RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 12:49 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Seat belt

Ok, I been through 2 Lexus dealerships and they wont shut off the gosh darn seatbelt beeping noise this car is driving me crazy. I always wear my seatbelt but not when I hop into and drive out of my driveway.

My question is just like how BMW has theres is there a computer program where you buy a usb of some sort and plug it into your computer to shut it off yourself? It's those machines that let you check engine RPM's and what your car is doing and such.

Any help would be great thanks!

update; the only thing I was able to fine is something called techstream
Old 02-24-15, 01:12 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Paging Carista. Carista, isle 1!

Got no grief from my dealer. No questions asked. Same happened to a Toyota we had before.
The only time I got some pushback was from a Subaru dealer a few years ago. However, they were kind enough to print me instructions on how to disable it. This time around I just went on youtube for the STi.
Old 02-24-15, 02:40 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi

Yup, our app - Carista - can do this

All you need in terms of hardware is an ELM327 device (Bluetooth for Android or WiFi for iOS). The paid functionality in the app currently costs $19.99 and gives you unlimited access to customizations and diagnostics. One of those customizations is turning off the seat belt chime. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-24-15, 02:56 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

You might consider going to the auto salvage yard and buy a seat belt buckle from a totaled car like yours. I would think that you could just plug in the spare buckle any time you did not want to get the seat belt alarm?
Old 02-24-15, 03:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
You might consider going to the auto salvage yard and buy a seat belt buckle from a totaled car like yours. I would think that you could just plug in the spare buckle any time you did not want to get the seat belt alarm?
The purpose of this request is not to defeat the seatbelt system, but to disable the chime.
Old 02-24-15, 03:45 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Hi

Yup, our app - Carista - can do this

All you need in terms of hardware is an ELM327 device (Bluetooth for Android or WiFi for iOS). The paid functionality in the app currently costs $19.99 and gives you unlimited access to customizations and diagnostics. One of those customizations is turning off the seat belt chime. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Does the APP come with a special cable?
Old 02-24-15, 05:27 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Does the APP come with a special cable?
No cable is needed. Get the Bluetooth adapter mentioned and it is a wireless connection to your Android phone. There is an iPhone version now but I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Old 02-24-15, 05:40 PM
cliffinaz
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the iPhone version on an iPhone 6. It is a beta version that gets an update every few weeks. Works well on the 2013 RX 350. Won't work on my 2002 Tundra but it was disclosed in the download that it may not work on earlier vehicles.
Old 02-24-15, 08:00 PM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The purpose of this request is not to defeat the seatbelt system, but to disable the chime.
I use a seat belt extender, available on Amazon, eBay or better yet Google it to make sure you get a quality part that doe not comprise the seat belt system. Mine is a perfect match color and style wise, and actually makes connecting the seat belt a tad easier.
Old 02-25-15, 05:08 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The ELM327 WIFI reviews on Amazon don't inspire confidence. Are the any other options that work with the new Carista app for iOS?
Old 02-25-15, 06:08 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
The ELM327 WIFI reviews on Amazon don't inspire confidence. Are the any other options that work with the new Carista app for iOS?
We've gotten good reviews about this one:
Amazon.com : iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2 OBD II WiFi Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for IOS iPhone iPad PC with Switch Auto Sleep(Black+Blue) : Car Electronics Amazon.com : iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2 OBD II WiFi Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for IOS iPhone iPad PC with Switch Auto Sleep(Black+Blue) : Car Electronics

(but to answer your question, you do need an ELM327 WiFi device in order to use Carista on an iPhone, but there are many different manufacturers/brands/sellers of those devices, so there's a wide variety to choose from... some good, some bad).
Old 02-25-15, 06:17 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GregT
I use a seat belt extender, available on Amazon, eBay or better yet Google it to make sure you get a quality part that doe not comprise the seat belt system. Mine is a perfect match color and style wise, and actually makes connecting the seat belt a tad easier.
+1 I have one of these and it works great.
Old 02-25-15, 08:34 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers in the US are probably a little lawsuit shy and have good reason not to disable safety system alarms. Your heirs might sue for millions if you were done in while not wearing the seat belt,
Old 02-25-15, 10:42 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I drive our car four houses from mother-in-law's to home, about half a long block, without buckling up by not touching the accelerator, thereby keeping it under 10 mph and the chimes don't come on. The chimes are a PITA. Hope this helps. Ray A.
Old 02-25-15, 12:32 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
i bought this one and haven't had any problems with it for three cars (a lexus and two scions):
Amazon.com : iKKEGOL WiFi OBD-II ODB2 Car Diagnostics Tool for Apple iPad iPhone iPod Touch PC IOS Andorid Phone (Black) : Electronics Amazon.com : iKKEGOL WiFi OBD-II ODB2 Car Diagnostics Tool for Apple iPad iPhone iPod Touch PC IOS Andorid Phone (Black) : Electronics

Quick Reply: Seat belt