RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RAV4 vs RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:25 PM
boylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAV4 vs RX 350

Hi All,

I'm having trouble deciding between a RAV4 2013 20,000 miles and a RX 350 2010 with 45,000. Size of the vehicles are fine with both. It comes down to whether or not I think a 2010 RX will be more reliable long term than a RAV4.

Is a 2010 RX too old? Should I just stick with the newer RAV4 with very miles? Will it provide a smoother ride with less repairs later?
Old 08-24-15, 08:53 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm not sure I could really answer your questions. My crystal ball is on the fritz at the moment. I would think both are likely to be reliable and 45k for a 2010 is fairly low miles. Remember, Toyota is the parent company to Lexus and has good reliability ratings as well. I wouldn't be worried about either. The ride however is much more subjective. I would expect the Lexus to have a better drive, but you would need to drive both and make that evaluation for yourself. That prediction is based merely on the shorter wheelbase of the Rav and I don't know anything about the relative spring feeling, so I can't offer an objective opinion on that comparison.
Old 08-25-15, 05:10 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with Doug. Reliability is going to likely be a toss-up since we're talking Toyota as the parent company. Each of my RX have been great performers without any significant issues. My original 1997 RAV4 which I gave to my parents back in 1999 when I purchased my first RX, is still running well as my mom's daily driver. Only thing of significance that has failed is the moonroof sliding mechanism that we need to maybe get repaired some day if someone in the family wins the lottery.

Assuming you are comfortable both vehicles have been treated well when it comes to past service history, if I were you, I'd drive each and decide based on options, colors, and how they feel to you -- and not be as concerned about a difference in reliability. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-25-15, 06:08 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're willing to spend a bit more, an NX200t might be the best of both worlds for you.
Old 08-25-15, 06:30 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are both "low mileage" vehicles. 45k on a Lexus means nothing. Just browse through the 2nd and 1st gen forums where members have 100 through 200k on their RX's. Both will be very reliable -- as its been pointed out, they're Toyota's.

I can't speak for comfort on a RAV4 and really it's subjective anyway. However, there will be clear difference in performance since the V6 is no longer offered on the RAV's beginning 2013.
Old 08-25-15, 07:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have lots of experience driving both a 2013 RX350 and a 2013 RAV4.

The RX is obviously nicer, however, the RAV4 is surprisingly roomy inside with a very large cargo area. In my comparison, my RX has some nicer features, like Mark Levinson sound, ventilated seats, radar cruise, LED lighting, etc. However I'm always surprised at how great the RAV4 is when I drive it (my parents own one).

The RAV4 will get noticeably better gas mileage, and has a more advanced AWD system if that's important to you. The RAV4's engine is more buzzy, especially at idle and lower speeds, so the RX gets the nod for refinement.

Just drive both and see which speaks to you more. You really can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-25-15, 07:37 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2013 RAV4 and a 2010 RX450h, not a direct comparison but I have driven the 350 on loaners for weeks at a time.

As said above, RX has more refinement, I know its not direct comparison but my heavier hybrid gets better mpg than my rav4.. Almost wish everything has an hybrid version

If you want features, go with the RX.. have you compare maintenance cost for both ? My rx is hitting 100k soon, I need to have this big service done, brake fluid drain, etc. Pretty penny from the dealer
Old 08-25-15, 11:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have lots of experience driving both a 2013 RX350 and a 2013 RAV4.

The RX is obviously nicer, however, the RAV4 is surprisingly roomy inside with a very large cargo area. In my comparison, my RX has some nicer features, like Mark Levinson sound, ventilated seats, radar cruise, LED lighting, etc. However I'm always surprised at how great the RAV4 is when I drive it (my parents own one).

The RAV4 will get noticeably better gas mileage, and has a more advanced AWD system if that's important to you. The RAV4's engine is more buzzy, especially at idle and lower speeds, so the RX gets the nod for refinement.

Just drive both and see which speaks to you more. You really can't go wrong with either.
I believe RAV4 and RX have the same AWD system. Was there something added to RAV4 to make it special?
Overall, neither boasts in off-road capabilities and both feature part-time only engagement.
Old 08-25-15, 11:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I believe RAV4 and RX have the same AWD system. Was there something added to RAV4 to make it special?
Overall, neither boasts in off-road capabilities and both feature part-time only engagement.
Yes, the current RAV4 has a torque vectoring system that the RX does not. I believe Toyota calls it "Dynamic Torque-Control AWD".
Old 08-25-15, 11:51 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Yes, the current RAV4 has a torque vectoring system that the RX does not. I believe Toyota calls it "Dynamic Torque-Control AWD".
Thank you. For a moment I thought Toyota finally implemented torque-vectoring, but alas, it did not. All current Subarus got it to help with understeer related to full-time AWD engagement. Toyota does not need it as much as it does not feature All-Wheel-Drive, but All-Weather-Drive instead.

Both systems appear to be the same to me.
Lexus just has a different name for it: Electronically controlled Active Torque Control AWD
Toyota RAV4: Dynamic Torque Control AWD

In short, it's just a fancy name for part-time rear-wheel engagement system that is not suitable for off-roading.
Old 08-25-15, 11:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The difference, that I can find, is that the RX cannot control torque side to side, or can it? The RAV4 can, by using individual braking. I can't find anything similar in the RX literature.

RAV4 AWD features our innovative All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system with Dynamic Torque Control. It improves handling by distributing engine power from front to rear and manages the vehicle’s braking system from side to side for maximum control.
http://www.toyota.com/rav4/#!/featur...ue-control-awd
Old 08-25-15, 12:04 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

The difference, that I can find, is that the RX cannot control torque side to side, or can it? The RAV4 can, by using individual braking. I can't find anything similar in the RX literature.

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/#!/featur...ue-control-awd
Got it! So they did add brake-actuated torque-vectoring.
Surprisingly it is not in their press-release specs.
Old 08-25-15, 12:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Got it! So they did add brake-actuated torque-vectoring.
Surprisingly it is not in their press-release specs.

I only knew because I remember seeing it on the Toyota site quite some time ago.
Old 08-25-15, 12:55 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I only knew because I remember seeing it on the Toyota site quite some time ago.
Something doesn't make sense. If they did do torque-vectoring, they would advertise it all over the place. I found detailed explanation of the system:
Originally Posted by Toyota Pressroom
The new Dynamic Torque Control AWD system continuously monitors and controls the torque transfer between the front and rear wheels via an electromagnetically controlled coupling positioned in front of the rear differential.

Front to rear torque distribution can vary from 100:0 to 50:50, with front-wheel drive (100:0) automatically engaged under normal driving conditions to improve fuel consumption.

The Dynamic Torque Control AWD system uses information sent from various sensors (speed, steering angle and speed, throttle angle and yaw rate) to automatically govern the transmission of torque to the rear wheels, as required.

In Auto mode -when neither Sport mode nor Lock mode are activated- torque transfer to the rear wheels will take place not only when the slip is detected (as in the current-generation RAV4), but also when the system detects steering input and cornering forces while on-road. As a result, the overall agility and driving performance of the new RAV4 is enhanced during both on- and off-road driving.

When the all new Sport mode (standard on AWD models) is selected, torque transfer to the rear wheels will start from the moment the steering wheel is turned. The new Dynamic Torque Control AWD System, with the feedback from driver steering input, will adjust automatically a 90:10 front/rear torque distribution to reduce the load on the front tires.

If later, an actual understeer develops, torque transfer to the rear wheels are automatically increased by up to 50 percent, further reducing front tire loading to provide improved lateral grip.

As well as activating the ‘Dynamic’ behavior of the system’s front to rear torque transfer, the new Sport mode also modifies the RAV4’s power steering, throttle and transmissions; decreasing power steering assistance, sharpening throttle response and offering higher revs, and automatic gearbox management, for a more dynamic, sporting driving experience.

For off-road driving, the system incorporates an AWD Lock button. This allows drivers to lock torque distribution in a fixed, 50/50 ratio at speeds up to about 25 mph. Above this speed, the system automatically reverts to Auto mode.

In both front- and all-wheel drive RAV4s, Sport Mode sharpens shift timing, throttle response, and steering response. When down shifting the RAV4 six-speed automatic transmission in "S" Mode, engine revs rise with a clearly audible "blip," adding to the driving experience.

The RAV4s new Dynamic Torque Control AWD system automatically shifts from front-wheel drive (FWD) to AWD when accelerating or when sensors detect wheel slippage.
It's all about the center diff.
Now, the FWD does feature a simulated LSD system:
Originally Posted by Toyota Pressroom
Front-drive RAV4’s feature an Automatic Limited Slip Differential (Auto LSD), which can be engaged by the driver at low speeds. Through pulsed application of the individual front brakes, Auto LSD helps direct power across the front axle, simulating the function of a limited-slip differential. Auto LSD is essentially a second layer of computer logic in the Traction Control system that can be engaged in certain low-speed situations, up to approximately 25 mph. Unlike Traction Control, Auto LSD allows a measure of controlled drive-wheel spin to help “dig” out of difficult conditions, like a sandy patch on an unpaved road leading to a campsite, or a driveway covered with snow.
That's not exactly torque-vectoring either, as it has the opposite functionality.

This statement is a bit vague:
Originally Posted by Toyota.com
It improves handling by distributing engine power from front to rear and manages the vehicle’s braking system from side to side for maximum control.
Did someone simply confuse Electronic Brakeforce Distribution?

I'm not able to find anything to support Rav4 featuring torque-vectoring.
Old 08-25-15, 01:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Interesting. I don't have much time to look right now, but I did find this about the Highlander:

The Dynamic Torque Control all-wheel drive system introduced on the RAV4 is being adapted for the Highlander. Using wheel speed, throttle input, yaw, and steering angle sensors, it delivers all torque to the front wheels until it detects slip, and to minimize that can transfer up to 50% of torque to the rear wheels. And through the anti-lock brake system, it also can regulate side-to-side torque distribution (torque vectoring by brake). As on the RAV4, it has Auto and Lock modes.
http://articles.sae.org/11953/

and this in the RAV4 SAE article:

The optional AWD system has “Dynamic Torque Control,” essentially a Toyota version of torque vectoring by brake intervention.
http://articles.sae.org/11622/

This is from Automobile Magazine:

More important, a torque-vectoring function distributes power side to side to help the RAV4 turn more responsively when the traction is poor.
http://www.automobilemag.com/toyota/rav4/2013/#reviews

So I keep finding it in the Toyota site, and various other publications, but nothing about it in the Toyota Pressroom releases. Interesting.

Quick Reply: RAV4 vs RX 350