RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Vibration/wobble at all speeds. Not a tire/wheel issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 08:16 AM
andy00018
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration/wobble at all speeds. Not a tire/wheel issue

Hello, long time lurker first time posting here on CL. I am in need of some help figuring out this vibration issue i have. 2011 RX350 purchased CPO in 9/13. Has been smooth as glass from when we bought it until about 2 months ago. My wife drives it daily but we use it as a family car on weekends. Noticed a slight vibration while driving it about 2 months ago. Ill run through what i have done so far to try to fix/diagnose this. Tires have 20K on them and are Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopias.

It feels like at really slow speeds the car is rocking back and forth like its on a bumpy road (this occurs even on freshly paved blacktop). As you get up more speed you start feeling a vibration and around 60+ is where it is most noticeable. The steering wheel has a slight vib in it but def not shaking, but the body is feel is where you feel it most to the point you can see the seats slightly shaking or if somthing is on the seat it has a shake to it.

Car was first checked by tire installer, tires check visually and rebalanced. No change

Brought the car to the Lexus dealer around me because they have Hunter GS road force balancer.
First time there was snow on the ground and couldn't feel anything on the road test so i brought it back the next week. They said they fully checked the car over and everything looks good. Told them to road force balance it anyway. They did although I don't think they really know how to use it but said all was good.

That day when I got home put the car on ramps noticed right away right rear shock was blown with dirt covering the whole shock body. Called back Lexus made an appt to have it replaced under warranty. They replaced right rear shock and both rear trailing arms. Still no change.

I then swapped out each wheel one at a time with the spare and road tested it. no change

Yesterday I brought it to an indy mechanic around me that has a Hunter Road Force Balancer who is highly recommended on some vette forums. They road force balanced it and all wheels and tires passed no problems with out of round, runout, shifted/broken belt etc.

When i had all the wheels off while swapping them I check for a stuck caliper ( all pads look like they have even wear plus all calipers seemed to move freely, did bearing shake test on all wheels and checked tie rods for play as well as spin wheel looking for runout/ or grinding noise. Also checked CV's , no rotational play although drivers side inner CV has some (maybe 1/8-1/4" of up and down play) don't know how normal this is.

At this point i don't know but could it be a bearing/CV? It has to be something rotational because it happens all the time while moving, accelerating or not, braking or not. Any ideas? I was convinced it was a tire/wheel problem but now I am pretty sure its not after the latest Road Force Balance.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old 06-04-15, 09:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Is this AWD or FWD? If AWD check the driveshaft.
Swap tires/wheels with another RX and take a test drive.
Did the independent shop do all the suspension checks or did you do them while they had it on a lift?
Old 06-04-15, 09:45 AM
andy00018
Driver School Candidate

Its AWD. The Indy checked the suspension while on the lift. I've checked the suspension while on ramps then again when swapping tires with the spare. Only other thing I notices was the front passenger side ball joint had a little crud stuck and you could see some grease. Brought it to the attention of the dealer at the time of the shock and trailing arm replacement but they said it was tight (which it is, theres no play) and they weren't going to replace it under warranty in that condition.

Dont know anyone with another RX but swapping wheels and tires i agree would be ideal, although after this RFB i am at least fairly convinced there's another cause.

As for the driveshaft, do you think it would be out of balance or something else like a damaged u-joint? Even when crawling while idling off the brake at 5 MPH I feel the rocking/slight thump. Years ago I had a '91 GT foxbody mustang 5.0 with an out of balance driveshaft and that made more of a sweeping motion when decelerating only, you could almost feel the car lunging forward with every rotation of the driveshaft.
Old 06-04-15, 09:49 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Since it is under a warranty, if the dealer does not give you satisfaction you can always escalate it to the zone representative. They are much better than dealers at diagnosing a problem vehicle and are more aware of customer satisfaction issues than dealer level staff. There should be contact information in your manual.
Old 06-04-15, 11:48 AM
andy00018
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Since it is under a warranty, if the dealer does not give you satisfaction you can always escalate it to the zone representative. They are much better than dealers at diagnosing a problem vehicle and are more aware of customer satisfaction issues than dealer level staff. There should be contact information in your manual.
I might try another dealer first to see if they can figure out the issue. If not then I will definitely have to go this route. I bought this car so I wouldn't have to deal with any of these issues myself, although I do still enjoy wrenching on cars just don't have the time to do it much anymore - especially the trouble shooting. Yea brakes, oil changes any maintenance stuff I set aside the time and do it at my leisure but to attempt to figure out an ongoing issue is just so time consuming (and painful when you can't pinpoint it).
The following users liked this post:
elbulldog1 (11-01-23)
Old 06-05-15, 06:58 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked for run-out on the brake discs ?
Old 06-07-15, 06:57 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with trying different wheels and tires. I had a similar problem, although not as bad as yours and I got rid of those Duelers. I hated them anyway but as soon as I did, problem solved. Perhaps you might go to the dealer and ask if they will take wheels off a used one and swap to yours just for a test drive. Just don't swap with Duelers. I put Pirellis on and they are fantastic.
Old 06-08-15, 06:57 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm going to vote for an issue with driveshaft or u-joint. I've had both issues in my time on older cars. Did a lot of the things you did with zero effect, before I realized it was nothing to do with the wheels.
Old 06-08-15, 02:37 PM
HiggsBosun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm going to vote for an issue with driveshaft or u-joint. I've had both issues in my time on older cars. Did a lot of the things you did with zero effect, before I realized it was nothing to do with the wheels.
+1
It does sound like a drive shaft issue. I had a bad undercoating job that did that to me once. Hard to find but easy to fix once it was found.
The following users liked this post:
Woleokotoyin (10-31-23)
Old 11-23-20, 10:32 PM
Tritri8298
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you get this figured out???

Originally Posted by andy00018
Hello, long time lurker first time posting here on CL. I am in need of some help figuring out this vibration issue i have. 2011 RX350 purchased CPO in 9/13. Has been smooth as glass from when we bought it until about 2 months ago. My wife drives it daily but we use it as a family car on weekends. Noticed a slight vibration while driving it about 2 months ago. Ill run through what i have done so far to try to fix/diagnose this. Tires have 20K on them and are Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopias.

It feels like at really slow speeds the car is rocking back and forth like its on a bumpy road (this occurs even on freshly paved blacktop). As you get up more speed you start feeling a vibration and around 60+ is where it is most noticeable. The steering wheel has a slight vib in it but def not shaking, but the body is feel is where you feel it most to the point you can see the seats slightly shaking or if somthing is on the seat it has a shake to it.

Car was first checked by tire installer, tires check visually and rebalanced. No change

Brought the car to the Lexus dealer around me because they have Hunter GS road force balancer.
First time there was snow on the ground and couldn't feel anything on the road test so i brought it back the next week. They said they fully checked the car over and everything looks good. Told them to road force balance it anyway. They did although I don't think they really know how to use it but said all was good.

That day when I got home put the car on ramps noticed right away right rear shock was blown with dirt covering the whole shock body. Called back Lexus made an appt to have it replaced under warranty. They replaced right rear shock and both rear trailing arms. Still no change.

I then swapped out each wheel one at a time with the spare and road tested it. no change

Yesterday I brought it to an indy mechanic around me that has a Hunter Road Force Balancer who is highly recommended on some vette forums. They road force balanced it and all wheels and tires passed no problems with out of round, runout, shifted/broken belt etc.

When i had all the wheels off while swapping them I check for a stuck caliper ( all pads look like they have even wear plus all calipers seemed to move freely, did bearing shake test on all wheels and checked tie rods for play as well as spin wheel looking for runout/ or grinding noise. Also checked CV's , no rotational play although drivers side inner CV has some (maybe 1/8-1/4" of up and down play) don't know how normal this is.

At this point i don't know but could it be a bearing/CV? It has to be something rotational because it happens all the time while moving, accelerating or not, braking or not. Any ideas? I was convinced it was a tire/wheel problem but now I am pretty sure its not after the latest Road Force Balance.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

pls let me know what solve this problem
Old 11-25-20, 07:06 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Please do not be offended ... I am merely asking some awkward questions to help diagnose.

1. Did the change happen suddenly or developed over time (gradually)? If sudden, then please speculate on possible causes.
2. Has the dealership acknowledged the problem?
3. Has any shop acknowledged/reproduced the problem?
4. Has any one checked the suspension completely?
5. Has any one checked the engine & transmission mounts for tears or breaks.

Salim
Old 10-31-23, 11:34 AM
Woleokotoyin
1st Gear

Default #8

Originally Posted by HiggsBosun
+1
It does sound like a drive shaft issue. I had a bad undercoating job that did that to me once. Hard to find but easy to fix once it was found.
[QUOTE=Droid13;9068327]I'm going to vote for an issue with driveshaft or u-joint. I've had both issues in my time on older cars. Did a lot of the things you did with zero effect, before I realized it was nothing to do with the wheels.[/QUOTE
I have read all the possible cause for this problem, my 2002 started having this wobbling problem when the drive shaft suddenly fell off and I just went to the junk yard and pulled one off a Lexus RX300 not checking if its AWD or not but right now from what I am reading so far it looks like it's the rear drive shaft, I have put in new tires, new front and rear suspension and it's still wobbling, I have ordered a new rear drive shaft and will keep you posted if it fixes the problem