RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 01:20 PM
tvollaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues

I have several issues with this vehicle. The 1st is the drive train which I find very unrefined. Throttle tip in is extremely sensitive and the 8 speed transmission doesn't know what gear it wants to be in especially on hills.

The other issues is the build quality. The hood and outside rearview mirrors shake when going over bumps.

Some of the interior materials are cheap plastic. The dash cover is defective. You can see the outline of the front passenger air bag in the cover. This area is also not smooth and uneven. Not what I expected from Lexus. My 10 year old GX was perfect.

A very disappointing vehicle. Does anyone else with this model have any of these issues?

Thanks
Old 02-24-15, 01:22 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

How long have you had it? You sound like you have a case of buyer's remorse. Have you brought your complaints to the dealer? Some possibly could be fixed by them. Trade it in for something else.
Old 02-24-15, 02:18 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Tom, welcome to the forum but sorry you seem so dissatisfied. Can you post photos of what you're talking about with the dash build quality and maybe a short video of the hood and mirrors shaking? 1st of all, your dash cover in the F Sport should be no different than any others and you're the 1st I've heard describing it like you did. Have you been back to the dealer?
Originally Posted by tvollaro
I have several issues with this vehicle. The 1st is the drive train which I find very unrefined. Throttle tip in is extremely sensitive and the 8 speed transmission doesn't know what gear it wants to be in especially on hills.

The other issues is the build quality. The hood and outside rearview mirrors shake when going over bumps.

Some of the interior materials are cheap plastic. The dash cover is defective. You can see the outline of the front passenger air bag in the cover. This area is also not smooth and uneven. Not what I expected from Lexus. My 10 year old GX was perfect.

A very disappointing vehicle. Does anyone else with this model have any of these issues?

Thanks
Old 02-24-15, 06:03 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

simple answer, go get another GX.

Last edited by vince22; 02-24-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 06:55 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must agree with you regarding the transmission. It is one of the issues that is pushing me to trade my car in for something else. Mine is a 2013 f sport. There are times when I really can't stand driving it. My major gripe is that the car will remain in a very high gear when going very slowly so the throttle hesitation is horrible when you try to accelerate. There have even been multiple occasions when, after a slow turn, i step on the gas and after a very brief moment of slight acceleration, the engine seems to die....meaning the rpms drop suddenly and giving it more gas does nothing until it downshifts (as many as two gears as far as I can tell) and then violently takes off. It does make me wonder if this is an issue with having so many gears? either way, as soon as I find something else I like it will be gone.

The suspension of the f sport has also worn out its welcome. I didn't realize how annoyingly firm it was until we got a 2014 Acura MDX last year. While the road vibrations are worse in the mdx, the mdx handles just as well and has a much softer suspension. I am beginning to think that I should have paid more attention to all those auto journalists who gave the f sport very bad reviews because of these two problems I mention here. I could fix the suspension issue by swapping out the stock shocks for the base model versions, but that leaves me with the throttle issue. I hate to get rid of it because I love the ergonomics of the cabin, the size, and build quality (to me anyway), and user interface. Plus i will lose a decent amount of money, after the clear bra, roof rails, trailer hitch, and window tint. But I don't know how much longer I can stand to drive it. I am considering a gs (base, not f sport) since I don't want or need another large suv like the gx.

Last edited by viperdoc; 02-24-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 11:01 AM
tvollaro
Driver School Candidate

Jim - I have been back to the dealer numerous times. The Lexus rep finally came to see the vehicle after a 3 month wait. They agreed to replace the dash pad, however when the new one came in it was the same poor quality. Since the entire dash would have to be removed to replace the pad, and the dealer would not guarantee not rattles, squeaks, etc, I decided to forgo the replacement. I will get pics of the dash and attempt to record the shanking hood and mirrors.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-25-15, 11:04 AM
tvollaro
Driver School Candidate

Been to the dealer numerous times. They have not corrected any of what I perceive as problems. Their answer is this is normal. See my reply to Jim.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-25-15, 12:14 PM
harleybob
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree with a lousy dash pad - light and dark and spotty all over I looked at several other vehicles who have the same issue mine is black it doesn't look as bad as what I would call the dark brown ones black seems to show the worst I will say this I use the product call protectant 303 and it seemed to cover up a lot of it and made it look a lot nicer a little shy near but not greasy and not very glossy also the hood shake mine does it at highway speeds I would say it's more of a flex up and down I think wind is getting underneath it and buffeting the whole lot but that's my guess all in all I got to say I'm one of the best quiet riding vehicles I have ever owned
Old 02-25-15, 04:56 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive had mine for 2 years and there's no issues with it. Ride is the same as it always was with a great balance of comfort and handling.

If you're hood and mirrors are shaking when you go over a bump, id be wondering if you're car's been in a crash to be perfectly honest, especially if you're saying you can see the outline of the front passenger airbag.

Get some pics on here or we can't really tell what's wrong/right
Old 02-26-15, 12:40 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Ive had mine for 2 years and there's no issues with it. Ride is the same as it always was with a great balance of comfort and handling.

If you're hood and mirrors are shaking when you go over a bump, id be wondering if you're car's been in a crash to be perfectly honest, especially if you're saying you can see the outline of the front passenger airbag.

Get some pics on here or we can't really tell what's wrong/right
You don't count, LOL. 2 digits on your model don't match the one OP has.
Old 02-26-15, 03:25 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
You don't count, LOL. 2 digits on your model don't match the one OP has.
Doesnt matter, from a cosmetic point of view, the RX F-Sport is the same and in no way should the hood and mirrors be shaking lol
Old 02-28-15, 09:16 AM
tvollaro
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Folks. I will get pic's of the dash ASAP. I will need a GoPro to get a good video. Don't know if the iPhone video will do.
Old 02-28-15, 09:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly most of these issues sound like nothing. My GS costs more and has way more serious issues. And I can see the airbag spot on my dash too.

At least you don't have a leaking sunroof or a horrible creaking noise in the headliner or a car that goes dead whenever it wants to. Squeaky brakes? The list goes on and on.
Old 03-03-15, 07:39 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Honestly most of these issues sound like nothing. My GS costs more and has way more serious issues. And I can see the airbag spot on my dash too.

At least you don't have a leaking sunroof or a horrible creaking noise in the headliner or a car that goes dead whenever it wants to. Squeaky brakes? The list goes on and on.
I have heard of the sudden engine shut-off issue. Any fix from Lexus? Sounds like a significant safety hazard to me.
Old 03-03-15, 09:28 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Doesnt matter, from a cosmetic point of view, the RX F-Sport is the same and in no way should the hood and mirrors be shaking lol
I'm referring more to the ride quality than cosmetics. There had been numerous complaints about rear suspension of the 350, meanwhile 450h is just perfect, most likely due to more weight in the back and better distribution of such.

Quick Reply: 2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues