RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What do you put in your 'trap door'?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default What do you put in your 'trap door'?

I'm just curious as to what you 2013+ RX owners store, keep or hide in your RX's trap door.

If you do use it, do you find that items slide or make a ruckus while maneuvering?
Old 07-16-15, 12:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I have two USB charging cables and some microfiber towels. I don't have anything big enough for it to slide around.
Old 07-16-15, 01:42 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Owner's Manual?
Old 07-16-15, 02:12 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Right. I put 100% of the Owner's and Related Manuals in that deep dark recess after I thoroughly digested them a couple of times, as they fit perfectly on-edge -- allowing my iPod, extra charging cables, oversized sunglasses, and other miscellaneous to be easily accessible in the upper console section directly under the driver's right armrest ...leaving my glove box empty for passenger use except for a little flashlight and my registration paperwork that resides there.

I provided a pictorial how-to accessing the "secret compartment" for that possibility in THIS POST a little while back. There is additional discussion there about how folks utilize the center storage areas on 3rd Gen RX as well.
Old 07-16-15, 02:16 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fire estinguisher. I really hope it will be never used, but... just in case.
Old 07-16-15, 02:38 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A glock and a couple of g's
Old 07-16-15, 02:39 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by iginoc
A fire estinguisher. I really hope it will be never used, but... just in case.
Are you serious? IMHO, if I had a fire needing an extinguisher, I could never remove the trinkets from the top section of the console box, get both trap doors open, and maneuver out a long fire extinguisher from down there quick enough. To me, it's a great place for the manuals once they have been appropriately consumed and need access only upon rare occasion.
Old 07-16-15, 03:17 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Are you serious? IMHO, if I had a fire needing an extinguisher, I could never remove the trinkets from the top section of the console box, get both trap doors open, and maneuver out a long fire extinguisher from down there quick enough. To me, it's a great place for the manuals once they have been appropriately consumed and need access only upon rare occasion.
IMO the fire estinguisher should be easily accessible from the driver and the passenger. The only other space space available with these characteristics is the one under the gear lever bridge, but I prefer the space under the armrest: I did some test. opening the armrest and removing the bins require a mere 10 seconds... and the space under the armrest is well protected and lilely to remain accessible even in case of collision. For the owner manuals, I don't keep them in the car. I've put a softcopy of the manuals in my smartphone, it is more practical...
Old 07-16-15, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Some good answers. Never thought about the fire extinguisher.

Does anyone wish this compartment was lockable like the glove box?
Old 07-16-15, 03:27 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by iginoc
IMO the fire estinguisher should be easily accessible from the driver and the passenger. The only other space space available with these characteristics is the one under the gear lever bridge, but I prefer the space under the armrest: I did some test. opening the armrest and removing the bins require a mere 10 seconds... and the space under the armrest is well protected and lilely to remain accessible even in case of collision. For the owner manuals, I don't keep them in the car. I've put a softcopy of the manuals in my smartphone, it is more practical...
It's a great solution, and I'm glad it works for you -- as you say, hopefully you'll never need to really use it. I just don't think I'd be coordinated enough to manage my way through it in the heat (sorry, no pun intended) of the moment with all "the stuff" that has to come out of my center console first, before even opening the bottom two doors. ...and yes, I keep softcopy on on my phone as well. It's the only way to go.
Old 07-16-15, 03:33 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
...Does anyone wish this compartment was lockable like the glove box?
No. I figure the secret area is pretty well hidden from most casual thiefs to begin, especially if stuff is piled into the top area, unless you're a Lexus person that has read the manuals or a forum like this closely. Note in the other thread I referenced how many owners didn't have a clue there was a first, let alone a second secret area in the center console. Besides, IMHO, if someone gets into my RX, a screwdriver is all it takes to open the glovebox -- it's no safe -- and putting a similar lock in the center console probably just adds cost where most people would not elect to pay for the supposed feature it may provide.
Old 07-17-15, 03:17 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Monocular, flashlight, threaded tow loop/ring (for pulling car onto flatbed), box cutter, and lightweight motorcycle jumper cables (cuz I'm screwed if the car is packed and the trunk-mounted 12v battery goes dead -again) that can hook to the under-hood jumper pads.
Old 07-17-15, 09:09 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
A glock and a couple of g's
Not really a good place to put a firearm. Emergency retrieval won't be your friend.
Old 07-20-15, 09:27 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Monocular, flashlight, threaded tow loop/ring (for pulling car onto flatbed), box cutter, and lightweight motorcycle jumper cables (cuz I'm screwed if the car is packed and the trunk-mounted 12v battery goes dead -again) that can hook to the under-hood jumper pads.
I stash the manuals in mine, but I like this one! What's the box cutter for?
Old 07-20-15, 09:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

nothing....

Quick Reply: What do you put in your 'trap door'?