RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

13'/14' RX350 or 15' NX200t

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 02:39 PM
Riceater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13'/14' RX350 or 15' NX200t

I've been looking at the newer RX350 but see that the NX200t is due to come out soon with a starting price that's about what I'm looking to spend on a used RX (~35k).

My question is would any of you wait/save for the NX or just stick with a used RX350 for the money?

Though I haven't seen the NX200t in person, it looks like it will be a little cramped versus the RX (not a huge deal but worth considering) but certainly seems to be one-upping the RX in the styling department both inside and outside.

Also, the idea of having a brand new car versus a car with 30-50,000 miles already on it sounds nice.

Anyway, discuss!

Last edited by Riceater; 11-30-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 03:24 PM
recycled
Rookie

My wife and I looked at the NX two months ago but elected to buy a used 2011 RX350.
Why?The RX is about 5 inches longer and has way more space in it than the NX.

Also I have heard that the NX's suspension is harder than the RX Although the suspension is firm enough in the RX on the smooth roads it is really smooth. On rough roads it is quite rough. I am happy we chose the RX. So far so good. Warm and comfortable in cold weather. CPO and warranty. No worries.
Guy
Old 11-30-14, 03:25 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Two different sizes.

You'll need to decide which one fits your needs.
Old 11-30-14, 03:25 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

all about your wants and needs. IMO they are 2 different vehicles. if you dont mind smaller go for nx. personally ive never bought a first generation (or first run of a generation) car. the 13/14 rx is about as perfect as they will get as far as reliability for the 3rd gens
my 2 cents
Old 11-30-14, 03:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Tough one... I'm actually moving from my current RX to the new NX in just a couple weeks as I like getting into new models.

If room, ride comfort, and quiet ride is your priority, this is where the RX is better. If you are fine losing 10% interior room and 25% cargo, enjoy sharper handling, firmer ride, easier manoeuvrability/parking, and "must have" the latest product offering, NX is for you.

NX cargo comparison with the RX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...thread-11.html

Note however at 35k at this time, you will get a base model FWD 200t missing Nav, leather, power hatch, premium sound, memory package, etc that you can have with a used RX for that price. So another thing you need to determine if this is important to you.
Old 11-30-14, 04:33 PM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Tough one... I'm actually moving from my current RX to the new NX in just a couple weeks as I like getting into new models.

If room, ride comfort, and quiet ride is your priority, this is where the RX is better. If you are fine losing 10% interior room and 25% cargo, enjoy sharper handling, firmer ride, easier manoeuvrability/parking, and "must have" the latest product offering, NX is for you.

NX cargo comparison with the RX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...thread-11.html

Note however at 35k at this time, you will get a base model FWD 200t missing Nav, leather, power hatch, premium sound, memory package, etc that you can have with a used RX for that price. So another thing you need to determine if this is important to you.
I think you hit it. I certainly prefer the "newer" ambiance that the NX would provide but if it's going to cost me another $5-6k+ to get an NX with comparable equipment to a used 13' RX then I may as well just stick with the RX and have the roomier, more luxurious ride quality. Especially since I don't make enough to justify having the latest and greatest of vehicles yet.
Old 11-30-14, 05:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Riceater
I think you hit it. I certainly prefer the "newer" ambiance that the NX would provide but if it's going to cost me another $5-6k+ to get an NX with comparable equipment to a used 13' RX then I may as well just stick with the RX and have the roomier, more luxurious ride quality. Especially since I don't make enough to justify having the latest and greatest of vehicles yet.
My first Lexus was a 2 year old used 04 RX as it was financially the sensible choice. I absolutely loved it and the 20k I didn't lose in depreciation.

Looks like you made the sensible choice. Good luck!
Old 12-01-14, 01:27 AM
Riceater
Driver

I also have a somewhat off-topic question.

When I looked at the Lexus, the dealer told me that the RX doesn't come with adaptive cruise control (you know, the kind that brakes for you when there's a slowing/stopped vehicle in front of you) but I read earlier that it's an option with the "Pre-collision system"

My question is how do you KNOW your car has this feature or not?
Old 12-01-14, 06:24 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^there should be a button on the steering wheel for it
also this is a factory option and when i was shopping my local dealers had 0 with adaptive cruise. so im not sure if its hard to find or you need to special order an rx
Old 12-01-14, 07:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Yes, the adaptive cruise is definitely available, as I have it on my RX (and love it). As greeknasty said, there is a button on the right hand side of the steering wheel (below the menu buttons) to set the distance between you and the car in front of you. That's the easiest way to tell. Also, if you're under the hood, you can see the radar unit, which is located just behind the "L" emblem on the grill.
Old 12-01-14, 11:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Riceater,it sounds like you've made up your mind. But I'd suggest taking a look at this thread from another member trying to choose between the RX and NX. My suggestion is to drive both before making a final decision. Don't worry, if you go with the RX, nobody will know which model year you're driving except you. It's been the same since the refresh for '13. And dynamic laser cruise control is bundled with pre-collision system. I special ordered it on my 450h. They're pretty rare to find otherwise. I infrequently use the cruise control part. PCS has come in handy a few times.

Here's a picture of the steering wheel button greeknasty mentioned. Also notice the picture on the cruise control stalk. The "L" emblem up front is buried under a cover. Otherwise I would've taken a picture.
Attached Thumbnails 13'/14' RX350 or 15' NX200t-img_0810.jpg  
Old 12-08-14, 09:15 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in same situation. I dont have a problem to get the new NX.. I have been waiting for so long. Planning to get AWD Fsport Navigation. 200t with every options in it but when I checked out last week at the dealer. Im so sad that the back seat was small for one car seat and two adults on the back and we are asian. Now Im cosider to buy a used RX2013-14 with navi but the price is so close to the new one. I can afford the new one but I hate to buy a last year model and the new one is around the corner. I have to give my car to my sister she did not have a car to drive. Im pulling my head now. Hopefully I can find a used 2013 less than 40k with the right color and navi. Back to the topic. If you dont need the back seat to carry more people than I would get the NX in a heart beat. New technology new driving experience and the turbo engine, the sport seat, the tech.
Old 12-11-14, 10:45 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

If you are looking for the best deal on a new vehicle, it might be better to wait, we bought a 2014 RX 350 just as the 2015 RX's were hitting the dealers lots and came away with a fully loaded one, with a MSRP of $49k (US) for $42k (plus taxes & etc).

When I spoke with my Lexus salesman this week, he flat out said they were NOT giving huge discounts on the limited supply of NX's that they have.

Meaning someone could end up paying as much for an NX as we did for our RX..

That is why "IF" I decide to go with an NX, I will be waiting until the dealerships are fully saturated with inventory or the next model year (which will hopefully have the ML Stereo and HUD)...