RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hatch Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 09:38 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Hatch Damage

My darling wife reversed in the garage with the hatch open and did a custom job on the back door as it caught on the roll-up door. I was understanding and not angry, of course. It's in the shop. Then I got stung by a bee as we left the shop. Not a good day. $500 deductible and a rate increase because we were "at fault" AAA insurance. I wonder if they will cover the "Bling".
Old 11-08-14, 10:06 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

That's really too bad.

Such a common mistake though. I get so paranoid with the RX in the garage. I can't fully open the hatch if the roll up door is open, but can when the garage door is closed. Then when it is open, I get super paranoid if anyone gets near the garage door button to open it!
Old 11-08-14, 01:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

As of right now, I don't think there is any way to change the opening height of the hatch. Cant find it in the Lexus personalized settings
Old 11-08-14, 03:21 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

It is a common mistake! It's no less depressing knowing that others have done it too, though. I speak from experience. Mine was an $800 paint repair when I tried to go into the garage with it open.

You have my sympathy.
Old 11-08-14, 04:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

raylor. so sorry to see your RX hurt. I read the title of the thread and was thinking, oh no, not another tailgate mishap. I'm glad you're staying calm about it. Hope everything turns out well. And make sure they save your bling.
Old 11-08-14, 05:01 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by kitlz
raylor. so sorry to see your RX hurt. I read the title of the thread and was thinking, oh no, not another tailgate mishap. I'm glad you're staying calm about it. Hope everything turns out well. And make sure they save your bling.
Thanks everyone for your understanding and sympathy. Will update when it's over.
Old 11-08-14, 05:49 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it a few times with past and current RXs. Fortunately it has only resulted in a slight scratch on the plastic! No, the hatch on the current RX cannot be adjusted.
Old 11-08-14, 06:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It's too bad Ray, but you're a class act for being a good guy about. Your wife is a lucky gal.

Good luck with the RX, and curious what the scope of the work is and cost.
Old 11-08-14, 06:54 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a bumper sticker saying "stuff happens". Very sorry and I love your compassion for your wife, that's the real stuff. I could tell you about the curb story. I backed in and parked my Vett by the curb then got in after supper and just turned right until the rocker panel was making the sick sounds of shredding fiber glass but I won't. I just paid the bill for the repair and kept quite, they did a great job and it can't be noticed .
Old 11-08-14, 07:31 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I've done it a few times with past and current RXs. Fortunately it has only resulted in a slight scratch on the plastic! No, the hatch on the current RX cannot be adjusted.
I deleted the hatch height adjustment suggestion. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-09-14, 02:30 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a small "DECAL" stuck on the outside of the rear hatch near the bottom of the glass. If I can't or don't see the "Decal" in the rear view mirror, then I don't back out of the garage. Also there may be a message on the dash warning that the rear hatch is open, also a red door warning symbol. Plus if you don't see the TV camera showing the area behind the vehicle, the rear hatch is probably open. Sorry for your loss...........
Old 11-09-14, 04:28 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ouch and echo the sentiments about taking the high road with your wife. I hope I can follow your lead should that occur with us. The reality is that in 25 years of marriage, I am the only one that has had an accident and it was my fault. I was backing our Avalon at the same time a Ryder truck was backing into the same bit of real-estate. I lost.

Anyway, I too have had a little incident with the hatch on our 03 RX. Fortunately, it only resulted in a minor paint scratch. I closed the garage door with the hatch up. I realized my mistake at the last moment, but the damage was already done.

A good body shop can really work magic and you won't even be able to tell it ever happened. Please do keep us posted on your repairs.

Doug
Old 11-09-14, 04:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

RGSW, great suggestion about using the sticker to know the tailgate is closed. There is a warning that appears on the dash when the tailgate is open while the RX is in gear. But it's still possible to drive away or reverse with it open. Unfortunately some members have learned the consequences the hard way. And apologies to your wife, raylor. I'm not trying to make her feel worse. Instead she can consider herself part of an exclusive club
Old 11-10-14, 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This reminds me a bit of when I hit the garbage can while backing our RX out of the garage. I forgot I had moved the garbage can out from its usual spot and behind the RX. As I backed the RX out of the garage, I obviously wasn't looking at the backup camera, nor was I paying attention to the parking assist sensors going crazy, as they always beep when I pull in or out of the garage. I just wasn't looking at which ones were going off. As my 3 year old says: "oopsie!". The signals were there, I just wasn't using them. Luckily, it's just a soft plastic can and no damage was done.

Mistakes happen, learn from them, fix them, move on. Glad it wasn't more serious.
Old 11-10-14, 08:32 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to see this, it will be back in the garage before you know it. Fortunity it doesn't sound like there was any damage to the garage door too.

Quick Reply: Hatch Damage