RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 2012 gasoline grade preference

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 12:34 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Justin, would you like to contribute to a topic? First of all15K is not higher than most, it is national average.

Question to you Is $225 you spend extra per year benefit your car? you or your family? or mostly oil executives?

Again, if we're concerned about $225 per year (national average as you say, fine by me) after spending $40 - $50k purchasing our vehicles, then once again, get another vehicle.

Try a Highlander.

Manual does says premium fuel, and that's what I use. I don't care if running 87 produces no "so-called" ill effect. If I was concerned about the oil executives, I'd buy a Prius.
Old 07-16-15, 02:36 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Folks, We've been here, done this discussion many times in other threads. Let's just be sure we don't begin to get too personal in the passionate points everyone is trying to make, or get too far off the intent of the original post in our comments.

Some of us consistently quote the minimum fuel rating Lexus officially suggests be used in various MYs of different models. Some owners (like myself) heed that advice in the decisions they make, the actions they take, and the cost it involves from their wallets. Others may choose to take a different approach with their own vehicles to save a few bucks because they believe they know better than the Lexus Engineers that establish the manufacturer recommendations. I say, that's fine and so-be-it. We each make our own decisions what's best for us and our own situations.

Recent sidebars in this thread contain the same sort of round-and-round points that can and have been made on the value of using dealer service vs Toyota, DIY, or a 3rd party shop for non-warranty maintenance when owning a luxury vehicle like our Lexi. Many opinions, many options. Let's now get back to the original intent of this thread please.
Old 07-18-15, 10:23 PM
Johnknee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my car from the auction last night and used premium and it only went down 2 bars from being at a full tank. I'll drive it more and update you guys!
Old 07-19-15, 06:18 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

FWIW my 2013 manual says 87 is fine, it runs fine on 87, can't imagine why I'd change.
Old 07-30-15, 07:11 AM
naytrix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, so far beyond opinions no one shed light to the "87 or better" part of the question. It seems like I will have to stick with 87 for now. I was really hoping for an answer like "this engine is magically optimized for any unleaded gasoline type, so if you want more power, put 92 but if you want to save money, put 87". Alas, if I ever will find an answer I'll post it here. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-30-15, 09:27 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by naytrix
I was really hoping for an answer like "this engine is magically optimized for any unleaded gasoline type, so if you want more power, put 92 but if you want to save money, put 87".
This is exactly main misconception. Some excerpts from Wikipedia:

"Octane ratings are not indicators of the energy content of fuels. They are only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner."

"Where the octane number is raised by blending in ethanol, energy content per volume is reduced."
92 has more ethanol then 87, is it significant? of course not but how some get better mileage from lower energy gasoline?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old 07-30-15, 11:41 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
This is exactly main misconception. Some excerpts from Wikipedia:

"Octane ratings are not indicators of the energy content of fuels. They are only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner."

"Where the octane number is raised by blending in ethanol, energy content per volume is reduced."
92 has more ethanol then 87, is it significant? of course not but how some get better mileage from lower energy gasoline?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
I think this depends on what your engine was designed for. If it was designed for premium (RX 2010-2012?) then you will lose power as the car will retard the engine to prevent knock caused by low-octane fuel.

On the other hand, if you have a car designed for regular (RX 2013-2015?), then putting in premium will do you no good. It could also possibly cause you to lose power due to higher ethanol content and therefore less power density.

While the energy density in both regular and premium is similar, how the car utilizes it is a different story.

I could be wrong but this is my understanding.
Old 07-30-15, 12:05 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Also, I have been testing 87 octane in my 2010 RX for 4 months now. So far I have seen a 3.5% drop in MPG (from 19.6 to 18.9) over the same time period last year (April to July).

Since I got new tires before my switch to regular, I could probably attribute up to 2% loss in MPG to new tires. However the old tires only had 17k miles on them and the new tires are LRR tires.

So is premium worth a 11% price increase in Washington for a car designed for premium? Nope!!

-Eric
Old 07-30-15, 02:58 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

ECU will compensate for engine knock associated with lower octane gasoline.

Yes, RX350 is tuned to run on regular, if you will, but same statement can be made for premium, as engine timing will change accordingly based on the engine knock readings.
Old 07-30-15, 08:27 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Our '11 RX runs quieter on premium. No change in MPG around town. Wife likes premium. I guess that's why she married me. Sorry.
Old 07-31-15, 08:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Our '11 RX runs quieter on premium. No change in MPG around town. Wife likes premium. I guess that's why she married me. Sorry.
2011 recommend premium dont they? 2013-15 do not
Old 08-05-15, 11:47 AM
davew277

I'm fairly sure that my 2010 manual states that premium is recommended but regular can be used at reduced performance if premium is unavailable. I take that to mean that premium is what I should use except in an emergency.

I follow the manufacturer's guidelines. If the newer models recommend regular, then that's what I'd use.
Old 08-07-15, 08:45 AM
naytrix
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys! I have contacted Lexus outlining the issue. This is what the reply was:

In regards to your concern, the vehicle is capable of using 87 as opposed to most of our vehicles that require 91 due to the high compression ratio. However, using a high octane fuel will burn cleaner and you will see a slight improvement in fuel economy.
I think I will switch to Premium from now on.
Old 08-07-15, 08:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by naytrix
Ok guys! I have contacted Lexus outlining the issue. This is what the reply was:
uote:
In regards to your concern, the vehicle is capable of using 87 as opposed to most of our vehicles that require 91 due to the high compression ratio. However, using a high octane fuel will burn cleaner and you will see a slight improvement in fuel economy.

I think I will switch to Premium from now on.
and that's why I've said there was no change to the engine.
Toyota 3.5L used regular and gas cost was high when the '12 ES and RX came out and Toyota decided to go 87 with Lexus.
Can't hurt using 87 but for peak performance use premium.
Old 08-08-15, 03:11 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In our 2010 RX we mix both 87 and 91 Octane fuel. I never really notice any big change in power or mileage as a result. Some of our local gas stations do not have a premium / higher octane choice.

Quick Reply: RX350 2012 gasoline grade preference