RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Should my nav been updated by dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 07:44 AM
GChrome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should my nav been updated by dealer?

I purchased a certified pre owned in Oct (6 months ago). 2011 RX450h. I brang her into the dealer today to get my first oil change and to switch out my winter tires and I inquired about my navigation system being older and If they can see if it needs to be updated.

When I dropped off the SUV this morning they said that the navigation update would be $195 + $129 for the install (almost $400 with taxes). My question is, should this have been updated when I purchased the v ehiclke because it was Lexus certified pre owned?

Any advice ASAP would help and I think it is insane that they are charging me $400 for this!
Old 04-17-15, 07:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

You might have actually purchased your vehicle just before the latest version came out (usually in late Oct or November, at least in the US). So they might have a legitimate fee terms of selling you the new version.

What navigation version do you have currently? Guess the question you probably should be asking if it's the one the RX came with in 2011 is "I expected it would have been updated when I bought it, and I've found it is not - what can you do to correct that" and potentially get some goodwill. I don't believe they are obligated to update the nav system in a CPO car, but I always have checked and made it part of the deal when I bought mine.

Latest version details here
http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/
Old 04-17-15, 08:17 AM
GChrome
Driver School Candidate

I think my version was 11.1, but I'm not 100% sure!
Old 04-17-15, 09:20 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GChrome
I think my version was 11.1, but I'm not 100% sure!
Check out the link Dave provided. The FAQs are a good starting point to get you oriented. You probably want to go there so you know for sure the version you have, but since you don't have your RX at the moment, well...

Nav map updates come out about every year -- in the Fall. Current version for your RX is 14.1 that came out last year. The site can give you a feel for what's changed between versions -- the reality is, if you live and frequent places that have been around for a long time, there have likely been little in the way of actual street/map changes you'd care about, but if you go to places with say new interstates or subdivisions, while it can take years for them to show up, those are the sort of things that may make a difference to you map-wise. IMHO the greater change year-to-year for most people is if you use the Nav search/info capability to find business addresses and phone numbers, those likely change more often and you may get benefit from an updated map... It all really depends. You'll find a bunch of other threads here where we've tried to help folks decided if they wanted to pay for an update themselves, and how often. Me -- I have kept my previous two RXs for 6-8 years each and only updated maps once part-way through ownership of each. I'll likely do the same with my 2013.

IMHO, as Dave suggests, it can't hurt for you to ask your sales person about why your maps are so dated (assuming they are) on your RX. My understanding is also CPO does not say you have to receive current maps with an older vehicle (just like you don't necessarily get say new seats, floor mats, or whatever), so it's really up to the dealer and what you've negotiated in your specific deal. We've seen reports here with all various dealers responses from others asking questions similar to yours: 1) Dealer provided a free update; 2) Dealer provided a discounted update; 3) Customer had to pay for the update them self after they left the showroom floor; 4) ...and at least one escalation I can remember (details are fuzzy in the back of my head) where the owner thought they should have new maps, but the dealer wouldn't provide them for free, so the owner escalated to Lexus Corporate and they intervened in good faith and the owner got maps for free but the dealer I suspect was reimbursed by Corporate.

Good luck ...and enjoy that new-to-you RX!
Old 04-17-15, 09:26 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

There is no requirement for a CPO to have the latest navigation map. It's basically whatever you can negotiate. Looks like the price they gave you is the full MSRP + premium rate for install. My local dealer offers specials on map upgrades once in a while for a lot less than that, so getting it done for less is possible, just depends on where you have to go to someone willing to be reasonable.
Old 04-17-15, 11:04 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can even call other dealers to get pricing on this then have your dealer price match if you find it cheaper.
Old 04-25-15, 09:07 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default I too bought a CPO

I too bought a CPO.....mine 2013.

'After' I had bought it I "inquired" to Lexus Headquarters. My 2013 Lexus had been 'built' in 2012 but the Nav program was dated with an 11. I politely inquired why a 2013 came with a 2011 Nav program. Lexus Headquarters was very nice and gave me the current update, at the time. The dealer installed it for free.

Just lucky??
Old 04-25-15, 09:31 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by NorthGa

'After' I had bought it I "inquired" to Lexus Headquarters. My 2013 Lexus had been 'built' in 2012 but the Nav program was dated with an 11. I politely inquired why a 2013 came with a 2011 Nav program. Lexus Headquarters was very nice and gave me the current update, at the time. The dealer installed it for free.

Just lucky??
I'd say you're "just lucky" and to be happy.

I had the same thing happen with my "first off the line" new 2013 and since the update from 2011 was still current at the time of my May 2012 build-date (IIRC it was VERY late coming out that year for some unknown reason), Lexus HQ and my dealer wouldn't do a free update just after I took delivery in June 2012. I'm still running around with the 2011 version and with only a couple of exceptions seemingly being off the grid according to my Nav so-to-speak, doing fine for where I've traveled in the last almost 3 years. ..but one of these days when I hit the lottery, I'll likely upgrade.
Old 04-25-15, 10:01 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me wonder if the updates cost the dealer anything? $400 is certainly excessive. For me the few places that are not on my 3 year old GPS I just google on my phone and will continue to do so until the Lexus price is reasonable.
Old 04-25-15, 10:35 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by TomT127
Makes me wonder if the updates cost the dealer anything? $400 is certainly excessive. For me the few places that are not on my 3 year old GPS I just google on my phone and will continue to do so until the Lexus price is reasonable.
Most of the maps are procured by Lexus, just like other car mfgrs do in with their vehicles -- so there are licensing costs well beyond what a dealer is involved with, and IMHO and experience with similar things, likely is a bulk of the cost. Lexus according to their website apparently does some other testing and integration of the mapping data they receive before they put their stamp of approval on it -- that is done above what a dealer engages with. Distribution adds something to Lexus' cost, also beyond what a dealer controls. ...and the (controversial*) need to have Lexus Service involved to perform the actual update to the hard disk, and input the key to unlock the mapping data on later MYs adds some cost at the dealer level, with some little bit I suppose at Lexus HQ to deal with managing all those keys and the tools that dealer service techs use out in the field.
* I say controversial, because we can't buy the DVD any more to update our own rides like we used to, but then again, I suspect the whole "key" thing was implemented because of unscrupluous people that made copies of the older DVDs which likely put Lexus as well as other mfgrs using that same data in potential breach of the licensing agreement with the companies like NavTeq that supplies part of the raw data. There are other threads on all that, so hopefully we don't go into it again here. )
...and FWIW, I inquired recently how much it would cost to update the Maps in my 2014 MBZ SLK. An owner can't update it there themselves either. Cost is within a few bucks of what Lexus wants on my 2013 RX450h. I personally am never waiting for the cost to come down to update maps in any of my vehicles. IMHO, it's won't. What I do though with my Lexus (can't with my MBZ as they don't make any of the info available online) is get on their Navigation website and look at what's changed each year to make a determination if there are areas changed that would justify my taking the leap for an update. I also take every opportunity with sales people, being part of owner surveys, and advisory councils, etc to push my desire to have CarPlay in all my vehicles so I can seamlessly use my iPhone with my car and maps -- and then not have to worry about updating the maps in my vehicle. It took years for Lexus to listen and stop requiring SiriusXM NavTraffic here in the US to see traffic in conjunction with Nav Maps. Now they use the FM band, like my MBZ does, making that service effectively free in areas where the signal and data are broadcast. Hopefully Lexus will do the same with CarPlay and Droid-equivalent one day.
Old 04-25-15, 02:50 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when my maps get so old to the point where its unbearable i think i will invest in a garmin with lifetime updates for major trips. no gps upgrade is worth $400 IMO. 2015 one would assume map updates would be free.
Old 04-25-15, 03:43 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa

Just lucky??
No - Blessed.

I bought a new 2013 in November of 2013; and it had a 2012 Nav.

In January of 2014 (that's two months later), my dealer charged me $169 + $104.95 labor plus tax plus CUST PAY MISC SUPPLIES to update my Nav to the 2013 edition.

It's now 2015; the 2014 edition is out; and it gives me heartburn over the notion of paying another $300 to have the latest update (and that the Navigation updates aren't free during the warranty period).
Old 04-25-15, 04:53 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GChrome
I purchased a certified pre owned in Oct (6 months ago). 2011 RX450h. I brang her into the dealer today to get my first oil change and to switch out my winter tires and I inquired about my navigation system being older and If they can see if it needs to be updated.

When I dropped off the SUV this morning they said that the navigation update would be $195 + $129 for the install (almost $400 with taxes). My question is, should this have been updated when I purchased the v ehiclke because it was Lexus certified pre owned?

Any advice ASAP would help and I think it is insane that they are charging me $400 for this!
Well, the dealership wanted $324 to install the latest Lexus Navigation DVD. That just about takes the prize for overcharging. This newest GEN05-14DVD costs if you buy it a little over $100 dollars. That means that the dealership paid actually about one half that. Have you ever inserted a CD or DVD into a player? That is how long it takes to update the Lexus Navigation. It is best to buy the DVD and install it yourself. Takes only about five minutes. I actually did this, updating from version GEN05-11 to 14 and found the update was not that compelling, roads were the same and the only thing different were new restaurants or lodging.
Old 04-26-15, 06:18 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Well, the dealership wanted $324 to install the latest Lexus Navigation DVD. That just about takes the prize for overcharging. This newest GEN05-14DVD costs if you buy it a little over $100 dollars. That means that the dealership paid actually about one half that. Have you ever inserted a CD or DVD into a player? That is how long it takes to update the Lexus Navigation. It is best to buy the DVD and install it yourself. Takes only about five minutes. I actually did this, updating from version GEN05-11 to 14 and found the update was not that compelling, roads were the same and the only thing different were new restaurants or lodging.
I used to update maps myself using DVD on my 2nd Gen 2006 RX400h and previous Lexi as well. I agree it's the best choice for those with Gen 2-5 DVD-based Nav that are OK doing a little DIY to save a few bucks. It is such a simple process even my technology-challenged Mother (as she calls herself) could do it.

In case it's confusing for folks following this, there are lots of different "generations" being discussed, e.g.
  • 2nd or 3rd Gen RX -- the vehicle itself
  • Nav Generation -- the underlying technology that stores, uses and displays the map/data content; Specific MYs of different vehicles have only a certain Nav Generation in their design
  • Generation of the map/data content itself -- this is what changes every Fall, and customers can optionally purchase; Part of the numbering scheme indicates the year the data was released.

2nd Gen RX used DVDs for map data like most other Lexi in their day, but a change occurred when Gen 5 Hard Disk Nav systems for some Lexus models like the LS was introduced in 2007, but it didn't happen until 2010 on our 3rd Gen RX when the Gen 6 Hard Disk Nav became the standard. Rather than a DVD, a USB Key was then required for updates that also mandates an authorized Lexus Service Technician be involved to use their online tool to enter and validate a one-time-use key as the new maps and data are loaded to the internal hard disk. Gen 7 Nav was introduced with the updated head units in 2013 RX refresh, but still requires Lexus Service be involved with map updates. The net is, it's not possible for any 3rd Gen RX owner to update their own maps, and they must have a Dealer involved with the process.
From what I've read, it does appear Lexus is evolving again (perhaps they listened to some of our cries) as Gen 8 Nav on CT, IS, GX (and probably others by now) are using a Micro SD card for updates and "Customer" is once again indicated as who can perform the update in the documentation. It remains to be seen for sure, but we can hope 4th Gen RX will allow owners to do their own map updates as well.
For folks searching this thread in the future, THE LEXUS NAVIGATION SITE is the place to always find current map content, what's changed from the version you have in your ride, a bunch of FAQS that will likely answer nearly all your questions, etc. I've had it bookmarked for years as my go-to reference (even before Club Lexus on this particular subject ), and you may want to as well.
Old 04-26-15, 08:16 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good info Bert. I didn't know that Lexus went to a hard drive system for the Navigation on the 3rd Generation RX. It makes sense and is no doubt a money maker for the dealerships.

Quick Reply: Should my nav been updated by dealer?