RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Parted with my F sport....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 02:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sorry the F-Sport didn't work out for you, viperdoc. Shifting was a little awkward for me when I took one for a test drive. Then again, I'm coming from the 450h where it's totally seamless. It's all weird, LOL! I wish you luck with the 35i. You're happy and that's all that matters in the end. And we know Lexus is not completely immune from problems (close ) so don't think about it too much. Come back and update us or just to visit. Door is always open. Again, good luck and enjoy.
Old 09-14-15, 09:17 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

viperdoc,

Last week I had a F-Sport RX as a loaner for a day when my 450h was getting an intermittent rear parking sensor replaced.

Within 3 blocks of pulling out of the dealership my wife asked me why I was driving so jerky. That transmission seemed to be hunting for a proper gear.

My SC430 transmissions are butter smooth as is the 450h for shifting. The RX350 F-Sport was a totally different animal. I was surprised.
Old 09-15-15, 06:18 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My 8 speed works just fine, although the paddle shifters do come in handy every now and then.
Old 09-15-15, 07:45 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
viperdoc,

Last week I had a F-Sport RX as a loaner for a day when my 450h was getting an intermittent rear parking sensor replaced.

Within 3 blocks of pulling out of the dealership my wife asked me why I was driving so jerky. That transmission seemed to be hunting for a proper gear.

My SC430 transmissions are butter smooth as is the 450h for shifting. The RX350 F-Sport was a totally different animal. I was surprised.
dont forget, with the adaptive learning. and all the different drivers, it probably doesnt know what to do :O
Old 09-15-15, 08:02 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on the new X5! I would love to get one myself only if my wallet was deep enough.
Old 09-15-15, 09:30 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
dont forget, with the adaptive learning. and all the different drivers, it probably doesnt know what to do :O
I read about the adaptive learning, and even went back to the dealer and had them refresh my ECU in an attempt to "start over" from the learning perspective. Didn't work for me.

I was hopeful that the 2016 RX would have solved some of the issues I had with mine, because I would love to come back to Lexus at some point. But from recent road test reviews, the 16 RX looks like it actually gained weight, and is now slower (8 seconds 0-60 ). And at least one reviewer wrote that the extra firmness of the F sport's suspension is probably overkill in daily driving. No mention of specific transmission issues, but my understanding is that it's the same 8 speed that was in the previous F sport. Disappointing....
Old 09-15-15, 09:35 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
This may have some validity to it. But a car this expensive should really be able to be driven smoothly no matter who is driving it. What happens if I get one when my kids are driving age and they are just learning? Are they going to completely mess up how the car shifts because they were still getting used to the feel of the gas pedal? Seems ridiculous that it would be THAT sensitive to "learning" that it makes it difficult to drive. If that is the case, remove that ability. Plus, isn't that what the different drive modes are for?
Old 09-15-15, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I was hopeful that the 2016 RX would have solved some of the issues I had with mine, because I would love to come back to Lexus at some point. But from recent road test reviews, the 16 RX looks like it actually gained weight, and is now slower (8 seconds 0-60 ). And at least one reviewer wrote that the extra firmness of the F sport's suspension is probably overkill in daily driving. No mention of specific transmission issues, but my understanding is that it's the same 8 speed that was in the previous F sport. Disappointing....
The 4RX is larger than the 3RX, and comes with more features, but only gained an average of 44 pounds.

0-60 mph estimates very, but I recall that Alex on Auto's got 6.8 out of his sample, and C&D is estimating 6.9 to 7.2 seconds. That's pretty much on par with the 3RX.

I'm not typically a fan of 8 speed transmissions, so we'll see how this one does. One potential saving grace will be Sport mode, which will give it a more aggressive throttle tip-in and shifting, so that may help.

All of the reviews that I have read have been very impressed with the F Sport ride. With the variable suspension, you'll be able to select a comfort or sport setting.

I like the pictures of your X5. We looked at them and they are pretty sharp. I hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-15-15, 11:46 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The best transmission is no transmission. That's where (Toyota) hybrids have no equals, other than pure EVs. That's one of main reasons I got the 450h. It has none of that gear nonsense, other than the "M" mode.
Old 09-15-15, 12:23 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

This may have some validity to it. But a car this expensive should really be able to be driven smoothly no matter who is driving it. What happens if I get one when my kids are driving age and they are just learning? Are they going to completely mess up how the car shifts because they were still getting used to the feel of the gas pedal? Seems ridiculous that it would be THAT sensitive to "learning" that it makes it difficult to drive. If that is the case, remove that ability. Plus, isn't that what the different drive modes are for?
well, i see your point. im just glad to finally have a decent shifting transmission. my 01 and 05 rx.... not so much.
Old 09-15-15, 01:35 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The best transmission is no transmission. That's where (Toyota) hybrids have no equals, other than pure EVs. That's one of main reasons I got the 450h. It has none of that gear nonsense, other than the "M" mode.
Yeah. I had a Nissan murano a few years ago and hated their cvt. But when I had a 450h loaner, I love it. Really moved the car with ease.

And thanks for the well wishes everyone. This is a great community, and I will certainly remain active in it.

Hopefully the reliability of the X5 will be decent, as I really love driving it. The only thing left now is to put some staggered 21 inch wheels on there with the factory fender flares something like this....
Attached Thumbnails Parted with my F sport....-2015-bmw-x5-m-sport-line.jpg  

Last edited by viperdoc; 09-15-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 01:43 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah. I had a Nissan murano a few years ago and hated their cvt. But when I had a 450h loaner, I love it. Really moved the car with ease.
Those are two very different technologies. CVT in a Murano is an actual transmission, meanwhile Toyota's PSD only technically qualifies as one. Hence very different results and feel.
Old 09-17-15, 03:35 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The only thing left now is to put some staggered 21 inch wheels on there with the factory fender flares something like this....
Be sure to come back and post pics. Would love to see it with new wheels.
Old 09-18-15, 10:31 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Be sure to come back and post pics. Would love to see it with new wheels.
I will. I'll probably wait until the spring, and slap some winter tires on the current wheels. Then get a summer set. I'll be moving back to Texas, so my summer set can be used all year round!
Old 09-20-15, 09:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

And thanks for the well wishes everyone. This is a great community, and I will certainly remain active in it.

Hopefully the reliability of the X5 will be decent, as I really love driving it. The only thing left now is to put some staggered 21 inch wheels on there with the factory fender flares something like this....
The new RX450H F-Sport is supposed to be the pick of the range. Many reviews such as Slashgear and Lexus Enthusiast have stated that the extra weight helps to make the car feel planted and its never that harsh. Of course, you can customize the AVS settings too which is good.

Quick Reply: Parted with my F sport....