RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rust around the taillight on the rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 08:08 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rust around the taillight on the rear hatch

Hello....

I washed and wax my wife's 2011 RX yesterday and I spotted rust around the edge of the taillight. It looks like part of the blister already break open and the other part just start forming. The car is Canadian build in Matador red mica color. Never been in any accident and never had any paintwork. I will take it in to Lexus dealer today for my SA to take an initial look.

Do you guys have or heard of hatch door rust issue on 3rd gen RX ??? I'm in shock that 4 years old car started to develop rust.

Will upload picture later.

Last edited by tsiripong; 07-24-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-20-15, 05:01 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Here are the pictures.

Old 07-21-15, 05:45 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problem, but I'm glad you are getting your RX in to your dealer -- that's where it needs to go.

Originally Posted by tsiripong
...Do you guys have or heard of hatch door rust issue on 3rd gen RX ???
Have you done a quick search using the keyword "rust" on this forum? While I wouldn't say problems are pervasive, you'll see a couple threads referencing individual issues posters have had with tailgates, around emblems, etc that may be of interest.

Good luck in a positive resolution!
Old 07-21-15, 07:13 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Update:

I took it into the Lexus dealer yesterday... My SA took a couple pictures of the rust and told me that he need to go through his Director and will Lexus Rep will need to inspect.

My SA suspects that there are possibility that road salt got kicked up and stuck between the tight gap and deteriorated over time. I found his speculation to be highly unlikely. There is no way that the salt will get kick up pass the rear bumper and stuck there long enough to rust out like that... I also hand wash and wax all of my vehicles at least twice a month.... and also hose down twice a week during the winter to clean out road salt...

Now I guess all I can do is just wait and hope that Lexus will stand behind their product and do the right thing. Finger crossed.

Last edited by tsiripong; 07-24-15 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-21-15, 08:05 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

An SA should NEVER speculate like that, even if he believes what he's telling you! It shows a lack of objectivity that would destroy my confidence in his desire or ability to advocate on my behalf when there is a legitimate possibility of warranty or service issue. Not that I would expect him to put his job at risk, but I do want him to at LEAST represent my interest and not just roll over or take a position against my concern.

That said, I think he's nuts. They HAVE to know that water and road dirt would accumulate in that seam, and would take care to protect it from corrosion. Anyone that cares for a car the way you do knows how much moisture and dirt gets sucked up from under the car and plants itself on the rear hatch. That's why they put wipers on the back window! It seems more likely to me there was a weak spot in the protection coating at that location. Maybe your car is unique, and maybe not. But I would certainly want them to look at it objectively.

Good luck. I have confidence that Lexus will be fair.
Old 07-21-15, 08:18 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

has the tail light ever been replaced? The only possible cause i can think of is from vibration of the assembly rubbing through the paint to start the rust, if it wasn't secured properly.

Anyways, good luck with your Lexus rep.
Old 07-21-15, 10:09 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, in case you or perhaps others may be concerned about a Regional Lexus Rep needing to be involved, I thought I'd offer some of my own experience engaging them.

I've twice had to have a Lexus Regional Service person engaged over the years -- one involved issues with an odd paint drip visible only under certain lighting conditions beneath the clear coat on the hood of my new SC430 back in the day; another was with strange white particles that started to appear on the dash of my RX400h a year after the basic warranty had expired.

Just like with any business I've ever been a part of, or as a customer where I've needed to escalate something beyond some customer service rep I'm working with, the front line has delegated authority up to only certain levels or for more common situations. From my experiences, it appears Lexus dealers are the same, having been granted the ability to "make the call" by Lexus HQ on most day-to-day items, but other more out-of-the-ordinary situations require a higher-level or more specialized person to inspect and/or authorize corrective action.

In both of my situations, the dealer took all the info from me, acted as my sponsor with the regional rep who I never interacted with, notified me after that was done, then scheduled the repair actions, providing me a Lexus loaner until my issues were perfectly resolved to my satisfaction.
Note: In both of my situations -- one in SoCal, one in GA -- Regional Service Reps were either scheduled-in or came by the dealership every couple of weeks. Not sure how that is today, but unless your SA set an expectation with you, I wouldn't expect an update for several days depending on how the timing works out -- IIRC, it took nearly a week in one case and closer to 10 days in the other for the dealer to get authorization. Since it was not a safety issue and my rides were perfectly drivable, that timing wasn't a problem for me.
I am both hopeful and confident Lexus will treat you as well as I have been. Your dealer has taken the first action and stepped up to the plate seeking resolution as your advocate. My suggestion is, be patient now, let the process happen, and allow Lexus and your dealer to hopefully make a home run resolving your problem to your satisfaction.
Old 07-21-15, 10:26 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
has the tail light ever been replaced? The only possible cause i can think of is from vibration of the assembly rubbing through the paint to start the rust, if it wasn't secured properly.

Anyways, good luck with your Lexus rep.

Thanks...

All light assemblies are original and never been apart... The car never been in an accident.... All body panels and paint are original. I did check the light assembly and it is tight and secure.
Old 07-24-15, 07:23 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Update::

The car has been inspected by Lexus District rep yesterday and Lexus authorized rust repair on the tailgate.

Since there is no Lexus Certified Body shop close by (Columbus, OH), My Lexus dealer gave me 2 options. Option 1, Let their collision center take care of the issue (The same owner that own Lexus dealer also own a collision center). My SA said that I just drop off the car at the dealer and they will take care of transport the car back and fort from the repair facility and also provide me with loaner car and everything will go through him.

Option 2, I can choose any body shop of my choice... The downside on this one is that I have to take care of my own transportation... No loaner car.... and also do all the leg work myself.

Background story: I had some of the paint work done on my GS at the body shop owned by the same owner of Lexus dealer before and not happy with customer service.... The left quite a sour taste in my mouth... their work quality is good, but Customer service was horrible.

What should I do?
Old 07-24-15, 07:36 AM
YCT
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a shop in mind for option 2? If not I think I would go with option 1.
Old 07-24-15, 07:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would go with option 1. If the work or service is not done to your satisfaction, you can go back to Lexus for assistance in making it right. If you choose your own shop and the work is not done to your satisfaction, you'll probably have a hard time getting Lexus to assist you in making it right.
Old 07-24-15, 10:00 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Update:

I just got a call from my SA... He told me that he is able to get it in writing that Lexus will provide loaner car if I choose to take the vehicle to get repair done that the shop of my choice, but I still have to go get an estimate and transport the car to the shop myself. It's appealing, but idk.... I'm afraid that there might create more work that I have to deal with.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would go with option 1. If the work or service is not done to your satisfaction, you can go back to Lexus for assistance in making it right. If you choose your own shop and the work is not done to your satisfaction, you'll probably have a hard time getting Lexus to assist you in making it right.
That is exactly what I am afraid of for option 2... Not so much of the work quality... I know the body shop that do great work and they also work on High end cars... I am more afraid of that if the rust start to come back at other location on the tailgate then Lexus will not provide any assistance since I pick my own shop...... Also, I never see any body shop provide warranty on rust repair unless they replace the whole door.

Old 07-24-15, 10:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

tsiripong, it sounds like you've made your decision based on your comments. All I will add is go with your gut, it's rarely wrong. Good luck.
Old 07-24-15, 10:45 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
tsiripong, it sounds like you've made your decision based on your comments. All I will add is go with your gut, it's rarely wrong. Good luck.
Thanks.... Both choices have pros and cons.... I know that letting my dealer take care of the whole thing is less work for me and probably will be easier to ask for Lexus assistant of there is any issue arise in the future... But the bad customer service experience I received in the pass from their body shop makes me second guess myself.

... I guess I just need to get over the sour taste in my mouth that I had from previous experience with their body shop....

It's sad because I am very happy with the service I receive from my Lexus dealer, but the body shop that their dealer own is horrible in term of customer service...
Old 07-24-15, 10:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I would let Lexus take care of everything. If it is the customer service that you are most concerned about, it is something you won't have to deal with once this is done and over with. However, if the rust comes back, with the second option, you won't have a leg to stand on.

Quick Reply: Rust around the taillight on the rear hatch