, Finally I have found my lost key Fob

Actually I was looking for it close to the front seats and center console. I tried to remember the chain of events that day and suddenly I remembered that my son had spilled the coffee on the back carpet behind drivers seat and I had stepped down from the car and asked my son to step out and I actually bent the back seat down to move it, I thought of checking the back seat and finally found the key sitting between a large gap that builds up when you bend the seat forward.

Once again thanks for reminding me to keep looking as I was convinced I dropped the key outside somewhere. I have just attached a few pics for you to see hope this doesn't happen to any one.
Surely thats not normal?!

No gap on mine when back seats fold down!
Old 09-16-15, 07:45 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Rayaans,

I don't remember what my side seats look like when folding down but I do know that my center section also has an open void when folding.