RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service at dealership damaged my car.

Old 01-14-15, 07:36 AM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Service at dealership damaged my car.

So, I have had nothing but issues with the local Lexus dealer here in North Miami, FL. The Service Dept. has done nothing but upset me, and cause more problems.

I have a 2015 RX, and got it 07/14. Three weeks into ownership I brought it in for a squeaking noise from the power tilt steering wheel. I read on here that it just needed more lube on the "worm" gear, and ask about it at the dealer. They said, NO. They said, they HAD to replace the ENTIRE steering system, and would be a big job, and would be without my car for about a week.

I asked, can you just add lube to the gear like I read online? They said no, and that what I read online is not always true. I said, I don't want you to replace the entire system, that seems un-nessary to me, and I was shocked that a brand new car would need this. I knew that they just wanted to bill Lexus for work that did not need to be done, and I was VERY upset.

I even asked to PAY for the lube to be added, and they refused.

So, I got back in my car and drove over an hour to next closest dealer, and they took a look and 15min later it was fixed with more lube added to the worm gear.

I get home, and I called the Service Manager from the first dealer, and he did not offer much apology. In fact he more less stood his ground, and that it should have been replaced. (well I can tell you that some 6 months later the issue is still fixed, so he was wrong!).

Anyway (now it gets good)..

I drop the car off on 01/09/15 for an oil service (I wanted to pay for one at 5K) and for them to detail the car. I had a loaner for two days, and I go back to get it.. and there is a door ding on my passenger side door with fresh white paint on it (my car is black). They deny the marks, and show me a condition report that says there were marks all over the car. LOL. There were NO marks ANYWHERE on the car! I told them the valet guys just must mark all cars with dings to cover their butt. They were so nasty about it, I called the local police to come. The police unfortunately were no help, and said there was really nothing they could do to help me. Great. So, before I left I went to the on site colision center and they could tell it was fresh and just happened. In fact, they were able to quickly run off the white paint, leaving not a dent line about 2" long on the passenger door. They said to repair it, they can do painless dent removal, would be maybe $200 BUT requires them to take apart the door liner from the inside and massage the dent out :-(

NEXT...

I get home, and carefully look over the paper work to find that they patched one of my tires???? They said on the paperwork that the tire light was on, and that there was a nail in the tire?? WTF? There was never any light on!! No one called me to tell me.. whats going on?

So, I call and speak with my SA and he tells me that thats standard if the tech finds a problem they patch the tire. He was also VERY condisending on the phone.

I hung up. I had enough. I called Corporate Lexus.

Told them everything.. and then wrote a pointed email to the Service Manager, and CC'ed my Sales Rep that sold me the car. I got a phone call from the Service Manager, saying that someone should have called me to tell me about the tire to give me the choice to patch or replace. No one did, so they are offering to replace the tire at no cost. Second, they said they understand I went to the collision ctr, and spoke with someone about the dent, and offered to also cover that at no cost.

The problem.. is that I am hesitant to even go back there. They may fix one problem, and create another

What would you do?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-15, 08:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Good call on calling the corporate!
I would stay far away from this dealership.
2 days to get an oil change seems a bit excessive. So much for detailing the car - all you got is a new door ding out of it.
Absolutely have them pay for the PDR service. If the paint was not damaged and PDR works, then you walk away scott-free. I'd take them up on the free tire replacement as well. Just don't leave the car there for long.
Old 01-14-15, 08:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Tharr62, I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you've been having. The way I see it, you have two options. Give the dealer the opportunity to fix the tire and dent (i.e. make things right) or bring your RX elsewhere to have them addressed. I know most would pick the latter. The quandary is not knowing if that's a viable option in your situation. I can understand your hesitation having gone through a similar problem years ago. In my case I not only moved on from the dealer but to another brand. But please be assured not all Lexus dealers are like this.

Also, I'd request that you don't post the dealer's name while you're trying to come up with a satisfactory resolution. It won't necessarily help and could in fact make things worse. I wish you luck and please keep us posted.
Old 01-14-15, 09:05 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. So much for friendly customer service. You really don't need their kind of help.
Old 01-14-15, 09:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharr62
So, I have had nothing but issues with the local Lexus dealer here in North Miami, FL. The Service Dept. has done nothing but upset me, and cause more problems.

I have a 2015 RX, and got it 07/14. Three weeks into ownership I brought it in for a squeaking noise from the power tilt steering wheel. I read on here that it just needed more lube on the "worm" gear, and ask about it at the dealer. They said, NO. They said, they HAD to replace the ENTIRE steering system, and would be a big job, and would be without my car for about a week.

I asked, can you just add lube to the gear like I read online? They said no, and that what I read online is not always true. I said, I don't want you to replace the entire system, that seems un-nessary to me, and I was shocked that a brand new car would need this. I knew that they just wanted to bill Lexus for work that did not need to be done, and I was VERY upset.

I even asked to PAY for the lube to be added, and they refused.

So, I got back in my car and drove over an hour to next closest dealer, and they took a look and 15min later it was fixed with more lube added to the worm gear.

I get home, and I called the Service Manager from the first dealer, and he did not offer much apology. In fact he more less stood his ground, and that it should have been replaced. (well I can tell you that some 6 months later the issue is still fixed, so he was wrong!).

Anyway (now it gets good)..

I drop the car off on 01/09/15 for an oil service (I wanted to pay for one at 5K) and for them to detail the car. I had a loaner for two days, and I go back to get it.. and there is a door ding on my passenger side door with fresh white paint on it (my car is black). They deny the marks, and show me a condition report that says there were marks all over the car. LOL. There were NO marks ANYWHERE on the car! I told them the valet guys just must mark all cars with dings to cover their butt. They were so nasty about it, I called the local police to come. The police unfortunately were no help, and said there was really nothing they could do to help me. Great. So, before I left I went to the on site colision center and they could tell it was fresh and just happened. In fact, they were able to quickly run off the white paint, leaving not a dent line about 2" long on the passenger door. They said to repair it, they can do painless dent removal, would be maybe $200 BUT requires them to take apart the door liner from the inside and massage the dent out :-(

NEXT...

I get home, and carefully look over the paper work to find that they patched one of my tires???? They said on the paperwork that the tire light was on, and that there was a nail in the tire?? WTF? There was never any light on!! No one called me to tell me.. whats going on?

So, I call and speak with my SA and he tells me that thats standard if the tech finds a problem they patch the tire. He was also VERY condisending on the phone.

I hung up. I had enough. I called Corporate Lexus.

Told them everything.. and then wrote a pointed email to the Service Manager, and CC'ed my Sales Rep that sold me the car. I got a phone call from the Service Manager, saying that someone should have called me to tell me about the tire to give me the choice to patch or replace. No one did, so they are offering to replace the tire at no cost. Second, they said they understand I went to the collision ctr, and spoke with someone about the dent, and offered to also cover that at no cost.

The problem.. is that I am hesitant to even go back there. They may fix one problem, and create another

What would you do?

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your problems.

When I bring any of my cars in for service and they're doing a visual inspection with the condition report I always leave with a copy, it's a two part form.

My cars are spotless so if they tried to put a bunch of false marks on the condition report to cover their butts I would bring it to their attention and ask them to show me.

Does your dealer not offer a copy of the condition report to you?
Old 01-14-15, 10:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I never got a condition report for my vehicle any time I was in service.
Only what state the loaner is in.
Old 01-14-15, 11:48 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I never got a condition report for my vehicle any time I was in service.
Only what state the loaner is in.
I always do and actually with MB the SA would do the inspection. And if there was any mark or scratch, no matter the size he would point it out to the customer. I even witnessed an SA show a woman how bad the curb rash was on her rims. As we know dealers vary on how they handle things
Old 01-14-15, 12:31 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

It may be related to the area you are in. Not a single dealer in my area, for different brands of cars too, had done this.
Old 01-14-15, 01:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I always walk around the car with my iPhone camera and the SA and we agree that the car is pristine when going in for service. I don't let them wash or detail the car, EVER. I have a bunch of 4x5 pages that say DO NOT WASH in the glove box. I put one on the dash and have the SA staple one to the work order. I pick up the car and inspect carefully to be sure no damage has occurred prior to accepting it and turning in the loaner. I do this, even though I've had great service from my Lexus dealer, as a precaution just so they can't pull that kind of BS. Most Lexus dealerships are excellent. Some are not long for the Lexus brand. Contacting Corporate is the right way to deal with this. Frequent complaints affect their pocketbook.
Old 01-14-15, 02:31 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I'm VERY sorry to hear of your problem. I'd be totally whacked-out myself. Fortunately my last 4 (of 5 since '94) dealerships have always provided a condition report at time of drop-off, and that makes my life simple if I ever were to have a problem. In fact, I once did with a rim that ended up with several nicks from I suspect a wrench or lug nut that went flying when rotation was done -- I saw the problem upon pick-up, sadly reported it to the car jockey who fetched my SA, and a replacement rim was installed a couple days later -- loaner and many apologies included. I very much agree with Jim, keep copious notes to yourself, and report it to Corporate. Good luck!
Old 01-14-15, 04:34 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happen to me. I had an RV at the time. Went into the glass shop to work on window leak. After it stayed at the shop over night, I found my awning had been ripped. Look like it hit something and ripped it. Of coarse the shop denied it. I called the owner, but she stood her ground. I had to go to court and I won.
Old 01-15-15, 06:39 AM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You all so much for taking the time to respond. I agree, that I think its just the area I live in.. the mindset of people here is not the best :-/ A part of me wants to just forget it.. leave the small ding, and forget about the tire and never go back there again. I almost worry about that fact that I am sure I pissed them off with my situation, and I called corporate.. and etc.. so, kinda like pissing off the cook before you eat.. LOL. Maybe this time they will do something else, maybe inside the cabin when they pull apart the panels.

But, this maybe just me thinking too much. All I know, is after three strikes I never want to go back there again for anything! But, at the same time if I want the issues fixed, I will have too. Thats the tricky part that I am debating now.
Old 01-15-15, 07:20 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts

We absolutely love our 2013 RX 350, but procuring it from the closest dealer (170 miles away!) was a horrible experience, including attempts to get us to sign paperwork to buy the car for FAR more than the agreed upon price. By FAR the worst buying experience of our lives.

We wonder why Lexus allows for this kind of behavior.....I guess as long as they move cars, no one really cares.
Old 01-15-15, 10:14 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Tharr62, give Lexus Corporate a call back and basically tell them you've given the dealer three attempts and prefer not to go back again for the tire and dent repair. Suggest another dealer or ask them for a recommendation. Some don't like to take on another dealer's problem but if you explain you're looking for a new place to bring your RX, they'll probably work with you. It's not an unreasonable request, at least to me. Your experience to date has been disappointing to say the least. But hopefully you can find a dealer that'll take the best care of you and your RX.
Old 01-15-15, 10:34 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharr62
Thank You all so much for taking the time to respond. I agree, that I think its just the area I live in.. the mindset of people here is not the best :-/ A part of me wants to just forget it.. leave the small ding, and forget about the tire and never go back there again. I almost worry about that fact that I am sure I pissed them off with my situation, and I called corporate.. and etc.. so, kinda like pissing off the cook before you eat.. LOL. Maybe this time they will do something else, maybe inside the cabin when they pull apart the panels.

But, this maybe just me thinking too much. All I know, is after three strikes I never want to go back there again for anything! But, at the same time if I want the issues fixed, I will have too. Thats the tricky part that I am debating now.
Refuse to go back there and tell them to pay to have it fixed at a different shop/dealer of your choice. Your other option is to take it back to that dealer and just stand there while they do the work so you can make sure they don't screw other stuff up or pull something. And then never go back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service at dealership damaged my car.