RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2015 or 2013 CPO

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 11:28 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2015 or 2013 CPO

I've been debating between those two:
2015 new MSRP 46k sales price 41k
2013 CPO listing price of 36k including navi (not a big fan of lexus navi)
Based on my understanding Lexus offers new car financing for their CPO which is currently at 1.9% for 60 months.
Also, since the new model is coming out in a month, should I wait for the price to drop? (not going to buy the new model since wife doesn't want anything bigger)
So, please help me understand what's the major difference between 2013 and 2015 model and is the RX 350 reliable after warranty?
Or should I be looking for a used RX not certified by Lexus but sold by private party?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-15, 11:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Off the top of my head, the only changes made between the two years would be that the '15 will have a newly shaped remote touch interface mouse, SIRI hands free (for iPhone), and LED fog lights. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

How many miles are on the '13?
Old 03-10-15, 11:55 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Off the top of my head, the only changes made between the two years would be that the '15 will have a newly shaped remote touch interface mouse, SIRI hands free (for iPhone), and LED fog lights. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

How many miles are on the '13?
Thanks
Around 25k miles on the 2013 RX
Old 03-10-15, 06:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Sounds right. Plus, Cabernet color interior is available now (on F Sport only) and the "Lexus" logo on the radio face changed from gold to platinum on the '15.

To the OP, the '16 RX is expected to be unveiled at the New York autoshow in April so if this is important to you, wait a few weeks (expect a bigger NX on the outside). If you're not fond of the next RX and you want a great deal soon, the '15 RX is a strong value proposition at 41K. It's what I'd buy for 5K more over the CPO, and you'll make that money back in the resale (2 years newer) and in savings on not having to replace wear/tear items (tires, brakes, etc) in the near term.

Good luck!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-10-15 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 10:38 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sounds right. Plus, Cabernet color interior is available now (on F Sport only) and the "Lexus" logo on the radio face changed from gold to platinum on the '15.

To the OP, the '16 RX is expected to be unveiled at the New York autoshow in April so if this is important to you, wait a few weeks (expect a bigger NX on the outside). If you're not fond of the next RX and you want a great deal soon, the '15 RX is a strong value proposition at 41K. It's what I'd buy for 5K more over the CPO, and you'll make that money back in the resale (2 years newer) and in savings on not having to replace wear/tear items (tires, brakes, etc) in the near term.

Good luck!
That's what I was thinking also, for only $5k more I could get a new one just without navi which I don't need. But I didn't factor in ware/tear items, thanks. Also I've been told financing rate is much higher for used ones than new cars. So I guess I will wait a few weeks for a new one.
Btw, will the new and bigger 2016 RX model effect 2015 model MSRP. And if it does, will I see the price change sometime in April or May? Thanks.
Old 03-12-15, 01:31 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I imagine dealers will be more likely to offer better discounts on the 2015 once the new model actually has a release date/starts shipping. Just because it is shown at an auto show in April doesn't mean dealers will have it then...
Old 03-16-15, 09:23 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I went into the dealership this weekend and got the following offer from them:
1. New MSRP $45k selling at $41 with 1.9% APR for 60 months. But including tax and fees, it will bump it back up to around $45k.
2. 2013 CPO with navi 26k miles, MSRP when new $47.5k, now selling at $35k around $38k after tax and fees with 3% APR.
I intend to keep the car for more than 8 years, both dealership told me if I'm keeping the car this long, I should be buying the pre owned car since the resell value by then wouldn't be much since new car depreciates more for the first two years. I'm not sure why both sales were pushing me towards pre owned RX, I thought they would make more money on the new ones.
Most of you here have tons of experiences with RX and sales, please help me understand which one is the better deal for my family. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-15, 09:50 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

just found this online: http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...-is-better.jsp
Old 03-17-15, 06:45 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryanmeow
Ok, I went into the dealership this weekend and got the following offer from them:
1. New MSRP $45k selling at $41 with 1.9% APR for 60 months. But including tax and fees, it will bump it back up to around $45k.
2. 2013 CPO with navi 26k miles, MSRP when new $47.5k, now selling at $35k around $38k after tax and fees with 3% APR.
I intend to keep the car for more than 8 years, both dealership told me if I'm keeping the car this long, I should be buying the pre owned car since the resell value by then wouldn't be much since new car depreciates more for the first two years. I'm not sure why both sales were pushing me towards pre owned RX, I thought they would make more money on the new ones.
Most of you here have tons of experiences with RX and sales, please help me understand which one is the better deal for my family. Thanks in advance.
There is typically more money to be made on a used car. Trade ins sometimes are taken in below market value.
Old 03-17-15, 07:12 AM
recycled
Rookie

For my own vehicle I tend to be a used car purchaser. My wife's 2002 Camry was new and expensive back in 2001. My latest acquisition is the 2011 RX350 bought back in September of last year. It was a CPO with 40k miles. One third off the new price and I bought the extended warranty.

Previous car was a 2001 Porsche Boxster sold for one half what I paid for it as it needed $5000 in engine work. No warranty and was not a good year round car. I must admit I like a good deal. The RX is a great vehicle, reliable, has warranty and no worries unlike an old Porsche. If the RX was new I would worry about parking lot rash. Now I just don't worry about it.

If you are thinking about the used RX get a PPI done and check for accident damage. The peace of mind is worth it.

Enjoy whatever you decide. Either way you should be happy. It is a solid vehicle.

Cheers, Guy
Old 03-17-15, 09:11 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by recycled
For my own vehicle I tend to be a used car purchaser. My wife's 2002 Camry was new and expensive back in 2001. My latest acquisition is the 2011 RX350 bought back in September of last year. It was a CPO with 40k miles. One third off the new price and I bought the extended warranty.

Previous car was a 2001 Porsche Boxster sold for one half what I paid for it as it needed $5000 in engine work. No warranty and was not a good year round car. I must admit I like a good deal. The RX is a great vehicle, reliable, has warranty and no worries unlike an old Porsche. If the RX was new I would worry about parking lot rash. Now I just don't worry about it.

If you are thinking about the used RX get a PPI done and check for accident damage. The peace of mind is worth it.

Enjoy whatever you decide. Either way you should be happy. It is a solid vehicle.

Cheers, Guy
Thanks, btw how much did you pay for the ext warranty? Lexus CPO has 3 year/100k miles warranty already, I'm thinking about adding a few years on top of it but not sure how much it's gonna cost me if I do decide to go with a CPO.
2012 RX model is much cheaper than 2013 since it looks slightly different, not sure if it's a wise choice to go with 2012 instead of 2013.
Old 03-17-15, 10:26 AM
recycled
Rookie

Thanks, btw how much did you pay for the ext warranty? Lexus CPO has 3 year/100k miles warranty already, I'm thinking about adding a few years on top of it but not sure how much it's gonna cost me if I do decide to go with a CPO.
2012 RX model is much cheaper than 2013 since it looks slightly different, not sure if it's a wise choice to go with 2012 instead of 2013.
Hi Bryan,
I had one year of regular warranty left and I elected to get 4 more years. That cost me $4000 Can or about $3200 US. To me it is worth it for peace of mind. It is quite a bit of money but is refundable after the warranty period is over if I don't claim.Of course the financial guy is pushing this because of what can happen etc. After having owned a Porsche I know how expensive a car can be off warranty. So I know that a CPO is less $$ than new but I don't mind spending on extended warranty.

Many may disagree and say buy new but with the $$$ saved I can look at a used Miata as well to replace the Boxster. Yes I do have a car addiction!

Cheers, Guy
Old 03-18-15, 11:09 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

What's the difference between 2012 and 2013 RX 350?
Are they all considered to be in the 3rd gen?
Thanks.
Old 03-18-15, 11:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

What's the difference between 2012 and 2013 RX 350?
Are they all considered to be in the 3rd gen?
Thanks.
Yes, the 2012 and 13 are considered 3rd gen RXs. Differences are somewhat significant, however.

The '13 will have new taillights and headlights that incorporate the LED daytime running light strip. It'll have the newly restyled front fascia that includes the "spindle grill". Blind Spot Monitor is available on '13 but not '12. Inside, you'll find an updated Remote Touch Interface, updated navigation with Lexus Enform (Pandora, Bing, etc.), a new steering wheel, and I believe some other small trim changes. Mechanically, however, they are basically the same.
Old 03-18-15, 12:54 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the 2012 and 13 are considered 3rd gen RXs. Differences are somewhat significant, however.

The '13 will have new taillights and headlights that incorporate the LED daytime running light strip. It'll have the newly restyled front fascia that includes the "spindle grill". Blind Spot Monitor is available on '13 but not '12. Inside, you'll find an updated Remote Touch Interface, updated navigation with Lexus Enform (Pandora, Bing, etc.), a new steering wheel, and I believe some other small trim changes. Mechanically, however, they are basically the same.
Thanks! Sales ppl lied to me lol

Quick Reply: New 2015 or 2013 CPO