RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thoughts on Black Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 12:17 PM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Black Rims?

Hi,

I recently had some spare time over the weekend, and I plastidipped the window trims and rims black.

Any thoughts/likes/dislikes about them?

Would love to hear all of your opinions!

Pre-plastidip

Post Plastidip
Old 04-25-15, 12:40 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. I did something similar to my claret mica f sport, but went with a metallic gray. Black didn't look right on my car. I think black wheels look good on white and black cars....with other colors I think it makes the car just look like it has dirty wheels. Nice job.

How easy did you find dipping the window trim? I thought it was a complete pain in the butt.
Old 04-25-15, 01:14 PM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback!

I neglected masking off the windows, so removing the thin dip overspray was a nightmare. However, I used Goo Gone which dissolves the dip very easily, but requires a thorough wash afterwards.
Old 04-25-15, 01:34 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You did a great job. I opted plastidip anthracite grey color on my RX350, I could have easily pick black though. looks good.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x-f-sport.html
Old 04-27-15, 07:42 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

I truly don't understand the recent fascination with black wheels. In my opinion, they lose all definition and look like they need to be cleaned. It's very hard to see them. They nearly disappear in terms of what they actually look like. I think wheels need to contrast with the body color so they stand out as a feature. My 2 cents.
Old 04-27-15, 01:50 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDames2
I truly don't understand the recent fascination with black wheels. In my opinion, they lose all definition and look like they need to be cleaned. It's very hard to see them. They nearly disappear in terms of what they actually look like. I think wheels need to contrast with the body color so they stand out as a feature. My 2 cents.
I have always liked body colored wheels. However, the black or dark, dark grey wheels look good on some colors.

novaman
Old 04-27-15, 08:25 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I don't understand the trend toward black wheels, unless you're going for the urban assault look. Might as well have plain steel black painted wheels. Obviously it's a personal preference, but not for me. If I was shopping for a used car and it had black wheels I'd pass it by unless the dealer was willing to replace them. That's my 2 1/2 cents.
Old 04-28-15, 06:03 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My son did that to his car. There isn't a piece of brightwork on it anywhere - replete with tinted side and backlight; and smoked lenses.

While it's not my personality, it is a sharp and well-executed look - as is the OP's.
Old 04-28-15, 06:53 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=If I was shopping for a used car and it had black wheels I'd pass it by unless the dealer was willing to replace them.[/QUOTE]

the beauty of plastidip (plus added curve rash protection) just peel it right off and done, back to original boring color like everybody else, no replacement hassle needed. just 0.1 cents.

Last edited by vince22; 04-28-15 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 09:07 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I know if I have to ask "I can't afford it", but what does that cost to apply?
Old 04-28-15, 06:23 PM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your two cents.

I think the fascination with black wheels is more popular among the younger generation. Considering that I am only seventeen years old, many of my peers and I strive for a more "aggressive" look in our cars.
Old 04-28-15, 06:27 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm twice your age

I like it

Thoughts on blacking out more of the vehicle? Less chrome?
Old 04-28-15, 06:36 PM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

You are still young, my friend

I have thought about that, but I'm not too sure what to dip.

What chrome pieces should I cover next?
Old 04-29-15, 07:25 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by 343434xx
You are still young, my friend

I have thought about that, but I'm not too sure what to dip.

What chrome pieces should I cover next?
Why don't you have the entire car dipped in black? You could pretend you're driving a stealth fighter, especially at night. Talk about aggressive!.
Old 04-30-15, 06:15 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the look but I am not a fan of it. Up north the black rims look like you've got winter steelies on year round. Also one of the reasons to get the car in black is to let the 'bright' chrome pieces pop. If you're going to black out everything you've got to do everything! Including tail lights, roof rails, grill and all trim pieces.

[Q UOTE=MDames2;9017281]I truly don't understand the recent fascination with black wheels. In my opinion, they lose all definition and look like they need to be cleaned. It's very hard to see them. They nearly disappear in terms of what they actually look like. I think wheels need to contrast with the body color so they stand out as a feature. My 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Black Rims?