RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Are front windows treated with anything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 03:00 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Are front windows treated with anything?

Got lazy over the weekend and ran the RX thru the toucheless wash..I.noticed that as the soap and water was being sprayed, almost immedotaly did it bead off the windshield and 2 front windows..but not the rears. Just curious if anyone knows how this is? Its quite awesome its like rainx that I never applied!
Tried googling couldn't find much on it
Old 07-28-15, 03:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Yes, the front side windows are treated.

WATER-REPELLENT FRONT DOOR GLASS
This feature has been around for the better part of a decade, and in current models it’s found on the front driver and passenger windows. “It’s a titanium-silica coating on the glass that helps make water bead up and run off, making it easier to see through the window and to see your mirrors when it’s raining,” says Charles Hubbard, senior dealer education administrator for Lexus College. “The effect is similar to what those aftermarket window treatments can do.”

The difference, of course, is that unlike some aftermarket products, this titanium-silica coating is permanent; it never needs to be reapplied, and it requires no special treatment. Just clean it as you would the rest of your glass.

Water-repellent glass is a subtle innovation, but one that’s easily appreciated by simply comparing the side-by-side behavior of water on the front and rear passenger windows; on the front, rain will bead up and roll off quickly, whereas on the rear, the water tends to sheet.

Incidentally, this is a reason to insist on genuine Lexus parts if you ever need a window replaced, as an aftermarket product likely won’t have this treatment.
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...ter-Protection
Old 07-28-15, 03:47 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

"Water-repellant front-door glass" is cited as a standard safety item in the 2nd Gen RX Glossy Brochure, although I don't see it in mentioned in my 2013 3rd Gen brochure or in the online manuals after quite a bit of searching just now. To your point, though, I believe my 3rd Gen has a coating on just the front side windows to help improve visibility during inclement weather (no windshield wipers on the sides, right? ). I've never read of a mfgr-applied coating to the windshield, so can't confirm your suspicion. In fact I apply Aquapel (IMHO lasts longer than RainX) to assist with sheeting action on my front and back windows.
Old 07-28-15, 05:15 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

awesome thanks for the replies... never heard of titanium silica i may do some reading up on it i wish i could apply it to all my cars
Old 07-28-15, 05:25 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BertL
"Water-repellant front-door glass" is cited as a standard safety item in the 2nd Gen RX Glossy Brochure, although I don't see it in mentioned in my 2013 3rd Gen brochure or in the online manuals after quite a bit of searching just now. To your point, though, I believe my 3rd Gen has a coating on just the front side windows to help improve visibility during inclement weather (no windshield wipers on the sides, right? ). I've never read of a mfgr-applied coating to the windshield, so can't confirm your suspicion. In fact I apply Aquapel (IMHO lasts longer than RainX) to assist with sheeting action on my front and back windows.
is aquapel safe for long term use? i cant remember what i read up on a while back but i remember it saying it caused the glass to soften or something, cause it to crack much easier
Old 07-29-15, 04:42 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have been using it for over 8+ years on all of our vehicles and it works great and has not hurt the glass. Highly recommended!
Old 07-29-15, 04:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
is aquapel safe for long term use? i cant remember what i read up on a while back but i remember it saying it caused the glass to soften or something, cause it to crack much easier
Not an issue for me having used Aquapel for (I can't even remember how many) years on 3-4 different vehicles as well as my shower doors, nor have I ever read of such a concern. If you come across that reference some time, I'd appreciate the pointer as I can't find any severe concerns like you mention with a few WWW searches I did just now, and the product appears to be in much wider distribution than the last time I needed to buy some and could only find it on eBay. For others, so we don't inadvertently stray too far off-topic here, there is more discussion about Aquapel, Rain-X, and maintaining vehicle glass over in our Auto Care & Detailing Forum.