RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No alarm on 2011 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 02:19 PM
AlrightyJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No alarm on 2011 RX350

I've had my RX for 6 weeks. After locking the vehicle (and seeing that the light for the alarm is flashing on the dash), the alarm does not go off when it should. In other words, I had a friend jostle the car, push on the hood, try to open with the door handles and the rear lift gate ... nothing. No alarm goes off. (And I was in the house, far away.) What good is it if the alarm doesn't sound if someone is trying to break in?! Any suggestions? Do I need to program something? Thanks!
Old 04-30-15, 06:28 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum and on your new-to-you RX.

IMHO, the theft deterrent system is more sophisticated than what you likely expect. It's not like the basic systems in my 1970 or 80's Fords and Hondas. I 've never had one of my Lexus security systems go off on now 5 different vehicles with just jostling a locked vehicle with my hands -- and yes, I've tried it upon delivery after bringing my ride back to my home and giving it the once-over. I believe it will though go off if you break glass (try that at your own expense ), or if you for example, try to raise the locked and parked vehicle such as it is being towed away or jacked up to some varying degree. There are other combinations I suspect, but those are a couple I've read about from others... For obvious reasons, Lexus does not publish the exact things it has it's security systems watching for -- nor did my former BMW or present MBZ.

Enjoy your RX.
Old 04-30-15, 08:11 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Alrighty - No thief would ever do any of the things your friend did to simulate a break-in, in my opinion. What I do read about in the papers is smash and grab thru a broken window. Back in the 70's & 80's we heard many false alarms. Nowadays, not so much, ala Bert's post.
Ray A.
Old 05-01-15, 02:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome AlrightyJ. The Lexus alarm is not as sensitive of alarms of old. It basically goes off if a door or the hood is forcibly opened. Also when a door is unlocked through an open window IIRC. Hitting or breaking a window will only work if you have the Glass Breakage Sensor. Please don't try it at home! I'm fine with the way it operates because there's nothing worse than false alarms.
Old 05-02-15, 07:13 AM
AlrightyJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your comments to this rookie Lexus owner. While I understand nobody wants an alarm that goes off all the time seems there should be some happy medium. I live in an apartment complex where very nice cars get broken into somehow without breaking the glass and I just want to know that if that if such an attempt is made on my car I'll hear an alarm and can react quickly and accordingly. I was hoping there was some kind of way to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm myself but doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks again for your welcoming and informational replies.

Last edited by AlrightyJ; 05-02-15 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 05-02-15, 07:45 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AlrightyJ
...I was hoping there was some kind of way to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm myself but doesn't seem to be the case...
FWIW, my former BMW and present MBZ don't have any adjustability to their security systems either, so I don't see that as something that is common even in the mass-luxury market of which Lexus is a part. Major difference I can think of was with my 335i which was a hard-top convertible. It had an internal glass breakage microphone of some sort that was automatically enabled IF the top and all windows were up at the time the car was locked -- neither my MBZ or Lexus SC430 had something similar to it. The challenge a couple people reported on those forums I used to frequent with the BMW was if the driver locked something alive (like a pet) or someone in the car, they could possibly set it off from the sounds they made or by moving around -- so some wanted to disable the microphone which wasn't something that could be done via a user option.

One thing to consider is, looking into the optional subscription service called Lexus Enform Safety Connect -- it is something you can decide to enable or not, and along with other capabilities most people likely go after it for, it has the ability that once a car is stolen (let's hope not), and the owner has a police report, Lexus can work with the Police to locate your vehicle using it's built-in GPS and cellular capability built into the vehicle. That specific capability is similar to other 3rd party add-on solutions you may also be familiar with -- and those could be other aftermarket options for you to pursue if their capabilities offer additional piece of mind for your situation.

Good luck, and enjoy your RX!
Old 05-03-15, 03:40 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AlrightyJ
Thanks everyone for your comments to this rookie Lexus owner. While I understand nobody wants an alarm that goes off all the time seems there should be some happy medium. I live in an apartment complex where very nice cars get broken into somehow without breaking the glass and I just want to know that if that if such an attempt is made on my car I'll hear an alarm and can react quickly and accordingly. I was hoping there was some kind of way to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm myself but doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks again for your welcoming and informational replies.
In behalf of everyone, you're welcome. I foresee nothing happening to your car. I'm psychic. Welcome to the board.
Ray A.
Old 05-03-15, 04:22 PM
BenRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AlrightyJ, I think the type of alarm you're referring to requires proximity and impact sensors. Proximity sensors detect the surroundings inside/outside of the vehicle. Impact sensors detect things hitting your vehicle. Both sensors would have been triggered by your friend's actions you noted your post.

I don't believe the factory Lexus car alarm has either one. I'm guessing if any openings (doors, rear hatch, hood?) are pried open then the alarm will sound.
Old 05-04-15, 02:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Traditionally, OEM car alarms do not have shock sensors. There is an optional glass break sensor, which "listens" for specific noises that occur when a glass breaks. Don't try this at home.
If you want a more advanced system, then aftermarket is the way to go. You can get a 2-way remote or even a subscription-based smart phone notifications.
Aftermarket systems have certain advantages over OEM, such as thieves not knowing exactly how to bypass the system. OEMs have a few well-known weak spots that a thief will be able to exploit. Security through obscurity is the word.