RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Loaner car?

Old 01-14-15, 12:18 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loaner car?

As a new member I'm wondering about the loaner car policy at Lexus dealers. I'm taking my two week old RX 350 in this week to have the body side molding installed and when finalizing the deal they said I'd get a loaner and it was confirmed when service called to schedule the appointment. Is it standard policy for the dealer to always provide a loaner car for routine service?
Old 01-14-15, 12:29 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It depends on the service. You get 2 complimentary services with a loaner with a new purchase (1K and 10K).

When I paid out of pocket for my IS300 to have tires mounted/balanced or an alignment done, the loaner would not be included in the price. However, for warranty work and oil changes, I got a loaner. I've been told it depends on how much work is being done. Don't quote me on oil changes as I don't do them at the dealer.
Old 01-14-15, 12:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My dealer provides a loaner for services longer than 2 hours, otherwise they offer a shuttle service.
Old 01-14-15, 01:56 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, Loaners are at the discretion of your Dealer. There is no standard, and each Dealer sets their own policies. It is one of the differentiators dealers have when you both purchase and go in for service. You'll find other threads here where there has been discussion of some Dealers wanting you to refill the tank to the same level it left with or they charge an astronomical amount of money (mine does); some that charge a set $ amount for gas; others that only have loaners for certain types of service; others that require you schedule a loaner at time of setting up your service appointment; some dealers that don't necessarily provide a Lexus loaner unless you also purchased the car from them (I had an economy Kia loaner via Hertz of all things, at one dealership I don't go back to), etc. Contact your preferred dealer for their specific loaner policies.
Old 01-14-15, 04:36 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

kmar, tell us how you like the body side molding. I am thinking about it also. Was it expensive for the part and the labor?
After its done, can you take a photo of it. Would love to see it.

thanks...
Old 01-14-15, 07:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The official loaner car policy from Lexus Corp is that if the vehicle has warranty work and needs to be kept overnight, they will give you a loaner vehicle. However, dealers have them own policies and it also depends on your relationship with the service advisor. I used to get loaner vehicles overtime I went in, even for small service visits where no oil change was done. But service advisor of 14 years has left and now its only for the bigger routine maintenance
Old 01-14-15, 08:24 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Body side molding is white plastic base material and painted to match the car. If the side molding gets dinged, it will show up white and need touch up.
Old 01-15-15, 05:16 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been asked if I wanted a loaner during oil changes but I usually turn them down. I prefer to wait for oil changes, state inspections or other minor work that takes 2 hours or less.

It's just more convenient for me, and I would rather not leave it with them to squeeze into a space on the lot while they wait for me to pick it up.
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (08-30-22)
Old 01-15-15, 03:58 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RGSW
Body side molding is white plastic base material and painted to match the car. If the side molding gets dinged, it will show up white and need touch up.
that doesn't bother me. I have a white rx.
Old 01-15-15, 04:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I have been asked if I wanted a loaner during oil changes but I usually turn them down. I prefer to wait for oil changes, state inspections or other minor work that takes 2 hours or less.
Me too but mostly because I'm not crazy about jumping into a loaner after driving 45 minutes. It's been a few years since the last time I took one. The only downside I don't get to drive anything new, LOL!

kmar, like everyone said the policy for loaner vehicles vary from dealer to dealer. And I agree with Bert, it's best to contact your dealer to find out. Having a good relationship helps too.
Old 01-15-15, 04:14 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Our dealer has always offered me a loaner regardless what service or work I have performed. Ours is a 2010 CPO we have owned for a year. I felt it was one of the benefits of buying locally and having them do the service.
Old 01-15-15, 09:23 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I get a loaner for all services at the dealer that I bought the RX from. I guess that's why I pay C$130 for an oil change. Loaner plus car wash and vacuum.
Old 01-15-15, 11:38 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_rx
I get a loaner for all services at the dealer that I bought the RX from. I guess that's why I pay C$130 for an oil change. Loaner plus car wash and vacuum.
I've had mine for 5 years, bought new in 2009.

When I took my car in for its last service (routine oil change) I was told they no longer allow loaners for anything other than 4 hour + services.

Instead of having a fleet of loaners, they've now outsourced it to a local Enterprise shop.

I don't think I'll be doing much service at the Lexus dealer any more - the loaner was the big draw for me, since it was on my way in to work. I'd drop it off, pick up the loaner, and drive 30 miles to work. Stay the day, head home, and pick it up along the way. I work too far away for their shuttle service to be any use to me.

Old 01-16-15, 07:39 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
I've had mine for 5 years, bought new in 2009.

When I took my car in for its last service (routine oil change) I was told they no longer allow loaners for anything other than 4 hour + services.

Instead of having a fleet of loaners, they've now outsourced it to a local Enterprise shop.

I don't think I'll be doing much service at the Lexus dealer any more - the loaner was the big draw for me, since it was on my way in to work. I'd drop it off, pick up the loaner, and drive 30 miles to work. Stay the day, head home, and pick it up along the way. I work too far away for their shuttle service to be any use to me.

^^This isn’t good. When I service my Cadillac CTS-V I get an Enterprise rental as a loaner and each time the experience has been horrible, specifically the condition of the Enterprise loaners. I hate leaving my car but the last two times I had no choice. I have rented cars in the past and while I understand that some people beat the crap out of rentals the Chevy Cruze I was given was at another level.

It was filthy inside and out and looked like it hadn’t been washed or vacuumed in months. Bird droppings all over it and the instrument panel displayed “Oil Change Due”. I could go into more detail but believe me when I say it was really disgusting. And the most annoying part is the Enterprise rep always trying to up-sell me $31.00/day rental insurance on a loaner vehicle.

When I complained to my SA he told me that the Enterprise rep said it would be another 45 mins to an hour before they could get me another car so I left since I needed to get to work. Since this was the second time I had experienced this type of treatment from Enterprise I complained to Cadillac corporate about this. The client relations rep gave me the typical response that it was a dealer issue and they have nothing to do with it.

My father who is 71 also has a CTS-V and has experienced the same type of treatment from Enterprise at another Cadillac dealer in our area.

Last edited by JT4; 01-16-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 10:10 AM
kmar
Driver

Here's my loaner car experience. I dropped off my new RX 350 this morning to have body side molding installed and the roof rack cross rails removed. The SA filled out the usual work order and loaner car agreement paperwork and I was on my way. The loaner is a 2015 RX 350 Hybrid. They said nothing about replacing the fuel I use. But then I'll put less than 20 miles on it total. So far so good.

Yes as Anita the moderator pointed out I meant to say the loan was a 450 Hybrid.

Last edited by kmar; 01-17-15 at 04:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loaner car?