RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interested in getting a Rx any Opinions/Suggestions?

Old 07-20-15, 11:39 PM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink Interested in getting a Rx any Opinions/Suggestions?

Starting off, I've been trying to look for a SUV that's reliable, and in addition for the appearance and I came across the RX that caught my eyes. I've read many comments saying that the RX was very reliable. In your opinion would the RX F-sport be the perfect first car for me? Also any suggestion on what percentage I should tint the windows? I was planning to get 5% rear and debating whether I should get 35% or 20% tint. Also I was having a difficult time deciding whether I should get it in Grey or White. What are the pros/cons about this vehicle?

I would highly appreciate you guys giving me feedback and giving me helpful suggestions.

Last edited by LINSTEFAN; 07-20-15 at 11:40 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 07-21-15, 05:34 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO, it's difficult for anyone to say if a vehicle is a "perfect car" for someone else, and help provide pros/cons especially without knowing what your priorities, needs, budget, plan to buy new/CPO/used, (e.g. are you looking at a 2015 or 2016 when they come out?) etc are... IMHO, color decisions are personal ones that in the end, you really need to make for yourself, and likely need to see the color in person in different lighting situations to understand how it looks and may appeal to your taste.

My suggestion is, as it appears you are in the beginnings of exploring a new-to-you RX, grab your favorite beverage when you have the time, then scan or do a few searches in this forum. There are threads about the positive reliability most of us have enjoyed, as well as links to various external reviews citing Lexus RX reliability if you are looking for that. You'll find a number of threads with lots of pictures if you're trying to decide about color combinations, wheels, etc, that also include some amount of demographic info why people bought their RX (check the two "roll call" stickies at the top of this forum for starters). There are also other threads about tinting, including current discussion and pictures. As you then explore specific topics and have more questions, chime in and someone I'm sure will try to assist.

Good luck in your pursuit.
Old 07-21-15, 06:51 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Front tint is illegal in California and I've always thought it looks dumb when the rear is tinted much darker than the front. I would just leave the Lexus factory tint on the rear and be done, or if you can find a shop to violate the law install some very light tint on the front to at least help with the heat/UV.

For color, grey is easy to take care of because it rarely looks dirty, so if you don't want to wash it a lot it is a good color. But it is also kind of bland. Try to find a picture or a dealer that has a white Fsport for you to look at, some cars look good in white and some really don't. White can look really good after it is just washed, but takes more upkeep.
Old 07-21-15, 08:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It's all personal preference. You should write down what's the most important factor to you. F-sport? Color? Price? I bought my RX recently and decided that mileage was not as important as color choices and features. You on the other hand, might look at mileage as being more important than anything else. I'm assuming you are looking at the 350 only, and not the 450h since the US 450h never came with F-sport (only sports appearance package which I found out thanks to this forum)

Are you in Norcal or Socal? Let me know what you're looking for and I'll keep an eye out. I still look around even after my purchase.
Old 07-21-15, 01:13 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps do some research and start test driving RX's and RX F-sports. There are mixed reviews on everything.
Old 07-21-15, 09:53 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay away from an f sport unless it's a 2016. Hopefully they got the tranny right in the new model. The current f sport has many issues, IMO...not with reliability. Rather it is a very difficult car to drive. I have had a base model with the 6 speed tranny a few times as a loaner and it is a better driving car, just as fast as the f sport and more comfortable. I've had my f sport for 2.5 years and wish I could get out of right now. The 8 speed tranny in the f sport never seems to know what gear it wants to be in, there is too much laxity in the gas pedal, and the suspension is unnecessarily firm without any performance benefits. If you like the styling, you can get the f sport appearance package on the base model. This is just my opinion though, and you need to drive it to be sure.
Old 07-21-15, 10:56 PM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Thanks for the opinions guys I really appreciate them! Yea, I'll just head on down to the dealership and compare the models and examine it more in person. @viperdoc @BeryL I was going to consider getting the new 2016 RX it's really a tough decision, cause I wanted the RX F-sport but now from what you guys said, I might reconsider on like a different model. @Gsteg I live in the Socal, Mind snapping picture of your RX? :3 I was going to look at the F-sport but, i might reconsider choosing a different model or wait for the 2016 to be release and compare them both. Btw what do you guys mostly see the 450h, 350 or F-sport mostly around your areas?

Last edited by LINSTEFAN; 07-21-15 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 06:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll snap a picture this afternoon. As you know, it's been raining here in socal so there was no chance of getting a good shot.

You definitely see 350 more than 450h, but even less F-sport since they only appeared on 2013+.

Since you're comparing the 3RX to the 4RX, I can only assume you're looking to buy a new 2015 model rather than used/CPO? I had the same dilemma, but decided to go with the 3RX simply because the 4RX was still half a year away and the price will probably remain high as demand will be up there. I figured I can always trade in the 3RX if I really want the 4RX, or keep it if I don't.
Old 07-22-15, 11:42 PM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'll snap a picture this afternoon. As you know, it's been raining here in socal so there was no chance of getting a good shot.

You definitely see 350 more than 450h, but even less F-sport since they only appeared on 2013+.

Since you're comparing the 3RX to the 4RX, I can only assume you're looking to buy a new 2015 model rather than used/CPO? I had the same dilemma, but decided to go with the 3RX simply because the 4RX was still half a year away and the price will probably remain high as demand will be up there. I figured I can always trade in the 3RX if I really want the 4RX, or keep it if I don't.
Oh it's alright, whenever u get a chance. Yea I rather buy a new 2015 model rather than buying a used or older model. I was also considering getting a NX, but it seems like no one rarely drives it. I haven't seen a single person driving it. :| Haha yea I totally agree from your perspective. Waiting an extra half a year for it being released is a hassle. I think i'll stick with the 3RX rather than the 4RX. In my opinion I don't really like the appearance on the 4RX. To me it kinda looks like a hatch than a SUV, but you know everyone has different opinions.
Old 07-26-15, 09:39 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

I'm Skeptical about the 2016s after the issues I have had in mine. We will pay a premium for a car with tech that isn't really new. They will put the same existing, horrible 8 speed tranny in every RX version, use the same engine as in the current version and use an adaptable suspension that is almost identical to what's been in the gs f sport for years. I have heard owners of German cars say that Lexus buyers are happy with refreshed styling rather than spend money on a car that actually performs and drives well. I am starting to understand this comment. I got the Lexus primarily for comfort and reliability, but the horrible driving characteristics are too much to bear anymore. No amount of reliability is worth this car.
Old 07-26-15, 10:32 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I'm Skeptical about the 2016s after the issues I have had in mine. We will pay a premium for a car with tech that isn't really new. They will put the same existing, horrible 8 speed tranny in every RX version, use the same engine as in the current version and use an adaptable suspension that is almost identical to what's been in the gs f sport for years. I have heard owners of German cars say that Lexus buyers are happy with refreshed styling rather than spend money on a car that actually performs and drives well. I am starting to understand this comment. I got the Lexus primarily for comfort and reliability, but the horrible driving characteristics are too much to bear anymore. No amount of reliability is worth this car.
It appears your dislike of your F-Sport has solidified further from your previous posts, and the time has come for you to begin your hunt of performance/handling beyond what likely any RX can provide if that is your top priority. I'm sure you'll do a lot more evaluation behind-the-wheel of your next ride before signing on the dotted line, than what I have gathered from previous posts may have been the case with your present F-Sport.

I wish you luck in your search, and that you do not end up with any significant reliability challenges like I had with my first German performance machine -- that still for me to this day was the best driving vehicle I've ever owned ...and from my experience, that you are ready for increased ongoing maintenance cost, even more so if you want to keep your ride longer than most folks do who lease and never experience basic warranty expiration. My second German toy is so fun to drive, and I like its looks and leading-edge tech A LOT, but as I expected when I ordered it, its annual maintenance is more than double my RX costs, some of it's creature comforts are not on-par with what my Lexi have been, and I don't trust it reliability-wise compared to my 20+ year history with Lexus -- e.g. I'm taking it in tomorrow for another couple of things that need resolving under warranty. Hopefully your next ride is everything you want it to be, although I personally believe I will always have to make trade-offs with any vehicle I purchase, and no manufacturer can produce a perfect match to meet all my desires in a single affordable vehicle. For me, it just comes down to what my personal priorities are at the time, and then I get to live with my decisions until it's replaced and I start all over again. . Good luck once again.

Last edited by BertL; 07-26-15 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added maintenance comment
Old 07-26-15, 08:41 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

BertL...you are right my dislike continues to grow while I look for something else. Some days it is tolerable but on others it drives like it really is broken....random up shifts, lagging gas pedal followed by abrupt and violent downshifts...I could go on. Very frustrating. I want to love it, I really do. I have driven most of the German competitors and will say undoubtedly that they drive much better, but their interior materials and comfort is not even close to the Lexus. I found a Porsche Cayenne that was perfect on paper and almost pulled the trigger but couldn't get over how hard the seats were. So I walk away from the dealer feeling like I would fix one issue and walk away with another. And then you have the maintenance and reliability costs that you mention.

The only thing I can say is that I definitely would not have bought the f sport if I did it over again. I would have purchased the base model with the appearance package. I really do hope they fix some of the wonkiness of the current f sport in the 2016 model, because I love everything about my car, until I get in and drive it.
Old 07-26-15, 09:20 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm on my 3d RX 350 (White, Deep Sea Mica, & now Claret Mica). I choose the Saddle Tan leather interior instead of the lighter interior leathers. The bottom half of the cabin is mostly Black. The "Head Liner" is Grey. I did not like the "Black" Head Liner in the "F" Sport or the extra cost for the suspension, brakes, etc. I choose the RX 350 with the 19" Wheels and Michelin Tires, which I prefer over Dunlap's. I also got AWD (rarely use it in NM, but it's there if I need it) and the "Towing Package" which improves the efficiency/stamina of certain items. I can't really tell the difference between the 19" vs. 18" wheels in ride quality. I choose not to look at the Hybrid as I don't drive enuf miles to justify the difference in price. The Claret Mica color is a great choice and you don't see many of them on the road. My suggestion is drive both the RX350 and the RX350F and compare them. I'm an older driver, had 4 different LS 430/460's before switching to the SUV. I Prefer the ride height of the RX to the LS (I mostly drove my Nissan Frontier, rather than the LS anyway) and had driven several RX loaners over the years when I went in for maintenance on the LS's. I've not regretted my decision to go with the RX. Again, my suggestion is to go drive them both and compare. The RX350 is very responsive to the throttle and a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-27-15, 11:54 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
BertL...you are right my dislike continues to grow while I look for something else. Some days it is tolerable but on others it drives like it really is broken....random up shifts, lagging gas pedal followed by abrupt and violent downshifts...I could go on. Very frustrating. I want to love it, I really do. I have driven most of the German competitors and will say undoubtedly that they drive much better, but their interior materials and comfort is not even close to the Lexus. I found a Porsche Cayenne that was perfect on paper and almost pulled the trigger but couldn't get over how hard the seats were. So I walk away from the dealer feeling like I would fix one issue and walk away with another. And then you have the maintenance and reliability costs that you mention.

The only thing I can say is that I definitely would not have bought the f sport if I did it over again. I would have purchased the base model with the appearance package. I really do hope they fix some of the wonkiness of the current f sport in the 2016 model, because I love everything about my car, until I get in and drive it.
It sounds like your main gripe is with the transmission. Have you considered the RX450h? I'm sure Bert will confirm whether or not there is a gas pedal lag.

Originally Posted by RGSW
I choose not to look at the Hybrid as I don't drive enuf miles to justify the difference in price.
If you check of the hybrid forums, there are many more benefits to a hybrid than just the gas-cost comparison.

-Eric
Old 07-27-15, 12:59 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by ericsan13
...Have you considered the RX450h? I'm sure Bert will confirm whether or not there is a gas pedal lag....
IMHO, no lag. Certainly nothing like the initial sluggishness and then the massive kick-in-the-rear I feel when the turbo kicks in if I'm trying to push the pedal to the metal from a stop on my little SLK. While I consider the smoothness of the CVT to be one of the things I absolutely love about my last two RXh, and I'd have it in every future vehicle I own if I could, I know it's a real turn off to some... For those that would rather have a stick, or those that love the feel of the (even subtle) shifting of gears, or the sounds of a more traditional ICE and transmission, CVT won't be a consideration.

For me, the bigger challenge is I think some folks want the performance and handling of a little sports car in a big luxurious SUV. I'd like that too, but as I've said many times, I have not found any mfgr that can produce such a thing to meet my expectations, priorities, and budget. It's why I've kept two vehicles in my stable for a number of years now -- each targeted at a different set of priorities ...and I continue to read with interest, do a lot of sighing to myself, and be as supportive as possible as others go on their own journey of exploration, and IMHO generally become disappointed when they find they can't quite have it all in one ride -- even a Lexus -- as much as we'd all wish that were possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interested in getting a Rx any Opinions/Suggestions?