RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disable "auto" funtion of intermittent wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 01:27 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disable "auto" funtion of intermittent wipers?

2015 RX350 with Nav.
Is there a way to disable the "auto" function of the intermittent wipers to gain manual control when in intermittent mode?. With the rain sensor and speed sensor, often even with the intermittent control at the fastest setting, the wipers don't swipe often enough. Especially when driving at slower speed or waiting at an intersection, the intermittent swipe takes so long that I must manually turn on the wiper to low speed. This makes no sense to me. Just because I'm driving slow or at an intersection, Lexus thinks I don't need clear vision?

This is the first vehicle with rain and speed sensing wipers and it will be my last. This is not only annoying it's a safety hazard.

Is there a user configurable setting to change this? Or is it something the dealer can disable?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 05-12-15, 02:09 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Not to my knowledge. They shoehorned this feature into the former intermittent wiper section.
Silly, but what do you expect from a company that did away with the AC button?
It might be possible to disconnect the rain sensor, but idk if that will work or not.
On a side note, make sure the windshield is clean above the rain sensor.
Typically, these work very well 90% of the time, especially in the clear weather.
Driving on salty roads and during snowstorms, not as much.
Old 05-12-15, 02:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I usually find that if I just bump up the interval on the intermittent switch momentarily I can get a single wiper swipe in those situations. Overall I think they're fine, and I while would not avoid a car with them,I certainly wouldn't pass up a car because it didn't have them. I had to laugh a while ago when someone was posting on the NX forum that they weren't going to buy an NX because they really wanted auto wipers on the F Sport and they weren't available.

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Silly, but what do you expect from a company that did away with the AC button?
LOL...You couldn't help yourself, could you?
Old 05-12-15, 07:24 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My windshield is clean, no problem with that. I guess it's just something I'll have to live with. I too find it ridiculous to go through the nav screen to turn on/off the AC. Now that we're getting warmer weather and I'm beginning to use the AC more often this too is becoming annoying. Hard to believe such a nice vehicle can have these annoyances. Lexus corporate should follow these forums and make changes.
Old 05-13-15, 07:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

agreed, my last rx (2005) had them and i did not like them either.
Old 05-13-15, 08:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
LOL...You couldn't help yourself, could you?
Nope. It's that time of the year again. It was 64F outside yesterday and the RX was running the AC.
Old 05-13-15, 11:06 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The GS350 actually starts out with intermittent wipers and you must tap the right stalk tip to enable the Auto Rain Sense. Tap again and it's back to good ole intermittent. The collar ring adjuster is for both, interval delay
for the standard, sensitivity of the sensor with the auto.

The A/C compressor has more to do with dehumidifying than with chilling. A mid to low temp day that is humid
will fog up the windows with a couple people chatting.

I recall that my Dad would curse the automotive devils that designed A/C systems that blew out compressors
in the 60's on 70's (in his American cars). Seems he would press the A/C button on a hot May day after 6 months of inactivity and spin up the compressor that had no oil left on it's bearings!
Old 05-15-15, 06:20 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife has always complained about the same issue on our 2013. She quit using them, and use the 1 swipe option normally for mist. 2 weeks ago, the sensor behind the inside mirror simply fell off the windshield. Since I was going in for new tires anyway, I asked the dealer to reattach it rather than do it myself, which of course, they did. It has resolved my wife's issue with the intermittent wipers, and they now work as expected. I can't even use the most sensitive setting, because it triggers too often.

Just a thought, try getting them to reattach the sensor, and see if that changes anything.
Old 05-15-15, 07:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
My wife has always complained about the same issue on our 2013. She quit using them, and use the 1 swipe option normally for mist. 2 weeks ago, the sensor behind the inside mirror simply fell off the windshield. Since I was going in for new tires anyway, I asked the dealer to reattach it rather than do it myself, which of course, they did. It has resolved my wife's issue with the intermittent wipers, and they now work as expected. I can't even use the most sensitive setting, because it triggers too often.

Just a thought, try getting them to reattach the sensor, and see if that changes anything.
it fell off? wow
Old 10-20-23, 11:08 PM
ErrantGammaRay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved for 3rd Gen GS350, unplug doesn't work

A lot of people say that unplugging the rain sensor 3 pin connector reverts it to intermittent. But it doesn't on 3rd Gen GS350. If it doesn't work for you, I found a thread somewhere I can't remember (derp) but it says you can just take out the plastic window with the gel on it and it goes to intermittent. And it works. I had my windshield replaced and cheaped out and got the non sensing one, thinking it would just be intermittent. Nope. So I tried resticking it, failed. Thought it was a lost cause, but seriously, take the sensor apart and toss the prism and you're good to go.