RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

dealer inventory

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 09:47 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default dealer inventory

Is it excessive for a dealer to have 53 2015 rx 350 left at this point?
Old 05-29-15, 10:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It would depend on dealer size/throughput, but to me, with several months of selling left before the '16s arrive, that does not sound excessive at all. My local dealer currently has 78 on the lot.
Old 05-29-15, 10:03 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Really any amount is excessive..it's their business to get rid of them. The more they have on their lot the more you can negotiate, if you are in the market.
Old 05-29-15, 10:10 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

More selection and more discount for the buyer.
Old 05-29-15, 10:12 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Really any amount is excessive..it's their business to get rid of them. The more they have on their lot the more you can negotiate, if you are in the market.
that is my line of thinking also
Old 05-29-15, 10:20 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought new RX last Saturday and dealer that I bought it from sold more than 35 cars just based on appointments only. Not including walk ins. I am guessing that third of the cars sold probably RXs. So 53 would be just a 5 day reserve.
Old 05-29-15, 05:25 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I personally would also not consider that an excessive number for a higher-volume dealership.

The dealership I special-ordered and purchased my 2013 from had more than 40 2012 RX's on the lot, with a bunch more RXh, and more of each coming every week the day after the 2013's were announced and were still several months from availability -- and their sister Lexus dealership not 20 miles away with the same owner had a similar number of RX available. Remember, the 2016's don't have an official ETA beyond "end of the year", nor even an official MSRP -- beyond a bunch of speculation that people enjoy throwing their 2-cents worth in about. IMHO, it's prime picking time for potential new owners that will be happy with a 2015 RX -- and pricing may get even better once 2016's begin to hit the lots "later this year" as selection of 2015's begin to diminish.
Old 05-29-15, 06:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a bird's eye view of a local Lexus dealer's spare lot from work and see anywhere from 10-30 RXs at any given time sitting there. You have to consider it's getting close to summer. People don't think about buying an AWD SUV this time of year. Supply is going to outweigh demand. I wouldn't be concerned. They'll still sell.
Old 05-29-15, 06:59 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because of the new model arriving maybe Lexus is going to stop production of the current RX early.
Old 05-31-15, 01:18 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Because of the new model arriving maybe Lexus is going to stop production of the current RX early.
No I seen pictures of the RX 2016 and if I was buying now, I would wait until then.
Old 05-31-15, 08:33 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
No I seen pictures of the RX 2016 and if I was buying now, I would wait until then.
I SAW pictures of the new '16 and am waiting also; my dealer does over 300 a month; so about 80-100 RX 350's is normal in stock as it is the best selling Lexus. My '13 is 3 years old today; 32,000 miles.
Old 06-01-15, 11:05 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dctex99
I SAW pictures of the new '16 and am waiting also; my dealer does over 300 a month; so about 80-100 RX 350's is normal in stock as it is the best selling Lexus. My '13 is 3 years old today; 32,000 miles.
I'm trying to get a good lease on 2015 rx,so should i wait?
Old 06-01-15, 02:38 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
I'm trying to get a good lease on 2015 rx,so should i wait?
If you want a 2016, you have to wait and likely pay top dollar the first few months they are available.

If you want a 2015, assuming dealers can't or won't allow a 2015 special-order at this late date in the life of Gen 3's, IMHO you'll get as many answers as there are responders to your question. It's all a crap shoot how things work out with negotiation at any moment in time between a potential buyer, a dealer, the options you must have vs. those you may be able to live without, and how that aligns to available inventory. There are many variables, some you can influence, others you can't. I'll simply restate part of what I had back in post #7:
Originally Posted by BertL
...Remember, the 2016's don't have an official ETA beyond "end of the year", nor even an official MSRP -- beyond a bunch of speculation that people enjoy throwing their 2-cents worth in about. IMHO, it's prime picking time for potential new owners that will be happy with a 2015 RX -- and pricing may get even better once 2016's begin to hit the lots "later this year" as selection of 2015's begin to diminish.
The question is, are you willing to wait and potentially not get exactly what you want? For some people, price is more important that say color and options. For others, a certain color or option is mandatory to strike any deal and own a particular model. Right now, you can probably still get pretty much any combination of 2015 RX you're looking for if you're willing to wait for a dealer to find and bring it in for you. As time moves forward and manufacturing starts the conversion over to 2016's (no one here knows precisely when that is), and then 2015 available volume starts to diminish, you'll have less opportunity to find an exact option match for your dream RX ...but likely the very best deal will go to that person that is willing to accept whatever the last 2015 RX is on some dealer's lot when there are all sort of different 2016's there with more arriving every day. I know it's hard, but IMHO, you just have to decide when to pull the trigger and be happy when you take your new beauty home -- no one else can project with certainty when the best time for your situation will be...

To confuse things, I suppose the next logical trigger point if you're looking for some external thing to nudge you along, is when someone knows and reports for absolute certainty here or by some other means, that the last 2015 has been built in Japan and Canada -- I'm not so sure though that's going to be super clear as it's not officially announced ... someone may just start to get a feel that 2015 inventory begins to diminish on dealer lots before new RX arrive, or maybe someone that gets a special order for a 2016 in receives real confirmation (not just the estimated date that shows up in the system at dealer order entry) of the true build and ship date of their new model. Then, IMHO, it's only a matter of weeks until there are few 2015's left ... but that of course puts you back in the situation I tried to describe above with how important is it to you to have what you want, vs. have perhaps a little better deal and accept whatever "is left".

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-01-15, 04:48 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BertL
If you want a 2016, you have to wait and likely pay top dollar the first few months they are available.

If you want a 2015, assuming dealers can't or won't allow a 2015 special-order at this late date in the life of Gen 3's, IMHO you'll get as many answers as there are responders to your question. It's all a crap shoot how things work out with negotiation at any moment in time between a potential buyer, a dealer, the options you must have vs. those you may be able to live without, and how that aligns to available inventory. There are many variables, some you can influence, others you can't. I'll simply restate part of what I had back in post #7:
The question is, are you willing to wait and potentially not get exactly what you want? For some people, price is more important that say color and options. For others, a certain color or option is mandatory to strike any deal and own a particular model. Right now, you can probably still get pretty much any combination of 2015 RX you're looking for if you're willing to wait for a dealer to find and bring it in for you. As time moves forward and manufacturing starts the conversion over to 2016's (no one here knows precisely when that is), and then 2015 available volume starts to diminish, you'll have less opportunity to find an exact option match for your dream RX ...but likely the very best deal will go to that person that is willing to accept whatever the last 2015 RX is on some dealer's lot when there are all sort of different 2016's there with more arriving every day. I know it's hard, but IMHO, you just have to decide when to pull the trigger and be happy when you take your new beauty home -- no one else can project with certainty when the best time for your situation will be...

To confuse things, I suppose the next logical trigger point if you're looking for some external thing to nudge you along, is when someone knows and reports for absolute certainty here or by some other means, that the last 2015 has been built in Japan and Canada -- I'm not so sure though that's going to be super clear as it's not officially announced ... someone may just start to get a feel that 2015 inventory begins to diminish on dealer lots before new RX arrive, or maybe someone that gets a special order for a 2016 in receives real confirmation (not just the estimated date that shows up in the system at dealer order entry) of the true build and ship date of their new model. Then, IMHO, it's only a matter of weeks until there are few 2015's left ... but that of course puts you back in the situation I tried to describe above with how important is it to you to have what you want, vs. have perhaps a little better deal and accept whatever "is left".

Good luck with your decision!
Two weeks ago, my local dealer called me and left me 2 messages. I called them back a week later and the lady from sales said that the dealer could probably get me the same price or lower on my current 2013 lease. I was transferred to my salesman from the 2013 i leased. He didn't see has positive. The salesman said he would run some numbers and call me back.He has not called me back yet. I was thinking to call him would be a huge tactical error.What do you think?
Old 06-03-15, 07:24 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has been a week? He is not going to call you back.

Quick Reply: dealer inventory