RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Must-have packages options for 2015 350 FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 01:04 PM
johnsrx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must-have packages options for 2015 350 FWD?

Hello everyone!

Time to sell the 2002 300 and buy a 2015. We've just started shopping seriously and would like to know what the consensus is on packages and options. We've been through the website so we're familiar with everything and would like opinions on the packages/options that are worth the $$$ and those that aren't.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-15, 02:23 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus tends to stock certain combinations of options. You should go to a few dealers and see how the cars are equipped in your area. Some options like HUD (heads up display) may not be stocked in your area. If they do not stock an option you want, then you have to special order and it may be to late for a special order on the 2015's (I don't know). Since you keep your cars for awhile, I would get the best equipped car you can find. My 450h has a lot of options ($7500) and I find them all useful and nice to own.

The only option which I personally consider to be possibly a poor value is Navigation. I don't know how much it costs now, but it was something like $2400 when I purchased my car. It is somewhat core to the operation of the vehicle so an argument could be made to get it. I have it in my car. But, I usually just verbally ask my Samsung Note 4 for directions and they are immediately available. I know the phone maps and info is up-to-date and this just works for me.

One thing that isn't an option, but you should keep your eye on is the tires. The RX can come with any one of three suppliers of tires (Michelin, Bridgestone and Dunlop). There are threads on this forum that discuss these tires. I have the Dunlops and don't like them ... I would recommend avoiding them.

In another forum (RX - 4th Generation) here on ClubLexus you can look at the 2016 Lexus RX that has been announced and will be available later this year. It is a completely new design. Some people like it and others aren't so sure or just can't appreciate the changes. You might want to take a look, if you haven't already.

Lexus site: http://www.lexus.com/concept/RX/

Last edited by UCSB; 06-27-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 05:56 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wait until the 2016, more features for most likely similar prices and new design will keep its value longer.
Old 06-28-15, 07:04 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I am going to respectfully disagree with some of the comments made by both of the previous posts. But before I get into that, let me just point out that this question has been asked before so if you do a search, you will find a similar thread with some additional comments.

First though, for me the "must have" option is definitely blind spot monitoring. My wife and I love it, so much so that we insisted on having it in our other car when we decided to replace it. That is the most unique new feature after coming from a 2004 RX.

Now as to the comments regarding the earlier posts, I do agree with most of UCSB's comments, but respectfully have a different opinion on the value of Nav. Many people tend to be very critical of the Nav units in cars and I'm not entirely sure why. It may be because they cannot literally be updated in real-time like a phone, or they have used some previous interface that they liked better. Frankly I prefer the Nav on the big in-dash display than trying to squint at some tiny hand-held display. I don't mind the occasional need/cost to update the maps every couple of years, but then I also don't drive in large cities where I might be more dependent on the accuracy of the maps or new subdivisions. I also don't need reading glasses to see the dash unit, but I do to read my phone. Now which is less distracting. Now on my 2015 ES, the Nav option was also required if you want the remote app, which allows you to lock, unlock or start the car remotely. It is pretty cool, but you have to maintain the Lexus service each year - I believe they told me it would be a total of 219 per year including the Lexus version of on-star and I am sorry but the exact name of the that service just escapes me at the moment.

Now as to CanadianRX's remarks, I don't exactly disagree, but I CERTAINLY would not wait to make your decision. He or she correctly points out that an entirely new model awaits prospective buyers in 2016 but that is precisely why I wouldn't wait to make your decision as to model year preference. The pictures I have seen of the 2016 show a very different vehicle with the new signature "large" grill that Lexus uses on other models. By Lexus's own admission, they admit the look can be polarizing and not everyone will like it. So my point is that you may prefer to buy a 2015 if you aren't a fan of the new look, just keep in mind with a new design coming out that the appearance of a 2015 will age faster than a 2016. If you wait until the 2016 is actually in dealer lots so you can see it in person, you may be able to get a good deal on a 2015 but your selection could be more limited. From the pictures I have seen, I do not personally care for the new design language, but I am trying to withhold my final opinion until I can see one in person.

Back to options, I also like the heated steering wheel, but keep in mind that only the leather sections of the wheel heat up so it isn't as useful as one might imagine. I wouldn't buy another vehicle without HID headlamps as they help more than you might imagine (as I discovered from a loaner with standard halogens).

As to the packages, I cannot recall what all the differences are between the packages. I like the folding mirrors but I cannot recall which other options come with that package. I also like the heated seats but the heated seats don't get as warm as our 2004 did, and the perforated/cooled seats do very little in an arid climate like we have out here.

Also, in terms of vehicle/phone integration, there are a number of apps available such as iheart radio and open table. I haven't found them to be overly valuable but perhaps other folks can weigh in that have explored them more then I have. I just use the bluetooth integration and the pandora on my phone more than anything.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by TechNut; 06-28-15 at 07:11 AM. Reason: fixed punctuation.
Old 06-28-15, 09:21 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd agree and say wait until the 2016 are out to make your decision. For example when the 2013 came out the deals on the 2012 were unbelievable. Eg. From Canada I could get 6k off a 2013 (in Aug 2012) but if I went with a 2012 still new on lot they had an additional 5k off manufacturer rebate. That's 11k off a brand new car. So I would say wait because you'd probably get more features for the same price on a 2015 around September.
Old 06-28-15, 11:51 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, good luck on your decision.

A couple of additions: While Navigation may not be everyone's cup 'o tea, you'll find that packages and some options (e.g. HUD) have it as a pre-requisite. To Doug's point, given the timing, I'd also closely consider if the 2016 may be something you'll want -- the looks ARE polarizing, so if you don't like the very aggressive appearance, then 2015 is the way to go. You'll find a number of threads where we've tried to help suggest to others that are researching and making their decision like you are. Just grab a favorite beverage and do some scanning on recent threads even in the past month -- you'll find plenty of discussion that may help you.

Good luck with your decision. I look forward to hearing of your decision and seeing a post from you in our Welcome Thread one of these days.
Old 06-29-15, 08:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Here are a few of the larger options I have on my '13 RX350 and my opinion of them:

Navigation - I consider it a must have. We use it all the time. Traffic is right there, without pulling out my phone. We use it frequently and with good results. We also enjoy using Destination Assist, where you call in and have an operator help you find a location, and they can load it directly to your system. I know not everyone likes it, but I wouldn't want to be without it.

Heated/Ventilated Seats - Another must have. Part of the Premium Package as I recall. I literally always have either the heat or the ventilation on.

Mark Levinson Stereo - Meh. It's a good system, and we enjoy it, but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra $1000 or so.

Blind Spot Monitoring - I will never again buy a car without this.

Lexus Parking Assist - Can be useful, can be annoying. It's nice when pulling into tight spots like my garage or other narrow areas, but beeps non stop when reversing out of my garage or while sitting in a drive thru. I've used the Carista app to have the audible alert silenced after 3 seconds. So I'm a bit impartial about it, though my wife, who drives our RX daily, loves it. She drove my IS the other day, which does not have it, and scratched the bumper because "I was waiting for the alert to go off"...

Radar Cruise Control - Absolutely love it. Has three settings for how much room you want to leave ahead of you. Acts quickly and appropriately. Takes some time to get used to it and trust it, but I love it and will buy it again when we purchase a new '16 RX.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-29-15, 08:53 AM
BertL

OP, one last set of pointers from me.

Back in 2012 when I took delivery of my fully-loaded 2013, I wrote up a set of first impressions in THIS THREAD. While a 2013 isn't exactly a 2015, and you're looking for a RX350 vs a RX450h like I have, in reality, they are pretty much the same vehicle, nearly the same body style, and have the same sort of options. There are a few minor tweaks and updates on 2014 and 2015s you'll find referenced elsewhere, but options are nearly the same between RX and RXh and a 2013-2015.

I pretty much agree with JDR76's summary. Of note:
  • Nav for me remains a must. Folks use cell phones and hate the sometimes dated maps standalone solutions like built-in Nav from any mfgr provide, but I don't like taking my eyes off the road, and with the integration the Nav provides with HUD, I get visual turn indications next to the MPH in my normal line-of-sight through the windshield. It has decent integration that way for a first generation, but 4th Gen RX will likely have improvements to catch-up with what other mfgrs have been providing for several years. Even if my RXh had Siri Eyes Free like a 2015 does, I also don't want to have to pay for larger monthly data plans to my cell provider, I travel to places at least a couple times each year that don't have the best cell/data reception for at least a couple hours of that trip both ways, and I have a general lack-of-trust for most companies that collect information about my mapping destinations and choices, so standalone Nav solutions are best for me, and I have my cellphone as backup if I must -- whereas others have no problems paying for perhaps ongoing larger data plans, always have good cellular access, and are OK using supposed "free services" smartphones can provide. You'll find many threads here and across Club Lexus (as well as on most auto sites) on people's views and pros/cons of built-in Nav.
  • I always have music playing in my vehicles, and have Mark Levinson on my RXh, but as discussed ad-infinatum in other threads, bass is lacking and it's a pricey upgrade -- but I'd still have the option if I bought a new RX today, as the two other (lesser) options have sound that is far inferior to my ears and personal taste -- and I don't personally like monkeying-around to install aftermarket sound systems in a brand new vehicle.
  • BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) became available a few months after initial introduction of the 2013's and when I took delivery -- but I agree, I'd never have a vehicle without it again -- love it on my MBZ and wish I had it on my 2013 RXh.
  • I also like Parking Assist, even though it and the similar function on my MBZ give off sometimes annoying feedback -- Fortunately, it's a couple quick clicks on a steering wheel button to disable it when going through a drive-thru lane or some other sort of situation, and another couple of clicks to turn it back on when I'm back on the road.
  • I l-o-v-e my HUD and it's become another must-have for me. You can't have HUD if you don't have Nav. It's not typical to find HUD in a vehicle sitting on a dealer lot.
  • PCS which includes Radar Cruise Control is another thing I'd always have -- but you also won't find a lot of vehicles with it on dealer lots likely because of it's price point -- it's more usual to have to special order a vehicle with it.

Good luck with your pursuit.
Old 06-30-15, 11:52 AM
johnsrx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the great information! When I did a search on "packages" not much came up. I probably need to buckle down and search for the individual elements. Anyway, there's a lot of very helpful stuff here. Dear Spouse has decided to wait for the 2016s (it's DS's car not mine) so we'll have a chance to directly compare the '15s and '16s.

Again, thanks!
Old 06-30-15, 02:09 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by johnsrx300
Thanks for all the great information! When I did a search on "packages" not much came up. I probably need to buckle down and search for the individual elements. Anyway, there's a lot of very helpful stuff here. Dear Spouse has decided to wait for the 2016s (it's DS's car not mine) so we'll have a chance to directly compare the '15s and '16s.

Again, thanks!
Your challenge will always be that CL is a global community, and what options come on the base model of a vehicle even between the US and Canada can vary, as well as which true options are in what packages can also vary by country. It can be hard to keep it straight if folks that post don't have a clear indication of their location within their profile. My suggestion is in your research, look for the "options" themselves you are interested in, then use the Lexus.com US site in your case to determine which options are part of what packages, or if perhaps it's something in the base model you're looking for. That will also be the place that will identify prerequisites if there are any between options and packages.

Just be aware that if history repeats itself with the 4RX, dealers will tend to receive certain combinations of packages with varying color combination models. They don't receive every variation, or sometimes some of the more pricey options, and a smaller number of the higher-end packages in some cases. If the combination of options/pkgs you eventually are looking for isn't generally available, remember that the special order route is available, and most (not all) dealers are willing to accommodate those requests as long as you are willing to wait the sometimes several months it takes to have a custom build created and delivered to you. There are other threads on special ordering should you get to that point in your exploration, as several of us have done it a number of times and we can help with more info should you need it one day.

Good luck with the new RX pursuit. We'll see you over in the 4th Gen Forum.